Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Coffee Machines

(47 Posts)
GrandmaH Tue 05-Jan-16 10:17:07

Help please.
We want a new coffee machine. Got it down to probably either Krups Nespresso Citiz & Milk or De'Longhi Nespresso Latissima ( but open to suggestions) I like a good latte or cappachino made with real milk & DH likes a good big mug of strong black coffee. I don't want to have to take out a 2nd mortgage for it.
Looking at all the reviews it seems that some people say that the coffee from most of these machines comes out lukewarm ( as it did from our last machine- I had to microwave it & that alters the flavour & is a faff).
Also they only seem to produce very small cups- biggest I found was 110ml- ok you can use 2 pods & run it through twice I suppose.
Can anyone recommend a really good machine that would suit us?
I have emailed the manufacturers for more info. but no replies seem to be forthcoming & staff in shops don't have a clue.
In the meantime- back to the cafetierre.

Zoony Tue 05-Jan-16 10:28:06

There are a couple of online comparison sites to look at GrandmaH. (How does a coffee/tea/etc maker cost £9,000+ ? ) It all sounds like so much expense, fuss and bother to me...Give me my pint pot of Douwe Egberts every time.

Anya Tue 05-Jan-16 10:48:22

I've had a Tassimo and a Nescafé Dolce Gusto. The Tassimo made the better cappuccino but there's not much in it. Just made a cappuccino from the DG and it's nice and hot.

grannylyn65 Tue 05-Jan-16 10:55:15

I ? my Tassimo!!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 05-Jan-16 11:09:25

Bought DH the little magimix nespresso one which came with a separate milk frother. They do deals sometimes (John Lewis) which make it good value. He absolutely loves it and uses it every day.

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Jan-16 11:16:55

I'm with Grannylyn65 I love my Tassimo . The latte makes a full big mug and i find its hot enough . My DH drinks his black and hasn't complained ( always a good sign) .

Just as an aside though , there's a sign in my favourite coffee shop that states they serve the coffee at 60 degrees because this gives the full flavour of the bean AND keeps the natural sweetness of the milk. I have to say they make a great cup of coffee so maybe there's something in that !

grannylyn65 Tue 05-Jan-16 11:19:30

Nana, have you tried the 'cafe au lait/ cafe con leche? is my currant favourite!

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Jan-16 12:03:55

Grannylyn65 , no I don't think I have ...but i love their cadburys hot choc :-),,,,oooh i feel a coffee coming on !!

wot Tue 05-Jan-16 12:13:57

Tassimo and order coffee through Amazon. I love my machine!

grannylyn65 Tue 05-Jan-16 13:15:30

Hey wot you did it!! Congrats wink
I get mine from ebay!

GrandmaH Tue 05-Jan-16 13:56:48

My Tassimo is in the loft as it did not make lattes hot enough for me & I wasn't happy with the choice of coffees. I didn't like the taste of the milk pods either. I guess I am difficult to please.

My DH would certainly agree to that!

Back to the drawing board.

RedheadedMommy Tue 05-Jan-16 14:08:40

We have a dolce gusto. Makes lovely coffee, hot chocolate and tea! I want a tassimo for my birthday too!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 14:17:15

I would like a bean to cup machine. I might get this one

Bought son a Tassimo last Xmas and he loves it. I would hate to be tied to pods though.

TerriBull Tue 05-Jan-16 14:20:55

I also have a Dolce Gusto, love their Cortado pods. We also have a Dualit electric milk frother. Husband and I did have a BAD coffee habit and were always buying a cup whenever we were out, I now find I prefer my coffees at home far more.

Alea Tue 05-Jan-16 14:22:02

Nespresso for me every time.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 14:36:40

this sounds a good one for ground coffee good reviews too.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 14:51:34

Actually it was a Nespressoe I bought for son. Not a Tassimo. confused

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 14:52:00

without the e. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 14:53:45

Can't actually drink coffee now anyway. hmm So I'd better stop looking.

wot Tue 05-Jan-16 14:58:33

Thanks, Grannylyn! Also, I'll check out ebay for the coffee.

wot Tue 05-Jan-16 15:01:33

Cofffee makes me jittery but I love it! And I cannot abide tea, even just the smell of it. Cold fullfat milk's my favourite drink though. I'm sure you wished to know that!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 15:05:29

I have had four mugs of tea today. So far. grin Trying to work up artificial enthusiasm for taking Xmas decs down.

Can't digest coffee anymore. Sigh. sad

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 15:06:01

I like hot milk.

heavenknows Tue 05-Jan-16 15:32:41

I love coffee, but too much caffeine makes me jittery. I keep both regular and decaf (tea and coffee) on hand and trade off. Instant only, I'm afraid, although I used to have a drip coffee machine. The problem was when I made a full pot of coffee, I drank a full pot of coffee. grin Then I jittered for hours.

I can't bring myself to spend those amounts on fancy coffee makers and wouldn't want to get stuck using pods. I do like some flavoured coffees (like Beanies), but save the lattes and such for when I'm at Waitrose shopping and get a free one. It seems more like a treat then to me.

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Jan-16 15:56:09

I actually sometimes make filtered espresso with my beans of choice and just make the latte part or cappuccino part in my tassimo , then blend the two.

I spent many year in the army and at uni drinking terrible instant coffee out of paper cups , I swore with my first good job I'd be a DeLonghi and never drink instant again lol