Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My 13 yr old male cats health?

(19 Posts)
LindaN41 Sat 02-Jan-16 02:17:32

If anyone has any knowledge of cats health please help.
Chester, the love of my life has gotten very thin the past few months. He's active, eats but fussey. Looks good, coat & eyes, etc. Drinks water. 13 is not an old cat, but it seems that's when I generally lose my pets at that age.
I'm have to take him to the vet o know. But it will cost a fortune and surely don't want to hear I have to put him down. Some friends suggested thyroid, kidneys and liver. Anyone with a similar experience would appreciate you sharing. I love him and am fearful of diagnosis.
Linda & Chester

absent Sat 02-Jan-16 05:47:29

Thyroid, kidneys or liver could indeed be a problem, but not necessarily a terminal one. There are ways to keep older cats healthy and active, but it will be essential to test to see what is causing difficulties – and that costs. Once diagnosed and treated, he could last quite a few more happy and comfortable years. Looks like a sweetie! (My last remaining mog is nearly 19.)

phoenix Sat 02-Jan-16 09:52:58

You need to take him to the vet, a blood test will tell what's going on.
It does sound like a thyroid problem, but tablets can regulate it.

etheltbags1 Sat 02-Jan-16 10:43:40

My darling Lily went like that too, they did blood tests and said nothing was wrong I had to just keep an eye on her, a few weeks later she ahd to be put to sleep with kidney failure. However this may not be what is happening to your pet it may be diabetes which needs to be treated, I know this is expensive. Could you not contact the PDSA, as I did when my cat needed teeth extracted and for a small donation they will treat any pet. please do get your pet treated

annodomini Sat 02-Jan-16 11:01:47

My lovely ginger cat, Sandy, was just like that when hyperthyroidism was diagnosed. He lasted several more years until he contracted pneumonia at the age of 16. The main difficulty was getting his daily tablet into him. He could detect it in a plateful of tuna.

Charleygirl Sat 02-Jan-16 11:08:07

Chester looks delightful but you really must take him to the vet. If he appears to be drinking more water than usual that may indicate kidney problems. You can do as Ethel said, take him to the PDSA, but he must be seen.

petallus Sat 02-Jan-16 12:31:28

All of my cats suffered from liver/kidney problems at the age of 12/13 and had to be put down.

When I was unsure about one of them because he was purring and washing himself the vet said he would be feeling awful but would be 'high' on the toxins in his bloodstream.

Hopefully that is not the case with your cat LindaN41. It might be worth getting him checked. You don't have to go along with the vet's suggestions.

My cats usually went off their food. They would run eagerly to the food bowl and then not eat.

rosesarered Sat 02-Jan-16 14:02:19

Exactly as petallus has described for our last cat ( virtually a twin of your cat Linda) and in the end for all the cats we had,they run up to the food bowl, crouch over it and only have a mouthful or none at all.They drink a lot of water. It's sad, but if the quality of life goes,there isn't much to be done.
vets try and keep them going, hydrate them and advise tablets, but it's just prolonging the inevitable, in any case trying to give cats a tablet every day is beyond difficult.I would take him to the vet,find out if there is an obvious cause or injury, and take it from there.

rosesarered Sat 02-Jan-16 14:07:37

And don't worry Linda about the vet advising putting to sleep, they hardly ever say that these days, even,I feel,when they should do.

Lillie Sat 02-Jan-16 14:49:16

Most cats have a high tolerance to pain so won't necessarily appear distressed when they are ill. As a caring owner, however Linda, you probably know when something is wrong with your cat, so a trip to the vet would probably be advisable. It may only be a minor thing.

Charleygirl Sat 02-Jan-16 15:40:08

Please let us know the outcome after the trip to the vet.

seacliff Sat 02-Jan-16 15:58:52

Please take him to the vet - they may well do blood tests to diagnose. Good luck, it may be easy to treat.

It is very true that cats have a high pain tolerance, and hide their pain well. One of our older four (now all gone alas) suddenly collapsed, we thougth she'd had a stroke, but after xrays they found bone cancer in her elbow.I saw the xrays and she must have been suffering for some time - I felt terrible not to have known, poor girl.

Nana3 Sat 02-Jan-16 16:02:40

Has to be the vet Linda so sorry, best wishes.

LindaN41 Sat 02-Jan-16 20:45:40

I want to thank you all so very much for your thoughts. Sadly I agree. Fearfully, I'm taking him as soon as possible. And I will let you lovely people know his status.
Many thanks.
LindaN41 & Chester

Willow500 Sun 03-Jan-16 06:49:49

I've lost several cats to kidney failure and losing weight/drinking more is often the first sign there is a problem. But it doesn't necessarily follow. My soulmate lost a lot of weight and was diagnosed with an over active thyroid - they operated and he lived another 4 years before then developing CRF. He was 16 when he died. Ask the vet for a full blood screening to cover all possibilities - hope he's ok.

MargaretX Sun 03-Jan-16 15:41:53

It could also be diabetes - only a vet can clear it up and don't worry about being advised to have him put down. Most vets want their patients to keep on coming - and paying. There might be few years in him yet, he might have a bad tooth that puts them off eating.
My last cat died 2 years ago aged 16. Healthy up to the last 3 months but then that's life! Unfortunately you will have to take him to the vet.
Good luck!

LindaN41 Sun 03-Jan-16 16:27:44

I totally understand what you're saying. It's the holidays and vets aren't available as usual. He's not drinking anymore water than usual. If he is suffering I will do what's needed. Everyone loves him so. He has a special personality that endears all. He's diffinitly is heaven sent.?
Thanks for your advice.
Linda & Chester

Deedaa Sun 03-Jan-16 21:56:46

One of our cats has just been put to sleep at the age of 20. He had an overactive thyroid for several years but had been kept healthy on tablets until his kidneys finally packed up.

italiangirl Sun 03-Jan-16 23:42:09

My 19 year old cat died only recently kidney failure but I managed to help her with liquivite cat food she liked it and u can freeze it as well .They are very fast at delivery.And meds from the vet .