Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

dresses

(69 Posts)
Catlover123 Sat 05-Mar-16 14:52:13

I would like to buy a dress but find so many too far above the knees and as I have rather 'chubby' knees I feel self-conscious. Does anyone know of dresses that come to the knee or just above that might be more flattering?

cangran Sun 06-Mar-16 11:01:13

I like some of the dresses on www.adinionline.co.uk - a bit trial & error ordering online I know (some independent shops stock some Adini but not the full range); I've got to know which styles are most likely to suit me now.

Anniebach Sun 06-Mar-16 11:12:21

I cannot find long day dresses which are not sleeveless , long skirts all seem to be tiered , I mean dresses and skirts to the ankle and cannot afford £79

Linollie21 Sun 06-Mar-16 11:13:06

I've discovered White Stuff and absolutely love their dresses! They are mostly knee length on me and I'm 5ft 6ins. Take a look online, free delivery over £30 and free returns so I usually order a couple of styles and sizes so I have a choice, although I often end up keeping more than one. Register with them for frequent discount codes.

Bez1989 Sun 06-Mar-16 11:17:25

Thank you girls for all of your suggestions. Some new names to me there that Ill have a look at. Plus a personal.shopper would be a good idea too.
Happy Mothering Sunday to the Moms on here in UK xx

952poppy Sun 06-Mar-16 11:45:37

This is my first proper look at Gransnet. Loved two online dresses sites. I need dresses with highish neck and I am only 5 ft so need to be careful with lengths. Shortening is not a problem. Will definitely check in oftener. Thanks to everyone ?????

Teacher11 Sun 06-Mar-16 12:27:27

Hobbs. They are expensive but worth saving for. The cut is sculpted and the materials top quality and I never saw anyone look bad in one.

oldgaijin Sun 06-Mar-16 12:40:46

Try Studio Eight and Maine New England at Debenhams if you are on the larger.

Cerasus Sun 06-Mar-16 12:51:35

Fabric shopping online is a pleasure and a pain. You really need to get samples as the size of prints and colours can be deceptive seen on a monitor. Also the feel! But I love the range of choices. So far Stone fabrics, Dragonfly fabrics, the Fabric Godmother, Sewhot, the village haberdashery have been great and many others. Are you on Pinterest? If you put in sewing dresses women and older (on any other search terms you like!) you will find loads of ideas. Good luck! I'm thinking this idea needs its own thread.....

Catlover123 Sun 06-Mar-16 13:09:58

thanks for all your suggestions, will be looking at some of them. Loved the wiggle dress but unfortunately not only have chubby knees, tummy but also upper arms!! I have recently bought a sewing machine so perhaps that is the answer. I have several nice tunics which come a few inches above the knee from Seasalt and White Company, but tend to wear a long cardie over them with leggings, but would like a nice dress which covers the 'iffy' bits!

Babyboomer Sun 06-Mar-16 13:14:52

Thank you, Cerasus, I will certainlyl try the firms you mention. I'm not on Pinterest, but my daughter is, so I'll ask her to help me with this.

winifred01 Sun 06-Mar-16 13:53:20

Flattering dresses is title of this thread, then picture of dress, no sleeves and stripes going round!! How many grans could get away with that- not me!

MaryXYX Sun 06-Mar-16 14:23:02

Hi Tizliz - I wear a size 10 skirt and I would so wear a red one! Any more details?

morethan2 Sun 06-Mar-16 14:29:30

Nor me winifred nor me ....unfortunately. There were some lovely dresses. I miss just being able to throw somthing on and looking good. Now no matter what I wear it never looks right. I'm just about to get dressed to go to Mother's Day tea with my daughter in law and her very very glamorous mum. I've learnt not to try to compete, just to be me. It helps that I like them both. But I wish I looked a bit better.

Funnygran Sun 06-Mar-16 14:56:53

I'm relieved to read other people have problems finding dresses having spent a fruitless afternoon yesterday trying to find a dress for an evening reception after a wedding. M&S had nothing that appealed, either too young, too old, too short or the dreaded sleeveless. John Lewis weren't much better so about to go on line and look at some of the GN suggestions.

suzied Sun 06-Mar-16 15:38:40

I'm another seamstress here, I've been going to a couture dressmaking class for 4 years now and I love it! I can now make patterns and alter commercial ones to fit. Fabric Godmother., Sewbox, Abakhan and many other online fabric stores are good for dress fabrics or maybe you've got a local market.

sallyswin Sun 06-Mar-16 15:52:47

If I stuck to my diet I would have a wide choice of dresses currently residing in a large bag labelled 'too small'. It really is silly - but I say this every summer. One or two I really miss not being able to wear. However, Doctor has called time, so you never know, this may be the year of the dress!

townie Sun 06-Mar-16 16:14:59

Hobbs, L K Bennett, Boden.

4i43 Sun 06-Mar-16 16:23:38

I love Lagenlook tunics & dresses with or without leggings. They are not frumpy & are comfortable.

hapgran Sun 06-Mar-16 17:12:23

MeggyMay - I had to google 'bombshell dresses' as I didn't know either! They seem to be 40's style dresses, and they look good!

ctussaud Sun 06-Mar-16 17:15:39

Love the Bombshell ones and will look out for more of them. I bought a Damsel in a Dress Diora dress last year and love it. They're in the sale at the moment at £74; I paid just over £100 when their list price was I think £147.
www.damselinadress.co.uk/search.aspx?q=DIORA+DRESS+NAVY

Treecycler Sun 06-Mar-16 17:32:04

Hi Babyboomer. I've been buying my patterns from Sewdirect during the sales. They often have reviews. Good reviews of all sorts of patterns can be found on Sewing Pattern Review. If you google it it'll show up. Fabric I often buy from Minerva Crafts also online with only .99p postage. They do patterns and fabric. Sewdirect has a sale on half price patterns at the moment. I'd recommend the Tilton sisters patterns by Vogue and Butterick if you like an unusual look. Burda patterns are fashionable and often a bit dressier. Their sizing is pretty accurate. New Look does cheaper patterns which are just as good as the main Butterick /McCalls ones. Their are also lots of new younger designers doing Indy patterns. Happy Sewing!

grannybuy Sun 06-Mar-16 18:32:48

Phase Eight fit me well. Straight styles are more flattering as we get older. I think they always make one look slimmer, as long as we take the right size, not one that looks tight.

grannybuy Sun 06-Mar-16 18:33:38

Bez - East sometimes do longer, floater skirts.

Maccyt1955 Sun 06-Mar-16 18:56:31

boden for three different lengths and Pepperberry for larger bust sizes.

phizz Sun 06-Mar-16 21:19:03

I loved the Patra dresses.
Haven't worn a dress in ages but have sent for their catalogue and may well buy one very soon.
I am SICK SICK SICK of wearing pants.