Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Coffee Machines

(48 Posts)
GrandmaH Tue 05-Jan-16 10:17:07

Help please.
We want a new coffee machine. Got it down to probably either Krups Nespresso Citiz & Milk or De'Longhi Nespresso Latissima ( but open to suggestions) I like a good latte or cappachino made with real milk & DH likes a good big mug of strong black coffee. I don't want to have to take out a 2nd mortgage for it.
Looking at all the reviews it seems that some people say that the coffee from most of these machines comes out lukewarm ( as it did from our last machine- I had to microwave it & that alters the flavour & is a faff).
Also they only seem to produce very small cups- biggest I found was 110ml- ok you can use 2 pods & run it through twice I suppose.
Can anyone recommend a really good machine that would suit us?
I have emailed the manufacturers for more info. but no replies seem to be forthcoming & staff in shops don't have a clue.
In the meantime- back to the cafetierre.

Pippa000 Sat 05-Mar-16 05:41:43

We prefer a beans to cup machine then you can alter the strength to you own taste. Have had one for 8 years and would not be without it. The pods taste artificial to me and I hate instant coffee. Give me the real thing any day.

Johan52 Sat 05-Mar-16 02:08:28

I don't know if the Nespresso ones are the best sincerely due to the pod curse. You can stick to other DeLonghi models that will not demand so much money from you every time you have to buy a new pack of pods.

loopylou Thu 07-Jan-16 15:31:15

We had a posh coffee maker than you couldn't get replacements for so that was that ?
I'm happy with my cafetière if I fancy 'proper' coffee but I generally drink good instant coffee (I like the Percol one) with hot milk added.
I can't drink more than one 'proper' one a day or I get the jitters! ?

GrandmaH Thu 07-Jan-16 12:42:35

Nespresso will send a recycling bag free that you can put out with your normal re-cycling.
New machine (Citiz + Milk) makes really hot coffee & the hot milk is so frothy that you can eat it with a spoon- just how I like it. You can have it cold if preferred. I am delighted with this machine & it was in the sale @ £149 which is maximum I was prepared to spend. We do love our coffee! It looks good too.
I ordered the pods yesterday afternoon ( it came with some anyway) & they arrived this morning with a stylish free dispenser. Works out about 30p a mug full price but as we get £25 off first 3 orders it will be cheaper for a while.
TBH it is much nicer than Costa & Nero & I love their coffee. I'm looking forward to trying all the flavours they have sent ( I bought a taster box to start with).
I will limit myself to 2-3 mugs a day- I drink Rooibush tea or water the rest of the time so no caffeine in that! ( well & the odd G&T too of course!)

thatbags Wed 06-Jan-16 14:59:04

grin Buffs nails in snooty 'expert' way.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Jan-16 14:57:34

'Experts' say a jug is the best way to make coffee.

thatbags Wed 06-Jan-16 14:54:43

Treated myself to an on sale Le Creuset cafetière-type coffee pot this morning. Coffee machines make lovely coffee but I think they can be very wasteful (those plastic pods, etc). Besides, we had a machine once. A washer needed replacing in the milk frothing part and it simply could not be done! It wasn't getatable and there were no tools to make it getatable. So we had to ditch a whole coffee machine on account of one irreplaceable washer. Bugger coffee machines, thought I, and went back to jugs and cold milk unfrothed. I make fine coffee just how I like it.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Jan-16 14:35:46

grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Jan-16 14:34:24

Yup our frother does it all at the flick of a switch - you can have hot froth or cold froth. Shame I don't like milk really. Or coffee

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Jan-16 14:17:25

No microwave needed heavenknows. all about milk frothers here

Maranta Wed 06-Jan-16 14:09:03

The plastic used in these pods maybe recycled after use, but they have to manufactured in the first place.

