Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas gift ideas for aunts in their late 80s and early 90s please.

(35 Posts)
Clematisa Fri 06-Nov-15 17:07:02

Looking for inspiration please... I usually give my aunts the same gift and in the past have given them a plant or similar sent straight to them, from a usually reliable site but last year the plants weren't up to scratch so am now looking for inspiration... any ideas please?

soontobe Fri 06-Nov-15 17:36:01

Food hamper/gloves/hat and scarves/torch

Clematisa Fri 06-Nov-15 17:42:48

Thanks soontobe, should have said under £20 for each aunt... think the food hamper would be too expensive but like the idea of a hamper and the other ideas.

Alea Fri 06-Nov-15 17:44:04

Vouchers for posh afternoon tea (or a handwritten one, which you take them to, if you love ve near the nough) would be nice.

Alea Fri 06-Nov-15 17:45:11

iPad!!! Live near enough. not what it said!!! blush

JamJar1 Fri 06-Nov-15 17:46:08

There are some lovely talking books or a Christmas collection to read?

Indinana Fri 06-Nov-15 17:48:16

How about a nice Dundee cake? Unfortunately the postage is usually quite high, but you should be able to get one including P&P within that budget. Or scented candles maybe? Scented drawer liners / lavender bags?

annsixty Fri 06-Nov-15 18:16:40

My mother loved little jars of jam and marmalade so she could have a variety.I would buy individual Christmas puddings which she could have after Christmas, the little truckle cheeses, again for variety and in fact anything she wouldn't buy herself, There is plenty of choice in the good shops at this time of year.

Antjexix Fri 06-Nov-15 18:24:58

You could make your own hamper with thinks like abook,candles,bedsocks ect.

Antjexix Fri 06-Nov-15 18:25:24

Things not thinks...

rosequartz Fri 06-Nov-15 18:28:19

I bought an elderly aunt who was in a care home some nice soap and a towel which matched - Lily of the Valley I think by Crabtree and Evelyn. (the towel had some lily of the valley embroidered on it.)

rosequartz Fri 06-Nov-15 18:33:33

I couldn't find them on the Crabtree and Evelyn site, but here's a link to Whitstable Lavender soap and embroidered towels:
www.whitstablelavender.com/contents/en-uk/d27_TOWELS_-_Embroidered.html

suzied Fri 06-Nov-15 18:50:58

Anything you can eat or drink is always good.

OlderNoWiser Fri 06-Nov-15 18:55:15

A good bottle of wine is appreciated by most people.

Galen Fri 06-Nov-15 19:00:37

Ive bought my 93 year old aunt the Chanel Coco that she loves.

M0nica Sat 07-Nov-15 11:45:21

When I reach an extreme age, I am now in my early 70s, the last thing I will want is to be treated as if I am a dear little old lady. Forget the lavender, cakes, and toiletries, I would like something frivolous; my faourite tipple if I still drink, proper perfume, as suggested by Galen, frivolous items of clothing.

When DM was in her 80s I was still buying her - and she was still wearing - lacy underwear and nightwear, my sister gave her a pampering session at a beauticians, she loved it.

stillhere Sat 07-Nov-15 13:54:08

The present that was most appreciated by my grandparents was Boots vouchers. I found it quite odd, and fondly imagined that they would be spending them on hand cream and other such items, but my grandmother told me that they were delighted with them because they found vitamins and cold remedies and other such things that they couldn't get on prescription, so expensive. As result, that's what the older aunts were given and they seemed just as pleased.

rosesarered Sat 07-Nov-15 13:59:17

The Boots vouchers are a good idea ( presuming the aunts get out and about) and can be spent on practical things or little luxuries.

Clematisa Sat 07-Nov-15 15:56:03

Wow - lots of ideas so many thanks! The oldest one is amazing at 91 and she's holding Christmas Dinner for all her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and various exes too, lol! The youngest one is off to Spain for Christmas and New Year! Not sure what the middle one is doing this year yet... they all live too far away to take presents so that's why I have sent them via internet in the past.

seacliff Sat 07-Nov-15 17:18:22

They sound a very lively pair - good for them!!

I was going to suggest you visit in New Year and take them somewhere lovely for tea, but now read they live too far away.

Vouchers are sometimes felt to be a bit of a "cop out" by the giver, but actually many I know, including me, like them. Its good to choose your own treat in the New Year, and Boots deliver if they can order online.

GrandmaGigi Sat 07-Nov-15 17:20:18

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

aggie Sat 07-Nov-15 17:46:43

nice try Gigi ....... self ads never work

Alea Sat 07-Nov-15 17:49:09

Reported <yawn>

rosequartz Sat 07-Nov-15 17:50:43

wanted to share it with all of my friends
I never had a friend called Gigi before! grin

ps the thread is for pressies for elderly aunts in their 80s and 90s, not grandchildren.
Plenty of choice out there for the DGC - who always seem to know exactly what they want anyway!

trisher Sat 07-Nov-15 18:23:00

My mum loved the calendar she was given with family photos for each month. My DIL got it on-line I think. Also do they like pampering-voucher for manicure/pedicure/facial?