Eating raw pasta shapes

amberdogxK9 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:44:11

Has anyone out there ever allowed their child or GC to eat raw pasta shapes straight out of the bag like crisps ?
Given the fact they swell in the stomach I remonstrated with someone once about this as potentially harmful and was howled down as the little darlings "liked them".

BBbevan Thu 18-Feb-16 16:50:37

My daughter, now 50, has always eaten raw pasta. Her favourites when little were my sister's dogs Bonio biscuits. She always had to hide them when we visited.

amberdogxK9 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:56:03

Thanks Bbevan
I am reassured your daughter obviously came to no harm.

These children regularly share a huge bag while watching television.

I will suggest Bonio as a more wholesome alternative !

merlotgran Thu 18-Feb-16 16:56:43

I used to eat raw spaghetti when I was a child. I absolutely loved it.

I'm still here grin

Alima Thu 18-Feb-16 16:58:55

Don't some people eat some strange things. I have no idea if eating raw pasta is harmful just that it sounds revolting.
BBbevan, we once had neighbours whose daughter ate dog biscuits when she got the chance and toilet paper which could have been very dangerous.

grannylyn65 Thu 18-Feb-16 17:23:14

I used to love dog biscuits ( as a child! ) until I was told they were made with dead flies!!!

Iam64 Thu 18-Feb-16 18:30:08

How interesting to find I'm not alone in having eaten dog biscuits as a child. I only did this at my grandparents house, where a bowl of dog biscuits for their resident dog was always on the kitchen floor. I loved the dog and we'd sit together whilst I nibbled on one of his biscuits.
This could never happen at my house now I'm a grannie. My resident dogs wolf down anything that's put on the floor, whether its intended for them or not.
I've never eaten raw pasta and neither have my children/grandchildren but I can't imagine it'd do any harm - they surely couldn't manage to get huge quantities down.

grannylyn65 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:07:56

grin?

POGS Thu 18-Feb-16 19:44:59

I use to love eating cattle feed, ' cow cake pellets ' when I was a kid. confused

Deedaa Thu 18-Feb-16 21:26:18

I was a raw spaghetti eater as a child and GS2 is just the same. It isn't revolting, it's nice and crunchy. When we had a dog I used to eat the occasional dog biscuit as well.

When DD and DS were small we used to keep goats. The local goat club had a party every year when there would be an eating race for the children. They were given a plate of biscuits and crisps and peanuts for them selves and a plate of goat food for the goat. The first one to finish won the prize. Naturally the goats would go straight for the childrens' plates and the children would be left trying to shovel down dry, dusty goat food.

RustyBear Fri 19-Feb-16 09:23:48

DD used to like her pasta raw, but preferred it with a bit of hot water and Marmite poured over it, just enough to flavour it but not make it too soft.

justrolljanet Fri 19-Feb-16 09:35:48

As a child I was partial to the odd burned match head, seed that the budgie had thrown out of his cage and the occasional yellow and black striped caterpillar, I blame my extra weight now on those 3 things...............

chloe1984 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:02:05

When we were children we used to enjoy eating raw sausages and bacon never found anyone else who did this as a child.

diddy Fri 19-Feb-16 10:04:58

I can't understand how anyone would want to but I don't think it would harm them !

moira13 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:30:18

I was another raw sausage and bacon eater.

Juggernaut Fri 19-Feb-16 10:42:24

I was also a raw sausage and bacon eater!
The thought of it turns my stomach now, but as a child, I loved it!
Mum disapproved, but dad and I used to sneak raw food whenever we got the chance, and neither of us were ever ill!

inishowen Fri 19-Feb-16 11:07:14

Hubby will chew a few bits of raw pasta when he gets the chance. Daughter likes raw mushrooms. I can't see how it can be harmful. As a child I used to fill a mug with cornflakes and eat them while watching tv.

rosesarered Fri 19-Feb-16 11:09:14

Whoa! It's all coming out now, these raw eating confessions! grin
Some pretty unusual ones too.
All I can confess to is liking peas straight from the pod.

Daddima Fri 19-Feb-16 11:49:50

I've seen baked spaghetti used as a garnish. It's crunchy and tasty, not revolting at all.

Shrimp Fri 19-Feb-16 12:00:13

All I can say is I must have led a very sheltered childhood....

suelowe Fri 19-Feb-16 12:54:51

Raw sausage delicious , plus licking out the cake mixing bowl .... Never fancied raw bacon : it's too delicious cooked and crispy !!
Surprised anyone thinks raw veg inc mushrooms odd (?) . My dad loved the middle cut out of a cauliflower stalk , and used to drink the water after cooking cabbage ( it tasted okay too ).

Greymary Fri 19-Feb-16 13:11:37

Another one here - I used to eat raw sausage as a child !

My sister used to crunch on the coal, but my absolute favourite snack was sticks of blackboard chalk.

AudreyL Fri 19-Feb-16 13:17:31

I love raw potatoes, never had any problems in doing so

jusnoneed Fri 19-Feb-16 13:32:26

I used to raid my Nans cupboard for dry spaghetti (Mum never had pasta at home) and my Gramph was a keen gardener so there were plenty of fruit and veg to pick at. Raw rhubarb with sugar to dip it in, makes my eyes water to think of it now lol.

Nannyru Fri 19-Feb-16 14:16:31

POGS, so did I. Good memory?