Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you have done?

(77 Posts)
burrowdigger Thu 07-Apr-16 13:55:09

One evening a few weeks ago, I went for a meal with 2 friends to a small hotel in our local town. The hotel car park was full so we parked in a nearby public one. We then enjoyed our meal with a bottle of wine.
When we came to pay, Friend no. 1 wanted to pay on her card, so Friend no. 2 and myself agreed to settle with her afterwards. The young man who had served us dealt with the bill. We were chatting among ourselves and not paying much attention and when the transaction was completed, we left the hotel and walked back down the street to the car park.
A few minutes later, the young man came running down the street after us saying he had forgotten to charge us for the wine. Friend no 1, who is very law abiding, went straight back to the hotel and paid for it before we had a chance to discuss it. Friend no 2 and I were of the opinion that although it was probably a genuine mistake, it was the young man's and that as we had left the hotel premises, he had no right to come after us.Friend no. 1 argued that because we like to have coffee or a meal there regularly, she didn't want to upset them.
What would anyone else have done?

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 22:05:25

Jingl grin??