Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

holidays

(230 Posts)
cornergran Sun 24-Apr-16 10:04:14

Exactly Lillie. Our DGC will miss three days of school after the half term holiday as they are on a planned holiday from mid way in the previous week, but the experiences they will have will far outweigh the potential losses. Their parents have made no secret of it and because it is less than a week will not be fined, I don't blame them at all. However, with my school governor head on I know that some, please note I say some, parents were seriously abusing school absences and there needed to be a change. I'm not sure that the current system is the right change, it does discriminate. It is often debated in and out of school, but without a change in the law little can be done. Perhaps the teachers and ex teachers could share their thoughts on a better system?

Lillie Sun 24-Apr-16 09:56:17

Sorry, I think holidays are valuable time spent together with the family, and I would have no problem in allowing parents to take their children out of school for a reasonable period of time. No need to make up stories about being "ill" when one of the children is bound to let it slip anyway!
Education does matter, but so does quality time with one's children, and the difference in cost between term time versus school holidays can often mean a holiday or no holiday at all.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 09:52:03

You can actually hand over cash and be allowed to take your kids out of school to go on holiday? shock

So, one law for the better off and another for the poor! Diabolical!

I'm on the side of the fibbers.

Jane10 Sun 24-Apr-16 09:45:20

Well those children are learning a lot from their parents -education doesn't matter as much as getting cheaper deals on holidays. Not impressed at either of them.

patriciaann71 Sun 24-Apr-16 09:34:17

My daughter is paying £120 to take her 5 yr old son out of school for a holiday to Orlando. Another parent at the same school is also taking her two children out of school (same reason) but has confided in a "friend" that she is going to say that they are ill. What does anyone think of this?