Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

dresses

(68 Posts)
Catlover123 Sat 05-Mar-16 14:52:13

I would like to buy a dress but find so many too far above the knees and as I have rather 'chubby' knees I feel self-conscious. Does anyone know of dresses that come to the knee or just above that might be more flattering?

Elrel Sat 05-Mar-16 15:19:33

I've had some I like from Debenhams 'Precis' I think. Sure you'll get lots of advice on here!

amberdogxK9 Sat 05-Mar-16 15:22:30

I would suggest that you visit a Department store that offers a free personal shopper service and try as many as possible on.

It has taken me years to find the right style of dress for me - I went first to a department store and now I tend to have fitted A line dresses, shifts in cotton, or wraparound jersey styles which are flattering to my shape. like you I am not keen on above the knee styles, but thick tights can disguise any "chubbiness" in winter. I am saving up for a "bombshell" dress at the moment. But by the time I have managed it I will most likely look more like an air raid !

Iam64 Sat 05-Mar-16 18:23:33

Dresses are longer currently, thankfully! Even M&S have below the knee length and some decent styles as well. I've struggled to buy a skirt though - they're either ankle length or way above the knee - I accept I'm 5' 8" but even so. I don't want full-length or just below my knickers thank you very much.

janeainsworth Sat 05-Mar-16 18:32:19

Amberdog I got a 'Bombshell' dress a couple of years ago in the sale and it is just the most flattering dress I've ever owned. Go for it!

Alea Sat 05-Mar-16 18:48:57

Have a look on eBay, there are some (new with tags ) Bombshell dresses for around £50-70 in a variety of sizes and colours!!

Thebeeb Sat 05-Mar-16 22:23:22

Phase Eight for me when they have 20 per cent off.

Galen Sat 05-Mar-16 23:06:36

And me! And also EAST

TriciaF Sun 06-Mar-16 08:56:02

Get your sewing machines out and make this one:
www.blogforbettersewing.com/2012/05/pink-floral-wiggle-dress.html
I've got the book somewhere, with the pattern. It would create quite a stir if I wore something like this around here.

inishowen Sun 06-Mar-16 09:21:20

Bon Marche seem to cater for the mature woman without being frumpy. They are also cheap and cheerful.

Treecycler Sun 06-Mar-16 09:24:32

I've given up looking, and last year started to sew my own, after years away from the sewing machine. What a revelation! The patterns are fun, the fabrics lovely and available through many stores on the Internet. Best of all, they fit! Because I can tailor them to my lumps and bumps. Check out some of the many blogs. Sewdirect has half priced patterns today as well, all Vogue, Mccalls, Butterick and Kwik Sew.

DotMH1901 Sun 06-Mar-16 09:26:00

I rarely buy a dress, not because I don't like them but because I can seldom get one that fits me! I need a 20/22 for my bust but a 14/16 for my waist and hips. Usually buy separates because of this. Most dresses that fit my bust are horribly designed, there is yards of material under the bust - wish designers would realise that not everyone is the same size all over!

westieyaya Sun 06-Mar-16 09:36:14

I'm 5'11", plus have chubby legs. I love the dresses at Box2, and always wait for their sale. Also I'm just experimenting with a layered look I saw a Swedish friend wearing. Might be a bit Boho but maybe I'll try a longish tunic dress and leggings, look at Lagenlook, they seem pretty cheap. May be cheap and tatty, I'll wait and see.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Mar-16 09:37:56

I quite like them but I wonder how many garden plants I could buy for £250.

luzcasal Sun 06-Mar-16 09:40:35

www.lindybop.co.uk/
This website has lots of 'wiggle' dressses. The styles tend to be below the knee too. Prices are good, especially in the sale. Watch out if you're tall though- I'm 5' 9" and the dress I ordered was a bit too 'high-waisted' (just below my chest) but then I'm sort of long-body/short-legs.

Teetime Sun 06-Mar-16 09:42:20

Boden sells all its dresses in three lengths - I like them below my chubby knees and so I buy their Jersey wrap dresses in longer length.

Bez1989 Sun 06-Mar-16 09:57:44

Im thinkng of buying a full length skirt
either plain black or navy. Im going to a
friends wedding and am sick of wearing trousers even though Ill be in my fold up wheelchair. I have a pretty paterned silk type blouse and a short boxy type purple leather jacket to go over it. I prefere online shopping. Any suggestions where I might find a suitable swingy look long skirt ?

vickya Sun 06-Mar-16 10:06:01

Monsoon has dresses that are longer and I like their skirts and dresses. Also M&S Per Una or Autograph lines have longer skirts you can team with a top.

juani56 Sun 06-Mar-16 10:10:11

M&Co do nice shaped dresses and mainly just below the knee. On the other hand, just show your knees! Live dangerously.

Tizliz Sun 06-Mar-16 10:11:48

I have a red velvet M&S skirt, size 10 unworn - any takers? Can't remember when I last wore a skirt. Can't even remember why I bought it.

Snowdrop Sun 06-Mar-16 10:25:29

I discovered John Lewis Personal Style Adviser online. You put in all the relevant data (height, weight, age etc) plus all the things you want to avoid - tops of arms in my case! I bought a dress for work by Damsel in a Dress, a label I would never have tried before, and it's just perfect. I can recommend the adviser, or alternatively (as already suggested) use a department store personal shopper. Good luck, and enjoy the experience!

MeggyMay Sun 06-Mar-16 10:25:30

What's a Bombshell dress? Sounds v intriguing..

Mrsdof Sun 06-Mar-16 10:37:28

The Pretty Dress Company has some nice dresses for the younger mature woman wink. www.theprettydresscompany.com/fashion/View-All-Dresses. I had one of their dresses for my son's wedding a couple of years ago and had a lot of compliments and only cost me £79. Bargain. Definitely worth a look. Good luck

EmilyHarburn Sun 06-Mar-16 10:49:53

I have dresses by Patra a silk clothing catalogue and from Laura Ashley in a sale as well as from 40 years ago.

Babyboomer Sun 06-Mar-16 10:55:46

Treecycler, thank you for your post about making your own dresses. I've been considering digging out the old sewing machine again myself, and this is encouraging. Which internet stores have you found helpful for fabrics, please?