Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Disowning the family.

(62 Posts)
rubylady Mon 04-Apr-16 21:06:46

Just before I came on here I phoned the vicar who is conducting the service tomorrow. She came round on Friday and was lovely, but no answer so I left a message. My DS is in a foul mood after going back to college today and I know better than to try to talk him round, better to leave him until he is ready to explain.

I'm just dreading it, saying goodbye to my dad. The only person who would have understood me tonight out of family is my dad. Maybe I should still "talk" to him, although he would be moaning then saying he doesn't get any peace from me, even in the afterlife.

rubylady Mon 04-Apr-16 20:58:24

It's been over 25 years of empty promises, saying they would come and see me/us but nothing. Telling me to "pull myself together" when I went through a bad depression and no coming to see me. Years of promises to the children as they grew up with no intentions of going through with it and disappointing them by not turning up. I've lived here nearly 18 months now, my sister passes my house to go and see my mother but never has called in, even after promising to. I got no support at all when my son when through his depression, months of me not knowing what to find when I got back home, him staying in his room not speaking or expressing himself because he was so low. I needed help. He needed help. Nothing. The only time they want me is when they have a problem. My brother is out there "putting his seed about as far and wide as he can" (his words for what men are supposed to be doing) and my sister is out still partying, never stopped. My mother is an alcoholic. She has brainwashed my sister. Sitting at the side of my dying dad she said that my beloved Auntie must have been a lesbian because my mum said so and my sister must have "got it from somewhere". My Auntie was happily married for many years. . . to my Uncle. But being gone, she can't answer for herself and would be horrified with that accussation. My sister was also recalling bad times between her and my dad while sitting at his bedside. Could he still hear her, who knows? I told them in October he was diagnosed with cancer and some time ago that he had dementia so they had plenty of time to see him but no, they have crawled out of the woodwork this last fortnight, only when he was on his deathbed. They keep wanting to go into his flat to find things of value, he has nothing of value.

As some will know, my health has deteriorated over the last couple of years. I can hardly get around the house most days now and I have told them about it. Again nothing. I know when I go for the treatment for these pre cancerous cells that they will be anywhere but with me. I have a heart appointment very soon and will be on my own. My brother came with me to have a monitor put on, had to have it on for a week, he had me sit in the car back at home while he spouted off about his problems for ages, me with the monitor just on, wanting to just be home but feeling like a prisoner in his car. A very oppressive person.

They manipulate and make me feel inferior all the time. And yet I'm the one who has been a single parent, hopefully got both children to university, kept a roof over their heads and food on the table. My brother has two sons, he teaches them to put their seed about too. He has had them part time since his divorce when they were very small, they live with their mum and stepdad so three parents there. My sister has none.

I have to get the negative people out of my life, the ones who don't care about me. My health has to get better or I don't know what I will do. In order to do this I have to do it on my own once and for all. Like I always have but thought I had a family to depend on.

Penstemmon Mon 04-Apr-16 20:32:14

flowers Please don't act in haste or when in such an emotional state. As others have said try to give yourself some time before you make or take major decisions/actions that in time you might come to regret.
I agree with cherrytree seek help and support form a friend who could act as a buffer between you and extended family . Take care x

Cherrytree59 Mon 04-Apr-16 20:10:34

Ruby so sorry for the sad time you are experiencing at the moment.
Have you got a close friend or family member that you get on with that could perhaps speak to them on your behalf?
They could maybe explain that you have been struggling with your dads ill health and at the moment you are still in the early stage of grief. Therefore you would appreciate if they could all give you some space and quiet time.
And if and when you are ready you will get in touch with them.
A big hug to you. This is definitely the time to put yourself first

Willow500 Mon 04-Apr-16 20:10:02

Ruby please don't do this at this time - you've been though so much and now isn't the time to make such a life changing decision. Get tomorrow over and give yourself some space to get your head together. You're in an emotional turmoil right now and whatever reasons you have for thinking you need to do this might look different in a few weeks. If they don't then it's easy enough to cut yourself off from your family - my DIL has done it with her own mother and sister with very good reasons but years down the line it's still very hard for her. I hope tomorrow goes as well as such a sad occasion can do flowers

MiniMouse Mon 04-Apr-16 19:29:09

Ruby you've had such an emotionally draining time without support, you must be feeling exhausted and let down. Wishing you well for tomorrow flowers

f77ms Mon 04-Apr-16 18:42:52

What have they done Ruby ? If they are causing you pain and distress then you are doing the right thing but sometimes things calm down if you give it time xx

Ana Mon 04-Apr-16 18:40:39

No, you can't do it legally, unless they're harassing/threatening you.

Perhaps they feel that as your dad has just died they'd like to keep in touch with you, but if there is so much bad blood between you you can only do what harrigran suggests. Sad, though sad

wot Mon 04-Apr-16 18:38:38

Give them another chance??????

harrigran Mon 04-Apr-16 18:36:41

Sad but if you are determined just don't answer the phone or reply to their letters and emails.

mumofmadboys Mon 04-Apr-16 18:29:16

That is a very sad wish, Rubylady.

rubylady Mon 04-Apr-16 18:27:15

I want to cut my extended family out of my life. The trouble is, they keep getting back in touch. I really don't want to be anywhere near them, I don't trust them at all. I am talking my siblings and my mother. How do I make it clear once and for all that I don't want them in my life? Or do I have to do it legally, even if you can do? They don't take no for an answer. It feels like being stalked.