Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

cleaning tables

(47 Posts)
Gill2008 Mon 07-Dec-15 14:30:44

As I am now suffering more pain in my hands I am considering not using tablecloths anymore so that I don't have to iron them.

Doe anyone know what cleaners to use on wooden tables to clean them. I don't know what restaurants use or even whether you can buy it.

Any ideas please.

J52 Tue 08-Dec-15 18:51:53

ruby try feeding it with teak oil, from DIY stores. It should make a difference over a short time to the top surface.

x

rosequartz Tue 08-Dec-15 18:53:38

If it is vintage G plan in teak, yes, it needs oiling from time to time.

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Dec-15 19:37:41

What is it with people and "Dettol wipes." We do not need Dettol wipes.a damp J cloth will do.

These things cost 3p each and we should not keep using biocides as the normal relatively harmless bugs around our houses can develop resistance.

We are facing very serious trouble with antibiotic resistance as it is.

JessM Tue 08-Dec-15 19:47:55

Filling up the country's landfill with these wipes is - well - a waste of landfill - which is in short supply. Anyone want a huge hole dug in their parish to bury all these "disposables" in?

Ana Tue 08-Dec-15 19:51:10

I burn all my used Dettol wipes.

Ana Tue 08-Dec-15 19:51:51

I expect I'll be accused of polluting the atmosphere! hmm

annodomini Tue 08-Dec-15 20:01:22

Putting wipes down the loo causes blockages as I have cause to know. I had sewage coming up on my patio because my neighbour's son and his GF had been disposing of condoms and wipes by flushing them.

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Dec-15 20:14:20

Jess Have you been peeking at my dining table where I keep my Laptop.
A pile of Christmas cards now waiting for stamps.
Two WHSmith week to view 2016calenders.
Some scrunched up reciepts.
An old AA rechargeable battery. charged status unknown.
A calculator
Table lamp
A highlighter
A freebie biro.
A black comb
A correction pen
A Christmas card list with the written ones highlighted.
Another comb.
A yellow ruler advertising Leicester University C1995
The sticky back of a parking ticket.
A coaster with a picture of the Eifel tower.
One of those clip things you use to seal vacuum storage bags.
A yellow kitchen food bag clip.
A paper clip.
Some miscellaneous C
Christmas cards too awful to send. (OHs purchase.)
My laptop.
The table is only half out.
You can probably imagine the rest of the room.

Anya Tue 08-Dec-15 20:24:20

Blimey! What are drawers for Nellie ?

Vonners Tue 08-Dec-15 21:10:43

Gill, I think maybe you should be honest with your family and explain your reasons for cutting down on ironing.

When I can see our table :-) I use table mats for plates and glasses followed by a wipe with a damp cloth.

I was told Danish oil is good for wood and although I have bought a tin I've not got round to trying it yet.

The 'oilskin' type tablecloths are great, I used one all the time for years, this thread has made me consider buying one again to brighten up the room - will have a look at market on Thursday.

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Dec-15 23:20:11

Anya They hold the rubbish not on the table. wink
To be fair I was in the middle of doing my Christmas cards and watching my cooking etc at the same time. All cards now stamped and ready to go.

janeainsworth Wed 09-Dec-15 07:03:16

According to Kirstie, tables are much cleaner up North
grin

janeainsworth Wed 09-Dec-15 07:05:55

Agree with you Nellie re the wipes.
I have an assortment of cloths for designated purposes, a la Alan Bennett's mother.

kittylester Wed 09-Dec-15 07:24:05

're 'vintage' teak tables, you can use very fine wire wool to take the very top layer of wood off before applying teak oil. And, never polish them - only oil them. Drives me mad, I'd love to polish mine!

annsixty Wed 09-Dec-15 08:20:12

I had a teak table when we had our first home but it was Mackintosh, a well known make then, when it got marked I was advised, as kitty posted to use 000 grade wire wool and then good teak oil. It should be advised to be very sparing with the oil and rub it well in and then use soft clean cloths to remove the surplus or dust and everything else will stick to it.

kittylester Wed 09-Dec-15 10:13:08

I'd forgotten all the instructions Ann, thank you! It's DH's job! We were far too with it to buy teak furniture when we got married and had Habitat white which chipped and stained really badly. We should have bought teak though as our dining room is now an homage to that period with Dyrlund table chairs and sideboard, a Danish roll top desk, G Plan nest of tables, ladderax shelving and mid century bits and bobs especially Denby plates.

rosequartz Wed 09-Dec-15 10:15:12

It's our bedroom furniture, so it has to be oiled first thing in the morning on a nice day with the windows wide open otherwise it is still smelling at night!
Hence it looks in dire need of a drink again now.

trisher Wed 09-Dec-15 10:19:13

Love John Lewis pvc fabrics. I have one that is over 20years old. Do a 'proper' tablecloth for Christmas, but the rest of the year it just gets wiped clean. Has been painted on, smeared by numerous babies and even had bits of bike put on it!

annsixty Wed 09-Dec-15 10:25:26

We bought our furniture from Hopewells kitty do you remember them?They were on Parliament street in Nottingham, a wonderful store.

TriciaF Wed 09-Dec-15 11:01:39

I have some white terylene tablecloths which I wash, folded, at 40°. The marks always come out and don't need ironing.
Some, with a sort of damask pattern, I've had more than 20 years. Other newer ones are heavier with a raised pattern and wide satin edging.
Very easy to launder, don't go yellow either.
As for wood tables, we just wipe down with a damp cloth, but have a pvc cover too.

kittylester Wed 09-Dec-15 11:11:01

We get a Christmas card from Hopewell's in Nottingham every year Ann - I love that shop!