Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

tea dance

(25 Posts)
Jalima Thu 16-Jun-16 19:41:56

Sister goes to these.
I would suggest nice suede bottomed heels and a lovely flowing skirt that swirls as you dance.

Oh - you're not a bloke are you? Robert or Roberta?
You will be in demand, especially if you're the youngest there.

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 19:14:41

Thanks very much for that janeainsworth.

janeainsworth Thu 16-Jun-16 18:46:44

Robert You aren't Father Dougal are you?grin
If you are ever in Northumberland see if there are any tea dances on at Alnwick Garden.
I went to one a couple of months ago and it was fantastic - good music, a beautiful setting, good company and a lovely afternoon tea thrown in too.
I hope you enjoy yourself smile

Deedaa Thu 16-Jun-16 18:13:30

Bracknell is not a hot bed of social life at the moment and if it was I don't get a lot of time off from babysitting.

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 17:33:13

Why not? I thought there would be loads of them going on?

Deedaa Thu 16-Jun-16 16:23:02

I've never had the opportunity to go to a tea dance Robert, but I suspect you will be REALLY popular!

vampirequeen Thu 16-Jun-16 15:38:09

They'll be fine. Tea dances are about feeling comfortable and having fun.

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 14:09:21

Yes exactly I totally agree. I don't have chinos though - I just have the two suit trousers - one is grey and other navy (stripe just visible). They are barely worn though and have a good press in them.

annodomini Thu 16-Jun-16 14:05:48

You could look neat and tidy in jeans, but they would look silly with formal shoes, so a well pressed pair of chinos would be appropriate.

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 13:44:55

I suppose what I wanted to ask was if I could use the weekly dance as an opportunity to wear "good clothes". I don't mean trendy but more "neat and tidy"?

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 11:46:34

I know what you mean. There was always a shortage of male partners from what I saw before. Ladies would dance each other in that case. I did have to dance a lot of people in the couple that I went to, so I got a fair bit of practice and didn't make too many mistakes.

I didn't want to go at first (at home), but I did like the atmosphere and I still don't drink so I am happy enough to start going again.

GandTea Thu 16-Jun-16 11:42:35

Robert, any 19 year old at our dances would get mobbed by grannies, whatever he wore grin

GandTea Thu 16-Jun-16 11:38:25

Don't see very many patent shoes at our dances.

I'm still waiting to be "owned", sounds interesting grin

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 11:34:08

Yes! I have exactly that type of shoe. I also have black shoes but they have grips but I have a pair which are smooth soled as you described. They are black and can be polished but are not patent.

I am not that good Tricia - I wish I was and you would be welcome to join me lol. I'm OK though. I'm not an athlete or anything but I am not naturally awkward either.

I probably won't wear jeans. I have a couple of pairs of trousers from suits. I don't have that many but they are in very good condition and are navy and grey (with a stripe).

TriciaF Thu 16-Jun-16 11:28:57

Do you dance like this Robert?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI5l5KvlUQ8
If so I'd like to come and join you wink.

GandTea Thu 16-Jun-16 11:25:58

Shoes, you need smooth soles that will not grip the floor. If you already have some suitable shoes but with grippy soles, you can get self adhesive suede soles to stick on from eBay.(they even work for trainers), This is what I did.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dancers-Stick-On-Suede-Soles-Heels-Mens-Ladies-Dance-Dancers-DIY-Shoe-Repair-/261236780807?var=&hash=item3cd2ecef07:m:mx6tjtIPaPVfmdgXWp2Ujow

vampirequeen Thu 16-Jun-16 11:13:47

Usually it's smart casual but tbh it's whatever you're comfortable in. I would suggest that you wear shoes rather than trainers because trainer soles tend to grip the floor too much.

Once you've learned the dances you'll be very popular no matter what you wear (well not sure if you wear a mankini lol). There is always a shortage of male partners.

Try not to let yourself become 'owned'. Ladies are very possessive about their male partners.

DH is a amateur competition dancer so has a partner but he regularly gets emails from other ladies (some not so ladylike) who try to entice him with a variety of offers (innocent and not so innocent). When we go dancing the ladies who are not used to me being there are very annoyed that he insists on dancing with me rather than them.

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 11:02:19

I have been to one before but it was a couple of years ago and it was in N.Ireland (home). It was with my mum and grandparents and I remember wearing a pullover without sleeves and a tie. Bit old fashioned but was fine when I got there.

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 10:21:42

I wear jeans everyday really. I think proper shoes are important (to do with the floor). I don't think I should go in jeans though although it could be ok.

GandTea Thu 16-Jun-16 10:19:08

We go to evening dances each Friday, people wear everything from jeans upwards. Smart casual is the order of the day at our dances.
Very occasionally you see a ballroom outfit, man in lycra, lady in as little as she can get away with smile
Most women do wear heels and men shoes (no trainers)

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 10:13:09

I never realised afternoon dancing could be as hazardous as that smile I wonder what I am putting myself in for! Still going to go though!

MiniMouse Thu 16-Jun-16 10:09:10

Steel toe-capped shoes? wink

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 10:04:33

smile

Oldgreymare Thu 16-Jun-16 10:02:06

A suit of armour?

robkn016 Thu 16-Jun-16 09:56:02

Hello,
I have just joined really to ask a question if anyone can help or suggest anything.

I have been lucky enough(!) to have been invited to join a weekly tea/sequence dance (Wed. afternoons). I will be by far the youngest there and I was just wondering what to wear to make a good impression? I haven't asked the organisers but I thought I would just see what response I would get here first. I will appreciate any advice or suggestion!

Thanks and hello again

Robert