Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mascara

(74 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Wed 09-Mar-16 18:21:35

I don't wear a lot of make up now I've retired but went to put 'my face' on the other day only to find my mascara was totally dried up .

( it had obviously been longer than I thought! )

My eyelashes are quite pale now and definitely thinning.

Anyone use a suitable mascara that they love?

I hate buying them because it's impossible to test , so any advice welcome.

harrysgran Thu 10-Mar-16 19:40:07

I have very short sparse eyelashes and the best I've tried is too faced better than sex ,that's what they call it not my opinionsmile

Jalima Thu 10-Mar-16 19:49:59

So confused now!!!

I need mascara for sensitive eyes that is also waterproof just in case my eyes run. As posted above, I use Clinique, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all for my sparse lashes. After I've used it, my lashes probably look as others do before they start using any hmm

DD dyed my eyebrows last year, very successful, but I wouldn't let anyone near my eyelashes with dye!

fjw2009 Thu 10-Mar-16 20:19:56

i use Lancome's hypnose and find that very good for volume. i also wear contact lenses so have to be careful that I don't use an oily eye makeup remover but hypnose seems to come off OK ,( at the end of the day obviously !), without too much trouble.

shirleyhick Thu 10-Mar-16 21:20:16

Clarins or Avon I find are the best.

anne53 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:01:23

Know the feeling annodomini. I can't see to put mascara on and a magnifying mirror doesn't help. My arms just need to be twice as long!! M&S mascara corrector is my lifesaver. Can take all the blobs off when I put my glasses back on.

TrishTopcat Thu 10-Mar-16 22:42:55

YSL in plum. It makes my lashes look thicker (they have always been long but are thinning now) And the colour is lovely and makes a bit of a change

phizz Thu 10-Mar-16 23:15:47

After chemo my lashes were sparse and thin. I've been using Boots 'Fanomenal Lash serum'. A bit dear at £17 but it really does seem to work, so worth every penny.
I use navy mascara, which looks more natural on my blue eyes than either black or brown now that I've let my hair go white.

Mrsdof Fri 11-Mar-16 11:51:15

I checked out the DHC mascara as mentioned by janeainsworth yesterday, was impressed with the reviews, decided to order it and it arrived this morning!!!! Haven't actually tried it yet, but certainly can't fault their customer service, just hope the mascara lives up to expectations. Quite like the look of some of their other stuff as well.

janeainsworth Fri 11-Mar-16 14:09:03

Their other stuff that I've tried is good mrsdof. I like the olive oil cleanser and the velvet skin coat. It sort of magically smoothes out the surface of your skin & makes a difference whether or not you put any foundation on smile

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 12-Mar-16 00:10:38

janea I love the velvet skin coat too because it makes a big difference to the appearance of my pores. I didn't know that DHC had a UK website now though. I've used Amazon or sites like sasa.com. The UK prices look good and there's a couple of things I would like to try, so I will have a look over the weekend. Can I ask you how long the olive oil lasts you?

janeainsworth Sat 12-Mar-16 08:16:50

Ages Wilma! I usually buy the biggest size & I suppose it lasts 4or 5 months, but they also do small ones that are good for travelling.

Also if you buy from their site, you can choose four free samples with every order. smile

Nana3 Sat 12-Mar-16 08:39:24

What did you buy NanaandGrampy ?

shysal Sat 12-Mar-16 16:18:53

My tubing mascaras have arrived. I tried the Blinc (£19.50) on one eye and the L'Oreal (£7.00) on the other. I am very pleased with the results, which are exactly the same. The L'Oreal includes a primer which I used for both. My lashes look longer and are not clumped, so ideal for me!
It seems my search is over, as long as it stays on and cleans off as easily as stated.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 13-Mar-16 01:47:13

Thanks janea, might get some when I need more oil.

I saw a video on YouTube that said you could use a tubing mascara on top of a normal mascara, so if you like a lot of volume, maybe you could use a volumising mascara and then finish off with a tubing mascara to seal your lashes. I like a more natural look, so a tubing mascara suits me, but lack of volume is what puts some people off them.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 13-Mar-16 01:49:29

shysal glad you're happy with your new lashes. Don't know why tubing mascaras don't get much publicity.

Anne2108 Sun 13-Mar-16 07:23:47

Thanks for the info on tube mascara,Jane & Wilma. I have ordered some from DHC (their p & p charges £4.50 - a lot for a tube of mascara, but presumably the same for multiple items). Now can someone help me find a really good moisturiser - not something that sinks in, but one that leaves a dewy surface that helps foundation go on evenly. I used to always use Charles of the Ritz Revenescence which was brilliant, but unfortunately, they disappeared years ago. I've never found anything to replace it.

Anne2108 Sun 13-Mar-16 07:39:58

Meant to add I've read the reviews on velvet skin coat on DHC site and it sounds as if it is most suitable on normal/oily skins. Mine is dry.

shysal Tue 15-Mar-16 08:51:50

Update on the tube mascara. I am thrilled with it! It can be built up with a few layers with no clumping. No panda eyes and so easy to remove by wetting with water for about 30 seconds, after which the tubes slide off the lashes! I shall stick with the L'Oreal as it is the cheapest at £7 on Ebay, and includes a primer. I have already ordered the next one!

wot Tue 15-Mar-16 09:38:45

Does anyone remember those mascaras in a block and you had to spit on them? Hahaha very hygenic!

maturefloosy Tue 15-Mar-16 11:28:00

I could not live without my mascara --I feel it makes the biggest single difference to my looks and instantly I have eyes.! I vary what I buy trying different ones each time but Maybelline Great lash works well and cheap.!

Blinko Mon 28-Mar-16 08:09:53

Wilma, a bit late getting back on this one, but thanks again for the tips re grey mascara. A friend and I did scour Birmingham a while ago but adopted rather a scattergun approach. Ill be able to search with mor focus now smile

Blinko Mon 28-Mar-16 08:10:10

more...

Lona Mon 28-Mar-16 08:43:50

shysal Thanks for the info, I bought the L'Oreal this week and it's great! Although, from Boots it cost £11ish!!
I wonder how long it will last? I did have a bad day though when I was in tears most of the time (don't ask!) but it didn't smear or run down and it stayed on my lashes, so big bonus! grin