Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birth of daughter's first baby

(63 Posts)
mutti Sat 04-Jun-16 12:52:41

Would you go abroad on a holiday within three weeks of the due date of a daughter's first baby? I don't want to but DH does. Nothing is booked.

Maggiemaybe Sat 04-Jun-16 13:14:37

Personally, no, I'd want to be at hand in case my daughter needed me, and on the spot for that first cuddle!

Alea Sat 04-Jun-16 13:21:29

Not personally.
It may depend on how far and for how long, but I would hope not to be too far away for 2 weeks either side of her due date - or prepared to fly home.

ElaineI Sat 04-Jun-16 13:21:55

No - daughter's waters broke at 31 weeks and was being monitored in hospital. They said not in labour so her parents-in-law went on their paid holiday and baby arrived day after. They were disappointed not to be there but all of us so grateful baby small but healthy. Felt sorry for SIL as you want your parents around when things are a bit hairy! All ended well however and baby now going through terrible twos!
I think as a Mum I would want to be around especially if not booked yet.

FarNorth Sat 04-Jun-16 13:23:57

Definitely not if nothing is booked yet.
Why does your DH want to go at that time?

obieone Sat 04-Jun-16 13:27:07

There are now several threads.
And I have seen this question before.

But no.

obieone Sat 04-Jun-16 13:28:16

9 threads!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jun-16 13:39:00

Flip me! No!

I read your name as 'multi'. Would have been appropriate. grin

Jane10 Sat 04-Jun-16 13:43:07

No no no!
We were in same position but had already booked. DH blithely expected us to keep to holiday plans. Not a chance. I got phoning and holiday rescheduled no bother at all. There's plenty of other times for a holiday but first GC is once in a lifetime (so are subsequent GCs of course!)

tanith Sat 04-Jun-16 14:03:01

No I wouldn't I'd like to be around for the event.

Luckygirl Sat 04-Jun-16 14:28:51

Nope!

mutti Sat 04-Jun-16 14:33:27

Sorry for multiple threads. Don't know what I pressed! I realised what I'd done straight away and immediately asked Gransnet to delete all but one, but too late it seems. Sorry about that and thank you all for your very helpful replies. Now I'm going to have to try not to make the same mistake again as I post this!

tanith Sat 04-Jun-16 14:48:24

Sorry I don't know what happened apart from a 'senior moment', I meant No I wouldn't go away I would want to be around for the event...

Judthepud2 Sat 04-Jun-16 19:26:07

Personally no I wouldn't but how about asking your DD what she thinks? And why on earth is your DH so keen to go at this time?

f77ms Sat 04-Jun-16 20:01:27

I wouldn`t go , she could go over as it is the first baby and anyway you may be needed which would be nice ! Why does your Husband want to be away at this precious time ? I find that strange .. If you ask your Daughter she will probably say to go because she wouldn`t want to spoil your holiday but may regret it when you are not there .

Indinana Sat 04-Jun-16 21:58:39

Not a cat in hell's chance would I be going away so close to my DD's due date. If you really don't want to go (and I suspect you feel quite strongly that you don't) then you must stand up to your husband. I simply don't understand why he would even suggest it! If you go, you know you will feel on edge throughout the holiday, worrying whether your DD will go into labour. It wouldn't exactly make for a relaxing holiday!

NotTooOld Sat 04-Jun-16 22:31:26

I answered this on one of the other threads which has probably gone now. Anyway, I would not want to go away so near to the birth but my DH would think nothing of it, like yours. Men! However, first births are often late so if it is going to cause trouble between you and your DH perhaps you could go away just for a week? It's not as if there's a first child to be cared for whilst Mum is having Number 2, is it? It's really the father's job to be present at the birth, not yours. I do feel the birth of a baby is a precious time for the parents to bond with the baby and to get used to being a family, plenty of time for Grandma to get involved a little later.

Stansgran Sun 05-Jun-16 09:12:35

We travelled to New York to be with dd1 for the birth of her first child. We took off three weeks and towards the last week when DH had to return to work still no baby. Her obstetrician was also equally pregnant and was doing daily tracings. I pointed out that to me dd looked as though she was in labour. She was delivered the following day and DH got to see his granddaughter before going home. I stayed on for a while longer. It was very hard leaving. But babies come when they want . They really can't read calendars in the womb.

Pippa000 Sun 05-Jun-16 09:14:29

Although not the same as DD, my DiL asked that I be available for when her first child was born, in preferance to her own mother. We were in Cyprus and I flew back the same day they told us she (GD) had been born, so arrived the next day hours after DiL came home. I agree with the sentiment that the time immediately following the birth is very special to the parents, but I was very honoured (sorry if this sounds a bit old fashioned) to be asked to be part of the first few weeks, DH followed three weeks later.

Nelliemoser Sun 05-Jun-16 09:54:11

No! I would want that early day cuddle. It was next day for both of mine. I was on toddler minding duty for #2 and that new baby was born 7pmish.

Tegan Sun 05-Jun-16 10:08:29

Would you actually enjoy the holiday; I think your mind would be elsewhere and you'd just be waiting for the phone to ring?Your DH needs to understand that.

ninathenana Sun 05-Jun-16 11:29:57

I must be very odd.
My first GC was born in Germany (daddy army) I didn't see him apart from photos until he was 3 wks. I didn't even considered being in Germany for the birth. Though I would have if D had asked.

mutti Wed 08-Jun-16 21:30:10

Thank you all for your helpful replies. We won't now be going away; DH has now understood my need to stay close. It was reassuring to see that others feel the same way as I do.

GrandmaMoira Wed 08-Jun-16 21:41:04

I was invited to my step grandson's Army passing out parade when my 2nd GC was due - I let my husband go without me and he took another of his Grandsons with him instead.

Indinana Wed 08-Jun-16 22:29:26

Oh I am pleased your husband understands how you feel mutti. You can relax now and look forward to your new little grandchild. (When is it due?)