Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help .....Year old Granddaughter fights sleep!!

(36 Posts)
Nannyliz Sat 13-Feb-16 14:30:00

W look after our little granddaughter two days every other week. No matter how tired she is, will scream and scream rather than give in to much needed sleep. Even if she is falling asleep when playing with her toys on the floor and I pick her up and try and rock her to sleep she will not give in, only after she has cried herself to sleep after about five or ten minutes. She has no routine at home and her Mummy and Daddy usually walk the floor with her screaming, until she finally falls asleep in their arms. I should add that Mummy works full time and Daddy looks after her for 3 days a week.

I would so dearly love to get her into a routine of having a nap either in the morning or afternoon (or both if needed) while she is with us because I can't bear the tears. This worked with our children when they were babies. We have a travel cot here so it wouldn't be a problem. Is it possible that we could get her into a routine when she is with us despite the lack of routine at home?

At the moment we have the travel cot in our bedroom and my OH takes her up for a nap and puts her in the cot and lays on the bed until she finally give in and falls asleep and stays with her until she wakes up. He get to have a nap as well!! Any ideas?

Grannyknot Sun 14-Feb-16 10:16:09

busy that is difficult, so sorry for all of you. What about contacting a toddler sleep expert for advice? They seem to do wonders (I'm on a mum's network group and this is a common problem and resolution). Perhaps GNHQ could get one in for a webchat.

We do the "no-fuss" thing with our grandson when he comes to stay over (he is 18 months) and the folks are out. He fell asleep sitting up last time, grizzling, eventually he just sort of folded over grin, fast asleep. I left him to it and after a while he straightened his legs out and slept through.

He loves his travel cot at ours.

Indinana Sun 14-Feb-16 10:17:49

busylizzy I was so moved by your story. I really feel for your poor daughter, she must be at the end of her rope. And it's not as though you can even give her a night or two's respite by having your little GD to stay because, as you say, she won't let anyone other than her mum comfort her. I do hope, for all your sakes, that a solution can be found, or that she naturally grows out of this terrible stage soon. flowers

Judthepud2 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:27:32

I wonder if the little one is overtired! 2 of my DGCs were like this. Once they got to screaming point, they were definitely 'past their sell by date'! The trick, I found, was to get them when they developed that glazed look and settle them down then. No more stimulation, just a quiet cuddle and maybe a song.

DD1 has 2 children who just don't seem to sleep longer than an hour or 2. They both seem to have got into a pattern. Poor DD is exhausted.

I would agree that a nap as routine in the middle of the day may help not only the little one, but you and her parents, Nannyliz At a year old, a little bit of firmness won't do any harm as long as she is warm and safe.

I also used to do the walk in the buggy bit with both DCs and DGCs. It never failed. And good to get some exercise and fresh air too. Good luck!

trisher Sun 14-Feb-16 10:37:33

I'm a softy! Always cuddled and rocked to sleep when mine were small and do the same for my DGCs. About age 2 they progress to going into their bed and I pat their back, sing to them. Can't do with crying babies. I do wonder if it is something to do with how you were treated as a baby, apparently my mother used to put me in my pram and push me down to the end of the garden so she couldn't hear me crying!

nightowl Sun 14-Feb-16 10:45:11

I'm with you trisher. They need that for such a little time, and grow so fast, that I think it's worth easing them gently into a routine and holding on to the thought that it will pass.

I remember how tiring it was as a mum of babies but what I wouldn't give for a day with my babies again. So now I'm reliving it just a little with my grandchildren, but of course I go by parents' rules now smile

MammaN Sun 14-Feb-16 10:45:43

First child was a nightmare. She only slept 3-4 hours (sometimes at night). I tried letting her cry but by 4.30 am I'd had enough listening to her screaming. Once she stayed awake for 72 hours with just a few 15 min naps - aged 6 months (I can even tell you the date!) - and learnt to stand and walk about holding onto furniture. Everyone thought she was so 'advanced' - she should have been, she had more time to learn stuff than the other babies who were sensibly sleeping. She eventually learnt to sleep when she was 3.

PS. She's 40 this year and lovely.

MammaN Sun 14-Feb-16 10:48:39

Just to add that I had 2 more children and they were both fine.

Rhonab Sun 14-Feb-16 12:08:09

We had torrid times trying to get DGD off to sleep too. For the daytime nap I would take her into our bedroom and rock/sing her to sleep and then lie on the bed with her in my arms. Same thing at bedtime, sat for ages in the chair beside her travel cot and everytime I tried to put her in the cot she would wake up and cry. DH and I would each spend at least an hour before she would settle.
At home they would leave her to cry even to the point where she ended up being sick!
Then suddenly all changed around 18-20 months ... now she goes into her cot quite happily for a daytime nap and also at night. We say goodnight to all the animals on her walls and then she's in the cot waving us out the room!!! ?
I do miss the wee cuddle and singing session, but what a change! Might be something to do with her beloved dummies being in her cot and apart from when she's in the car it's the only time she's allowed one. ?

kazzer Sun 14-Feb-16 12:59:59

There is a book by a Scandinavian phsycologist a story that guarantees sleep, forgotten name but trust me it works.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 14-Feb-16 13:18:50

Might be this book

The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep: A New Way Of Getting Children To Sleep