Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Eating raw pasta shapes

(59 Posts)
amberdogxK9 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:44:11

Has anyone out there ever allowed their child or GC to eat raw pasta shapes straight out of the bag like crisps ?
Given the fact they swell in the stomach I remonstrated with someone once about this as potentially harmful and was howled down as the little darlings "liked them".

amberdogxK9 Fri 19-Feb-16 14:39:42

Hilarious posts !

Yes , opened up a real can of worms, it appears ?

Anyone willing to own up to that one ? I used to love "The Worm Song"

"Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm going down the garden to eat worms "

Anyone else remember that one ?

BBbevan Fri 19-Feb-16 15:07:51

I think the third line was
I'm going down the garden to pick up worms.
Long thin slimy ones, big fat juicy ones
I' m going down the garden to eat some worms

Anyway we don' t often eat tinned produce.

Greymary Fri 19-Feb-16 15:21:06

AmberdogxK9 - fascinating what we have managed to eat in our time isn't it grin.
The cattle feed, goat feed and caterpillars are hilarious.

grannyactivist Fri 19-Feb-16 16:06:29

I ate raw sausages too and my sister used to eat raw potatoes. [yuck!] [yuck!] What was my mother thinking of?

NonnaW Fri 19-Feb-16 16:08:39

DH tells me he used to sit on the kitchen table and eat lumps of raw suet when his mum made suet puddings. Sounds revolting to me but he loved it

auntbett Fri 19-Feb-16 16:10:48

Hello dog biscuit lovers everywhere! I used to share dog biscuits straight out of the bowl with our old Peggy dog. Weirdly, she seemed to sense that I liked the black ones and just left them or maybe she just hated those! I still love the smell of dog biscuits in the pet shop....

hulahoop Fri 19-Feb-16 16:33:28

I us d to eat soap my sister used to eat worms thinks ng they were strips of liquorice. My hubby liked dry porridge oats with sugar on .

jacq10 Fri 19-Feb-16 16:47:40

My son always ate raw sausage/sausagemeat when given the chance. His favourite thing was when I was making stuffing and adding apricots, breadcrumbs, egg, etc. He always helped to clean the bowl! Ironically, he has been vegetarian for over 20 years!!

Greymary Fri 19-Feb-16 16:51:09

Auntbett my dad worked for Winalot in the late 1920's/30's. His trade was "Biscuit Maker".
I can remember him saying that it was fine to eat dog biscuits, they did it all the time in the factory.
Re: the raw potatoes I loved them, grew up on them. Shared a bedroom with my older sister and she would complain about my 'crunching' in bed.

Indinana Fri 19-Feb-16 18:37:15

Oh yes, raw sausage meat! Used to love it grin. And, of course, raw cake mixture. I always loved the look of the dog biscuits in the bowl in my grandmother's kitchen, and was thrilled once when left alone there so I could eat some..... but I was so disappointed sad. Never did that again!

Willow500 Fri 19-Feb-16 19:36:08

I can't think of anything worse than eating raw sausagemeat - isn't it full of germs?!! shock My friend used to eat dog biscuits and her brother would eat rice pudding with tomato sauce in it. The worst I did was to eat drinking chocolate with sugar in it and later mixing different food flavours into porridge!

annifrance Fri 19-Feb-16 23:00:22

raw cake mix. still love it. and cheese rind

Maggieanne Fri 19-Feb-16 23:01:42

Raw sausage, well yes, but I suffered from it! Worms!! Apparently, in the past it was quite common for pigs to suffer from them and if the meat wasn't cooked, it was passed on. Never ate it again, I think my mum was told off by the nurse at the clinic.. My brother told me it was ok to eat dog biscuits, rotter!! Mind you, they tasted fine.

pinkwallpaper Sat 20-Feb-16 19:09:09

I used to eat scoops of dried baby formula. In a ton with white and blue writing, called national formula or some such thing.

tiredoldwoman Sat 20-Feb-16 19:52:46

I used to pick bubble gum off the road and eat it with glee ! ABC gum- Already Been Chewed !

bikergran Sat 20-Feb-16 20:27:06

my cousins would eat Lettuce butties with sugar on confused

and my late dh dripping butties!!

jaspersgran Sun 21-Feb-16 11:34:32

Our golden retriever just loved raw pasta. If he heard the rustle of the pasta bag, he would appear from nowhere waiting for his fix ??

TriciaF Sun 21-Feb-16 13:53:34

Our hens love pasta, but cooked - they seem to think it's worms.
My weakness was fresh yeast, mixed with a little sugar.

Judthepud2 Sun 21-Feb-16 20:08:50

pinkwallpaper I remember those tins of National Dried Milk for babies. Weren't they issued free to mums in the fifties? DB (and probably me ) was reared on it. You mixed it with sugar shock Hardly surprising we have terrible teeth.

My DB loved eating the skin off custard. He would do it in front of me to tease as the sight of it made me gag. Apparently, he still likes it ?

Judthepud2 Sun 21-Feb-16 20:15:40

Re: the Worm Song, I sing this to my DGCs when they are grumpy. My version is

'Nobody likes me
Everybody hates me
I'm going down the garden to eat worms yum yum
Big fat juicy ones
Long slim slimy ones
And itsy bitsy teeny weeny worms yum yum

Down goes the first one
Down goes the second one
The third one gets stuck in my throat ahem
Big fat juicy ones etc

Up comes the first one
Up comes the second one
The third one gets stuck in my throat (vomiting noises)
Big fat juicy ones etc'

Always raises a smile.

FarNorth Sun 21-Feb-16 21:02:26

Tried dog biscuits, didn't like them. I did like nibbling Oxo cubes and I still love skin on custard (or any pudding).

maninonline Thu 19-Sep-19 13:14:10

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

callgirl1 Thu 19-Sep-19 17:19:13

My youngest daughter used to raid the dog`s bowl when she was crawling, she loved Lassie meaty chunks. And the dog, a mighty German Shepherd, sat and watched her eat his dinner! She says now that that`s why she has nice shiny hair!

M0nica Thu 19-Sep-19 17:35:51

Now uncooked cake - it is amazing any cake mix I make even makes it into the oven!

BlueBelle Fri 20-Sep-19 07:06:41

bikergran I ve always put sugar on lettuce and tomatoes, still do
When I used to eat meat I loved raw bacon and I do like raw cauliflower stalk dipped in a bit of salt