Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

dresses

(69 Posts)
Catlover123 Sat 05-Mar-16 14:52:13

I would like to buy a dress but find so many too far above the knees and as I have rather 'chubby' knees I feel self-conscious. Does anyone know of dresses that come to the knee or just above that might be more flattering?

Ana Sun 06-Mar-16 21:22:40

Well, you could always go commando phizz...

rosesarered Sun 06-Mar-16 21:28:05

shock

rosesarered Sun 06-Mar-16 21:28:39

Don't frighten the horses.grin

Ana Sun 06-Mar-16 21:33:00

I doubt whether horses would be bothered whethr humans wore pants or not...

Ana Sun 06-Mar-16 21:34:20

After all, they don't! grin

Babyboomer Sun 06-Mar-16 22:55:34

Thanks Treecycler for your advice. It's good to know where I can get a choice of materials. Many years ago, when I used to make my own clothes, every high street had a shop where you could get dress fabrics, but very few do now. Knitting has made a comeback, so perhaps dressmaking will too.

patd Mon 07-Mar-16 15:14:48

whenever i see a dress/dresses i like they are either practically floor length (im only 5ft) or they are ridiculously short (not good at my age with my figure) lol

PenJK50 Mon 07-Mar-16 19:12:47

I rely on Phase 8 but when I wanted to push the boat out I bought one in Sahara - they have an online business too. Expensive but will not date.

bookdreamer Mon 07-Mar-16 19:17:30

Phase 8 is pushing the boat out for me!

LuckyFour Mon 07-Mar-16 19:31:09

I went into White Stuff and tried on 7 dresses in size 14. All of them fitted me and all looked good. I had a job to choose but am very happy with the choice. It is knee length, not too clingy, modern looking with a v neck which is quite flattering. I told the (very helpful) assistant that I had never in my life tried seven dresses on, in one shop, all of which fitted me and looked good. A first!

etheltbags1 Mon 07-Mar-16 22:18:39

I too don't know what a bombshell dress is?.

I just wear leggings over a top or dress and my legs are covered and warm, I wear ballet pumps with this and that's all I wear winter and summer, adding a cardi or jumper as necessary and boots instead of shoes.
I don't have the self confidence to wear proper dresses.

Jalima Mon 07-Mar-16 23:17:50

Clingy and revealing I think etheltbags, the type that Nigella wears. I suppose like the old-fashioned 'blonde bombshell' style of dress.
(Not like that coverall she wore on Bondi beach grin)

Not my style at all, not that I like wearing dresses anyway

Jalima Mon 07-Mar-16 23:24:13

I just looked at White Stuff but they are all so short, otherwise I like them!
I wore them that length 50 years ago.

mumof2boys Tue 08-Mar-16 12:22:35

can you link to the john Lewis personal syle advisor.. I can't find it on line

BarbaraAbbs Wed 09-Mar-16 11:15:43

Thank you everyone for this thread. Many really useful links and suggestions. I am nearly 6 ft and always try M & S and Long Tall Sally first but both so frequently disappointing. Long Tall Sally fabrics are not good. Will try the sewing machine route I think.

annifrance Wed 09-Mar-16 18:20:11

I make nearly everything, but then I am a trained couturiere. I teach sewing and always recommend Vogue patterns. they may be a bit expensive but they are worth it. Follow the instructions to the letter and you won't go wrong. Watch out on Jaycotts site for sales of patterns which they often have.

I also like Butterick, McCalls and Simplicity. All the rest I don't rate and whenever any of my students get any of the other makes the garment is never as successful as the above. Especially Vogue.

Croft Mill is also good for fabrics - especially some really cheap stuff if you want to try it out in a toile (practice run).

Treecycler Sat 12-Mar-16 09:31:56

Hi Babyboomer, sewing has already made a comeback! You should google 'sewing blogs', and there are many sewing groups on Facebook. I belong to one called Make a Garment a Month. I must say that going back to sewing for myself has really cheered me up. And things fit now! Also I find I can do things that when I first started sewing would have confused me terribly. It must have been all the years of mending children's clothes etc. I really hope you try it out. It's a revelation. Knit fabrics are terrific too, and easier than you would think. ?

KatyK Sat 12-Mar-16 11:10:07

luzcasal I had never heard of Lindybop but took a look after your post. I ordered a pretty summer dress and it arrived yesterday. It's really lovely and the quality is superb. Only £30 plus £3 p&p. Thank you smile