Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Adoption

(33 Posts)
Hattiehelga Sun 03-Jan-16 15:48:45

Finalisation of our daughter and son in laws' adoption of their now two year old Son happened in August after a long, long and traumatic process made more difficult than it should have been by incompetent Social Workers BUT ...that is a different story.

He is our lovely and lovable fourth grandchild, well settled, happy and confident and just a joy. My daughter tells me that they should now start talking to him about being adopted and about his birth parents. Apparently this is now the recommended way of making adopted children aware - recommended by the "authorities and experts". I am so worried that having settled and obviously feeling a proper family member, this could rock the boat at such an early stage of being with his forever family. We will never know what memories he has from his first nine months in foster care but hope they are diminishing. Surely, talking about adoption now could confuse and unsettle him. I have no experience of any of this and wonder if any Gransnetters have first hand or professional knowledge.

Luckygirl Tue 05-Jan-16 10:10:48

Making the fact of adoption an ongoing part of family life from day one is the way to go, as others have so eloquently described. The "right moment" is now, however young the child. Sitting the child down when a bit older for a great revelation is definitely not the way to go.

There ae some lovely books for little children about adoption - here is one: www.bookdepository.com/book/9781934082065?redirected=true&selectCurrency=GBP&w=AFC7AU960PJG0TA8Z3D2&gclid=CjwKEAiA8K20BRDetNv3p6DNhXwSJADSwa3tygX10jH3poJ069MRt0D48TLCl8CDPV8SiHBVtFqQFRoCABPw_wcB

Just google "picture books abut adoption" and whole rafts of them will come up.

Congratulations on your new GS.

We have adopted children in our wider family and they have been welcomed by all, and treated just the same as all the others.

DavidH22 Tue 05-Jan-16 11:18:10

The posts following my earlier one have certainly opened my eyes to knowledge that I did not have. Very many thanks to those with professional experience who have shared their valued expertise and given me an insight into the reasoning to tell the adopted child as early as possible. Why my eldest son and his wife have not gone down this route I just don't know? Words may be spoken.
Special thanks to MCEM for that wonderful story. Hope you don't mind if I suggest it. This is what makes Gransnet so valuable. Thanks to all.

Hattiehelga Tue 05-Jan-16 11:51:22

Grannyqueenie, don't apologise for a perfectly nice post. Those little ones can be my four cherished treasures.

nightowl Tue 05-Jan-16 15:16:05

David I hope those of us who posted after you didn't seem to be dismissing your (and your son and his wife's) decision. As Wendysue rightly says, the decisions about bringing up children have to be left to parents. But if this thread has helped to open up a discussion that can only be a good thing.

lulu321 Sat 23-Jan-16 11:41:25

I have 2 adopted children and we have grown up from a young age knowing. We have always told them they were special and we chose them andthey excepted it.
One of them birth mother did contact when they were older, but i will always be there mother to them

Ann4 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:28:31

I am 65 a and was adopted at a few weeks old I have always known from as long as I remember but I know I was very very young. I believe the younger the better. I have had and still have a very happy life. my Mum came from a family of 7 so as you can imagine I had lots of family around me. My husband and I have 3 grown up children who have always known about my adoption. I did find my birth mother in the eighties she had a good life but no children, I didn't really feel a bond sadly she died about a year later. Hope this helps a little.

Ann4 Sat 23-Jan-16 23:03:13

Agree I have always known I was adopted but have no memory of when I was told best way to go hope this helps.