Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help- advice on living with crutches.

(33 Posts)
Craftycat Fri 06-May-16 11:03:18

Very stupid little accident on Wednesday involving a kerb, a garden waste bin & a clumsy woman has led to broken bones in foot ( right one so I cannot drive) & a plaster cast .
I have never broken a bone before so this is a totally new experience for me.
I got the advice on how to walk with the crutches at the hospital but it's not that easy at all. Doesn't help that I have a rotator cuff impingement at the moment so one shoulder painful anyway.
I have got the swinging thing to walk but it's things like stairs & getting up & down steps that are foiling me. Tried going up stairs on bottom but they are quite deep & finished up crawling up as DGS does. That means plaster cuts painfully into back of leg. Coming down I just sort of slide- probably quite dangerous as I got quite fast this morning.
Other leg & arms & shoulders now hurt like hell. Is there a knack to all this??
Can't hoover, mop floors or take anything up or down stairs or even between rooms. I reckon I CAN iron if I get DH to put board down & move it next to a chair when he comes home from work. Phone is always in the room I'm not in - I may try hanging it on a ribbon round neck- tucked into bra right now but keeps falling out.

Really fed up.

However I DID manage to vote yesterday- went straight from hospital with wet plaster. Never missed in my life & wasn't going to this time.
Any tips on how I survive the next 6 weeks ( & yes I KNOW I'm very lucky it is only for 6 weeks & it WAS my own stupid fault)

Synonymous Sat 07-May-16 21:46:28

Craftycat I know I couldn't really hear the plaintive note in your voice as you said, "I'll be fine in a couple of days" but you are right and you will be fine soon. smile As you say, it is a confidence thing.
My DH says just one banister and a crutch is what you need to use for support and using the two banisters is asking for trouble! You are fortunate to be able to use your strongest arm where you need it most since you can choose which banister to use.

It is difficult to wait for help when you need it and stay on very 'light duties' but you really must be kind to yourself so that you can heal properly. flowers

tiggypiro Sun 08-May-16 14:07:43

I agree with using one banister and one crutch to go up and down stairs but as I mentioned before have a spare crutch at the top of the stairs to use when you are up there. Another tip is to have a rope tied to the top of a banister and long enough to go down the stairs. Tie a large bag to the rope, fill it up with whatever needs taking up or down and just pull it up/ throw it down as needed once you get to the top.

Craftycat Mon 09-May-16 11:10:26

Our banisters are odd- you can't get you hand all round them as they are fixed to a side wall so I have kept to the crawl up method which is working fine.

I put a note on front door saying 'please be patient- may take a while to get to door' too- as I have to shop online now I don't want it all going back to depot.

I managed planting out the bedding by using an old blanket we use to keep cats hairs off sofa- rolled it longways &crawled along it by side of flower beds. When I ran out of blanket I rolled the bit behind me up & shuffled it round & then did the same again. Result!! The plants did not die in the containers. Then DH carried the pots over to me & I planted them sitting on a step. Very pleased with this small victory.
In case you are wondering DH could NOT have done it . I'd have been forever yelling' Roots DOWN!' Not his thing at all.

Ex work colleagues who were coming to lunch tomorrow are now picking me up & we are going to one of their houses instead & I have been offered a lift to my craft group on Thursday so I will be much happier when I get out of house.

Craftycat Sun 29-May-16 11:55:51

Well 4 1/2 weeks in & I am able to get about very well with boot.
I CAN walk without it for short distances (to loo in middle of the night mainly) but not doing it very often.
I was told at Fracture Clinic that I would know when I could start to walk normally again & they don't need to see me again - which is great. Trouble is I don't. I think I can do a bit without now but I would not try to drive yet.
It doesn't actually hurt to walk- ankle feels a bit achy but that wasn't the problem- I think it may be the way the boot supports it. The boot is very hot in this weather so I do take it off if I am lying in the garden on every comfortable sunbed which raises foot above heart- which I do at every available opportunity
Anybody have any experience of how long it should take- they said 'about 6 weeks' at the start but I am a quick healer.
I am surprised how well I have managed as I am always out & about. Kind friends have been marvelous taking me about & visiting but I have actually quite enjoyed being out of the frame for a bit & reading all those books I have had on Kindle waiting for me for ages. Also painted some furniture I had been planning to do for yonks.I rather hope when I am back to normal I can keep a coupe of days a week free just for me!
Very much doubt DH will continue to mow lawn & unload dishwasher though. It's been quite a revelation for him to see how much I do when he is at work!

granjura Sun 29-May-16 12:48:05

Well done you, onwards and forwards.

DH has continued to take part in cooking duties even though I am now able to do it myself- hurrah.

Craftycat Fri 03-Jun-16 11:30:30

I don't expect miracles- I know DH will be back to old ways as soon as this boot is off!
Having said that DGC stayed for 2 days this week being half term & 10 year old GS cut down all the tatty bushes round pond that were annoying me & 11 year old GS cooked a fantastic Macaroni Cheese from scratch (roux method)with me giving instructions- his first time too, GD just behaved well which is all I ever ask!!

I'm going to have a go at driving next weekend.

granjura Fri 03-Jun-16 14:52:13

Great to know you are on the mend and getting some help.

I drove to the physio yesterday for the first time since the knee replacement end March. Although I've always loved driving, I was actually a bit apprehensive- but it was great and I am soooo happy to be able to get my independence back! Hurrah x