New sink

kittylester Wed 18-Nov-15 16:54:15

We are replacing our current sink so we can get rid of the bloody waste disposal which seemed like a good idea at the time confused

We currently have 1.5 bowls and draining board. I'm thinking we should have just 1 bigger bowl and draining board but will I miss the small bowl?

loopylou Wed 18-Nov-15 17:03:22

I'm not sure kitty....I'd love a double-drainer but they're like hen's teeth hmm.

I'm gradually convincing he-who-needs-nagging DH we need a new kitchen, it's 25+ years old and knackered. The sink's half bowl is breaking up and we need new work tops so might as well start afresh.....

I might even get a dishwasher too!! grin

Charleygirl Wed 18-Nov-15 17:06:42

I have never had anything other than a larger bowl and draining board and if I was choosing again, that would be my preference. I suppose a lot depends on how much you use the smaller bowl.

tanith Wed 18-Nov-15 17:15:03

I have a 1.5 bowls and draining board , I do use it a lot for peeling and washing vegs but as Charelygirl says depends on how much you use it (I'm guessing thats where the waste disposal is situated). I would miss it if I didn't have it.

kittylester Wed 18-Nov-15 17:16:32

We have a dishwasher so don't need much in the way of either washing or draining. As the waste disposal is in the small sink we don't use it for much but I don't know whether one to actually use would be useful!

HildaW Wed 18-Nov-15 17:19:03

kittylester....I too got rid of the one and a half set up that the builders put in this kitchen. I went for the biggest single metal one I could find. I've done ceramic before and got tired of the cleaning procedures needed. I love having one big sink....I never have to wrestle with big roasting tins etc.
However, I do have a scullery with a sink in too and sometimes there are days when having another sink is very useful especially as it gets used for all those messy things I do not want anywhere near by food prep....such as sluicing the dog down!!!!

Greyduster Wed 18-Nov-15 17:25:50

I would miss mine too. I also use it for prepping veg, and it has a removable draining basket which is very useful. DD has a split butler sink which has a waste disposal fitted - theirs also seemed like a good idea at the time, but it has rarely worked and properly and is now surplus to requirements.

Anya Wed 18-Nov-15 18:00:07

I had a Belfast sink and I'll be having the same again in the new kitchen.

Ana Wed 18-Nov-15 18:03:39

I love those, Anya! Hope I can have one if and when I move...

ninathenana Wed 18-Nov-15 18:27:23

I've only ever had one large stainless steel sink. DD had 1.5 in her last rental it was just somewhere else for her to pile dirty dishes grin as there was no dishwasher.
The only advantage I found was I could tip slops down the small one if I'd got hot soapy water in the big one.

Anya Wed 18-Nov-15 23:11:27

Funny how similar our tastes are Ana

Envious Wed 18-Nov-15 23:40:24

The most common sink in America is two equal bowls. I've always use one side with a drainage rack inside for items I prefer to wash by hand and not use the dishwasher. There is always something in it draining. It's made of stainless steel and I'd prefer a pretty porcelain but they are so heavy for a plumber to lift! Also as mentioned require special care with cleaning.

Iam64 Thu 19-Nov-15 07:57:18

I wish I'd stuck out for a belfast in our new kitchen. I was persuaded by the man who designed and built the kitchen that I wouldn't need a big sink and the small corner one would look better. It does indeed look good and doesn't spoil "the lines" as he called it. It's a bit small for my liking!

Anya Thu 19-Nov-15 08:02:35

Here are a few I photographed yesterday

The top is I think a butler sink
The middle a two equal sinks
And the bottom ... I don't know!

As I said earlier I'm going with another nice deep Belfast sink. I prefer porcelain as it cleans so well and looks better IMO.

Marmight Thu 19-Nov-15 08:36:10

I have 1.5 sinks too and have the old large sink in the utility room which is very useful for washing up big stuff like oven shelves and barbeque grills. The more the merrier in my opinion...... I considered the porcelain type sinks but am glad I stayed with stainless steel.

Greyduster Thu 19-Nov-15 08:55:49

I like the look of my daughter's split Belfast sink, but I would be very nervous about having one myself. I tend to be rather clumsy (DH is even more clumsy) and I would be afraid of chipping it. I've no doubt that there will be those who will disabuse me of that. I notice that DD uses the stainless steel sink in her utility room more than she uses the kitchen sink. It seems to have become more of a fashion statement than a practical part of her kitchen. I have never asked her, but maybe she's nervous about using it also.

Welshwife Thu 19-Nov-15 09:46:03

I have to admit that I found the half sized sink useless! I have two almost equal sized sinks which means if I do need to hand of wash plates etc I can use one for sudsy water and one for clean very hot water to rinse. It is also useful when doing any hand washing of garments. My friend has one of the double sinks with no drainer from IKEA which seems to work well - she has a sort of rack she can put over one sink if she wishes to drain things. My DiL in USA has a double sink but no drainer also - doesn't seem to find that a problem but she does put one of those thick padded things out on the worktop to drain things on. The American ones dry the things far better than the ones you get in UK although they look the same - she never has a mist left inside her glasses.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Nov-15 09:53:07

My sink is big, and deep. DH hadf to search the internet to find it. Local suppliers were useless. Don't think it's actually a Belfast as such cos it's stainless steel. I chipped the previous white one.

Can't stand a shallow sink. I think a small sink at the side would be useful tbh. But you only get those with shallow modern sinks.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Nov-15 09:54:59

DD2 has got one of those taps with her sink where it goes up a long way before it curves down IYSWIM. It splashes everywhere! Looks modern but ..... oh!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Nov-15 09:55:59

We did buy a shallower one from local suppliers before this one. I used it for two weeks before it went to the tip.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Nov-15 09:56:16

sink that is. not tap.

ninathenana Thu 19-Nov-15 11:30:27

How many of you use a washing up bowl ? We have a dishwasher but things that can't go in are washed in a bowl, not actually in the sink

Welshwife Thu 19-Nov-15 13:53:34

Could not have been a good tap Jings - I had a wonderful one which had a high bend - it was the best kitchen tap I have ever had and it was made in Birmingham - Bristows - I had a similar but far cheaper one in my utility room and that was good too - had a really deep sink in there which was great for putting buckets in to fill.

harrigran Thu 19-Nov-15 13:56:19

I have a washing up bowl because DH said I would damage the sink if we didn't protect it. What a faff, tea and coffee stains gather under the bowl, he tuts and gets the cleaning materials out. I have a single sink and it isn't big enough to clean oven shelves in.

Greyduster Thu 19-Nov-15 14:01:16

I have a washing up bowl. I didn't want one, but DH insisted it would protect the sink. We have to have a plastic thingy underneath the washing up bowl to protect the sink from the bowl (his idea again). Life is too short!