Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The first record you bought

(32 Posts)
seagazer Fri 04-Dec-15 21:41:13

Mine was in 1968, Jesamine by the Casuals. Another was Everlasting Love by Love Affair. Loved the lead singer Steve Ellis.

tinaf1 Sun 06-Dec-15 17:51:40

Take Good Care of my Baby Bobbie Vee even remember flip side Rubber Ball

Deedaa Sun 06-Dec-15 20:34:31

Thankyou feetle yes of course it was Idol on Parade tchgrin

Handynan27 Sun 06-Dec-15 20:50:01

All or Nothing by the Small Faces. First album (or LP as it was then!) was Rubber Soul - which was released 50 years ago this week. That makes me feel old! shock

seagazer Mon 07-Dec-15 00:12:38

Handynan All or Nothing was a bit before my time but I love that song. Steve Marriott was such a fantastic singer. Itchicoo Park was another favourite of mine.

GanGan1304 Sun 20-Dec-15 09:03:18

I was given 2d to go to a jumble sale with my older siblings in 1967 and proudly bought 2 45's, Roses are Red by Bobby Vinton, b side was You and I. Also Mary's Boy Child, the b side was O Mio Babbino Caro! I have Roses are Red as my ringtone ?

hummingbird Sun 20-Dec-15 10:14:53

I've posted this before, but when I was 14 my mum told me that her friend was buying a portable record player for her daughter, and what records did we think she should buy? My younger sister and I put our heads together, and came up with a list: Beatles EP with Fool on the Hill, Georgie Fame Bonnie and Clyde, something by Michael Jackson, and most importantly, The Monkees Daydream Believer. We were green with envy, but on Christmas morning, we were wakened by Davy Jones serenading us - it was our present! I still get tears in my eyes remembering our delight, and in gratitude to my lovely mum ?