Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone for cucumber sandwiches?

(94 Posts)
Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 08:20:12

hmm

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 11:42:59

I'm taking a hard line on my thread bags so please keep to the topic being discussed.

I've found that if you pull the tines of a fork down the outside/skin of a cucumber you get a pleasant frilly effect when sliced.

That of course won't help Ana's flatulience phlatulence indigestion.

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 11:45:24

Variations on a theme are acceptable JG

thatbags Fri 05-Feb-16 11:48:34

Oh, shucks! I was going to tell you about a wee video I saw the other day on how to open a tin (of salmon, for instance) without a tin opener. It's dead clever and you only need concrete.

thatbags Fri 05-Feb-16 11:48:59

But not how you think!

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 11:54:05

Oh go on then. Permission granted.

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 11:54:53

Would it worl with those b****y corned beef tins too?

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 11:55:33

I could have done with that video yesterday when trying to open a tin of tuna with a new tin opener.
Bye the bye tuna goes very well with cucumber.

thatbags Fri 05-Feb-16 11:57:10

Yes on corned beef tins, so long as you did the right end.

Well, what you do is rub the lid of the tin really hard on concrete (or rock if you're out in the wilds and about to die of starvation). This breaks the seal and then all you have to do is squeeze the tin and the lid comes off.

I'll see if I can find the video again.

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 11:59:24

That would certainly raise my street-cred with the GC when next we go camping.

Yes'm video please.

thatbags Fri 05-Feb-16 11:59:31

Tin-opening Russians.

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 12:07:33

Awesome stuff!!!

Ann60 watch and learn.

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 12:08:44

Oops, mustn't forget to say 'thank you' to Bags grin

NanaandGrampy Fri 05-Feb-16 12:09:48

Anya we do the frilly cucumber things , our grandkids call them cucumber flowers .

Annsixty if you're ever near Harrods and have too much money , try Pret a Portea at the Berkley hotel. Fashionista themes fripperies so tiny two would fit in your mouth ( obviously only for men) !! And served by little girlie is grey very expensive frocks with laser pointers to explain what's on the beautiful Paul Smith China .

Or One Aldwych do a beautiful Alice in Wonderland tea.

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 12:12:26

I did and it was so easy!!
I always knew the KGB had some redeeming features.
THAT WAS A JOKE.

thatbags Fri 05-Feb-16 12:13:51

anya, I'm really upset now because of that delay. ??
Boohoo! my poor feelings.

?????

?

thatbags Fri 05-Feb-16 12:15:08

Yes, I do know that was VERY NAUGHTY!! I'm not subtle like jings.

<buggers off to do something useful>

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 12:15:36

Bags get over it! I'm really sorry for my omission and I ask that you forgive me.

Tizliz Fri 05-Feb-16 12:18:57

Another diversion. Do you take the seeds out of tomatoes? My friend does and I think there is nothing left worth eating.

I leave the skin on my cucumber, like jinglebells cba to peel

Alima Fri 05-Feb-16 12:21:08

Oh dear, I have the wrong end of the stick again. (Either that or all these posts are tongue in cheek). There was a news item earlier this week saying that Twitter were taking the mickey out of Tesco for advertising cucumbers as "ideal for St Valentines". As to why they leave to your imagination.
Now I realise the post is about cucumber sandwiches. Lovely, crusts on or off, on its own or with cheese.

ffinnochio Fri 05-Feb-16 12:28:57

Well, that's all very well - cucumber sandwiches and Russians opening tins, but what's going to happen to Assange? ❓❓?

#ontvnowgoingonandonandon

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 12:36:45

We have been having fun though haven't we?
Not much sympathy for Assange,I have not bothered keeping up.

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 12:41:23

Alima this is a perfectly straight thread, as are most cucumbers these days under ECC regulations. No one wants a bent cucumber. Which brings me neatly to Assange.

Has anybody ever seen Richard Branson, Noel Edmunds and Julian Assange in the same photograph?

#^just asking^#

ffinnochio Fri 05-Feb-16 12:43:48

Irony is a tricky thing ...

ffinnochio Fri 05-Feb-16 12:46:51

Anya grin

Imperfect27 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:21:34

25 or so years ago I spent three years living at a residential college and we had tea served at 4 everyday of the year apart from Christmas day. There were about 70 students and spouses in residence and a huge urn came out and there were plates of home made sponge in year 1 - then the budget got cut and it changed to biscuits for years 2 and 3. It was lovely though - there was a playroom for the children next to the common room. Four o'clock tea and stickies as it was known also accounted for the 'college stone' that we all complained about gaining. It was such a nice tradition and so well timed in the day - doable after the school run and filled that tricky hour before the teatime - bedtime routine.

Since then, when timing allows, I like to have a cup of tea at 4. Cucumber sandwiches are a great addition. Crustless and tiny for me seems to make them taste better somehow!

Sorry this is rather long - I got caught reminiscing! smile