I will stick to my cafetière. (Halo) wink

Auntieflo Wed 06-Jan-16 14:05:06

Some time last year, I treated myself to a Bosch Tassimo Vivy. It was on offer at £35.00, from John Lewis, but it has proved to be good, at least for me. DH does not really drink other than Kenco Colombian instant, and I have the very occasional coffee from the machine. It always comes out hot, and I sometimes add warmed milk, frothed, or cold, as the fancy takes me. Have not yet tried the Waitrose compatible pods, but will look out for them now.

heavenknows Wed 06-Jan-16 13:22:20

Just curious, but do you need a microwave for a milk frother? (milk frother virgin here, obviously grin)

And does it just do the frothy milk for lattes?

Sorry to ask the ridiculous question - my lattes come from Costa or Waitrose. I stick with tea or coffee at home, but now I'm curious.

Anya Wed 06-Jan-16 12:51:22

Our plastic is recycled by the local authority.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Jan-16 12:41:35

No! The pods would be bad.

Get one of these Makes a good straightforward cup of filter coffee. You can always use a simple milk frother, if you really have to.

aggie Wed 06-Jan-16 11:49:53

My DD3 tells me that those machines and pods are not good for the environment ? She works for the min of environment and I get told off for using wipes too sad

BabsAnn Wed 06-Jan-16 11:47:03

I like the idea of the pods ones in terms of ease but am a little concerned about the environmental impact. I've got a filter coffee machine that doesn't need any filters (misnomer that then!) which was around £50 if I remember correctly. Has a timer so you can set it to come on in the morning.
The game changer for me was getting one of those mini milk frothers - £5 off Amazon. I heat up my milk in the microwave, give it a whizz with the brother and then pour in the coffee. DIY cappuccino done (sometimes even sprinkle over some chocolate powder if I'm feeling deserving grin.)

toffeecrisp Wed 06-Jan-16 11:41:41

You can always use a stronger coffee and top up with some hot water for a bigger cup?

My experience is that good machines don't have to be the expensive ones. We were given a very posh expensive one which wasn't that good and when it died got something that also was quite costly and didn't last as long as I think it should have. We found a nespresso machine with milk frother on offer in a leading store for £99 and it's far better than the other two put together

GrandmaH Wed 06-Jan-16 11:40:21

I finally settled for a Krups machine so I'll report back if it makes good HOT coffee.

Deedaa Tue 05-Jan-16 21:46:20

The pod machines produce small cups of coffee because they are making Italian style coffee which is small. The worst thing you can do is over heat the milk because it will caramelise and change the taste of the coffee. Brown sugar shouldn't be used because it will also change the flavour. Lidl and Waitrose both sell pods that are compatible with Nespresso machines but a lot cheaper and I imagine other supermarkets must do.

Tegan Tue 05-Jan-16 16:41:44

I started to treat myself to a filter coffee once a day but, when it was the 'red moon' drank loads of the stuff to keep awake and now seem to have an aversion to it. Can still drink Kenco decaff but that's about it sad.

wot Tue 05-Jan-16 16:08:14

I dread to think what state my arteries are in, because I drink at least a pint o@ milk a day! And loads of coffee. Yes, the pods are expensive. Lidls Bellaom Colombian coffee granules are quite good and inexpensive.

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Jan-16 15:56:09

I actually sometimes make filtered espresso with my beans of choice and just make the latte part or cappuccino part in my tassimo , then blend the two.

I spent many year in the army and at uni drinking terrible instant coffee out of paper cups , I swore with my first good job I'd be a DeLonghi and never drink instant again lol

heavenknows Tue 05-Jan-16 15:32:41

I love coffee, but too much caffeine makes me jittery. I keep both regular and decaf (tea and coffee) on hand and trade off. Instant only, I'm afraid, although I used to have a drip coffee machine. The problem was when I made a full pot of coffee, I drank a full pot of coffee. grin Then I jittered for hours.

I can't bring myself to spend those amounts on fancy coffee makers and wouldn't want to get stuck using pods. I do like some flavoured coffees (like Beanies), but save the lattes and such for when I'm at Waitrose shopping and get a free one. It seems more like a treat then to me.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 15:06:01

I like hot milk.