Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dresses - where to buy?

(49 Posts)
pollyparrot Thu 28-Jan-16 10:30:52

I'm going on holiday in May and I'd like some new summer dresses. I've had a quick look online and I've found M & S dresses are just so boring. I looked at 50+ and some of the comments on the dresses suggest that the short dresses are too short.

Any ideas grans?

Alea Mon 20-Jun-16 08:25:19

Not a lot of use in the UK?

Kaylafb Mon 20-Jun-16 02:37:38

You may want to see www.dear-fashion.com/Wholesale-Summer-Dresses/
they have a lot of long summer dresses, I bought 2 dresses and I they fit perfectly. I am 4'11, about 95 pounds.

Jaxie Fri 05-Feb-16 17:35:23

The trouble with Seasalt dresses is that they are too short in the waist and too short to hide my arthritic knees. I have had a nice one from them, but I have to wear leggings underneath and worry if I look rather "common", as one sees so many bloated women wearing them.

NotTooOld Wed 03-Feb-16 18:24:28

Thank you, suzied, I'll try that link, also Jaycotts.

suzied Wed 03-Feb-16 05:16:23

NoToOld - try Sewbox for online unusual patterns and fabric
www.sewbox.co.uk
Jaycotts are good for all the regular pattern companies and they often have offers.
Plenty of bargain fabric places online. Abakhan is one.

Eloethan Tue 02-Feb-16 23:22:02

Seasalt do attractive cotton dresses suitable for hot weather and comfortable to wear.

At the pricier end, I like Whistles and Mint Velvet. At the much more reasonable end, M&Co sometimes has some nice dresses.

Patra has a range of silk, cotton and linen dresses, which look very nice although I've never bought one as they are online only.

Marmight Tue 02-Feb-16 23:14:29

I'm sitting in the sun reading this thread wearing a strappy all in one trouser jumpsuit which is cool and floppy for the climate. I got it in Asda last month for £8; I find quite a lot of suitable sun wear there and my favourite sundress is a charity shop buy (from East) for a fiver! For other stuff, I wait until I am at my destination (usually Australia) and buy locally, as suggested by G23. The material is specific for the heat and doesn't seem to be available 'back home'.

NotTooOld Tue 02-Feb-16 22:20:03

I like cotton dresses that are not too fitted in the middle and preferably have a vee neck but I can never find them so I would like to make my own this year. Does anyone know of a good website where I can browse patterns and buy fabric?

ajanela Tue 02-Feb-16 20:30:30

I live in Portugal part of the year and I like East. Go online now and look at their Sale and you will find some nice cotton dresses including long and skirts at very reasonable prices. Dresses need to be loose to keep cool.

I like to wear M & S knee length linen trousers with a light T shirt as they are cool, easy to wear and protect me from the sun.

I shall be looking at some of the suggestions from other people.

Cher53 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:36:21

Bon Marche and Matalan and Sainsburys have some super clothing that does not break the bank. Roman Originals and Klass are very good.

janeainsworth Sun 31-Jan-16 11:19:05

Jaxie the brands I like are Jigsaw, Hobbs, Toast, Whistles, East, Phase Eight, Fatface & Gap for more casual things.
They're expensive, but I hardly ever buy anything that's not reduced. There's a Gap outlet near us which has great things.
My latest bargain was a lovely tunic top from Whistles, reduced in John Lewis from £120 to £36. I wore it last night to go out in and I know I'll be wearing it for years as it's the sort of thing that can be dressed up & look quite posh, or could be worn with jeans on holiday.

pollyparrot Sun 31-Jan-16 10:48:23

I really prefer to go to the shop and try things on. I'm terrible at buying clothes online as I never get it right. Sending things back gets really tedious.

georgiejg Sun 31-Jan-16 10:43:21

have you tried Fashion World, delivered and returns collected from your door, easy and you don't get lots of emails.

www.fashionworld.co.uk/shop/dresses/womens/1/_/N-1ytvw1a/products/show.action?type=cmr&hnid=11117168&cm_sp=FW-Womens-_-ShopByCategory-_-Dresses

Jaxie Sun 31-Jan-16 10:00:56

Janeainsworth you are absolutely right about M&S: their clothes are awful - down market in design, fussy, flowery and frumpish. I am fairly tall with a small bust, and I've been seeking a summer trouser suit for decades from M&S, but their jackets seem designed for women with massive melons for breasts and jodhpur thighs. I'm a size 16, but not fat; I like designs like those Jigsaw, Cos, Me&Em, Reiss, Jaeger do, but they're so expensive. UniQlo are good, but too short and their Ines De Fressange range great but only suitable for women with waists: what's a 72-year-old would-be fashionista to do?

Jaxie Sun 31-Jan-16 09:52:13

If you can find a stockist Masai brand dresses are stylish if you avoid the maternity smock type ones which only look good on the rake thin.

Hettie Sun 31-Jan-16 09:40:08

Sahara and Masai for something a bit different.

janeainsworth Sun 31-Jan-16 09:31:03

I walked through the Newcastle M&S the other day (on my way to John Lewis) and the plethora of different 'brands' was just confusing and unappealing.
Autograph, Limited Edition, Classic, Indigo, Per Una plus a load of other stuff just apparently shoved in anywhere, and none of it made me stop and look and be tempted to buy it.
In JL, there are only a few of the concessions I look in, but I know when I do that there'll be something I like and that is my style.
Apart from rare successes like their pink winter coat a couple of years ago, I think M&S has had a problem for years with the colours being not quite right, garments being spoiled by over-embellishment, and the design just not being 'edgy' enough.

morethan2 Sun 31-Jan-16 07:17:29

I like 3/4 length sleeves. I have horrible cellulite arms. One of the reasons for falling sales may be because imo the quality of their basics (knickers, plain tops, etc, etc is shite)

Grananncan Sat 30-Jan-16 23:24:18

There was a letter in The Guardian this week suggesting one good reason for the decline in sales at M&S. Most of the ladies tops/dresses have 3/4 length sleeves and as the writer pointed out she did not have 3/4 length arms!

jack Sat 30-Jan-16 17:27:50

We used to have a second hand clothes shop near us that bought and sold good quality stuff - but they refused to take anything with an M&S Per Una label on it.

I don't know why M&S has lost its way when it comes to clothes, but it has. Such a pity.

As for for their food though, that's another story. It's nearly always fabulous. So it's odd that the store can't get its women's clothing right.

Does anyone know why?

etheltbags1 Sat 30-Jan-16 11:20:17

you cant beat Asda for summer dresses or tops and if they are too short just wear leggings or shorts underneath. Also, try Bon Marche who usually have nice dresses but sometimes they are a bit frumpy.
I go to Matalan or the local charity shops.

pollyparrot Sat 30-Jan-16 07:51:17

I used to buy nearly all my clothes from M & S. If I go in now I just can't find anything I like.

Nansypansy Sat 30-Jan-16 07:36:09

I have to stick up for M&S - particularly their Per Una range.

loopylou Sat 30-Jan-16 07:12:43

I like Denehams and especially the Maine range- i no longer even bother to look at M&S, their quality has gone downhill whilst the prices have gone up.
I also like supermarket ranges and M&Co.

Glosgran Fri 29-Jan-16 21:49:19

GrandmaH - You could set up a dedicated remote email account (e.g. gmail/hotmail/yahoo). I have set up a separate gmail account just for signing up for websites like Zulily when I don't want to be bombarded with messages into my normal inbox. I check it occasionally and clear out the inbox or unsubscribe.