Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which vacuum cleaner to choose

(72 Posts)
grannyscott Tue 21-Jun-16 13:22:16

Just moved house and the carpets are a luxurious thick pile. My vacuum cleaner (Dyson) rolls forward on it but won't pull back so I need to buy a new one fit for the job. Suggestions please.

phizz Mon 27-Jun-16 23:07:05

My last three cleaning ladies have told me our Miele cat and dog is the best vac ever but of course they weren't able to buy one.
They'll be able to now.... grin

Genoeve Sat 25-Jun-16 23:33:23

Yes, another vote for Gtech. Good customer service too. Have the upright and the hand held (18 months old)

shirleyhick Sat 25-Jun-16 21:21:12

I agree I think a you need a cylinder hoover I have got one I use upstairs by Hoover brand and it has a extra long extention that you can add on to it and the wire is extra long.

Jenty61 Sat 25-Jun-16 18:57:06

Ive recently bought a Shark vacuum ( cheaper on Amazon) have to say its the best one Ive ever bought....I couldnt believe the dirt it picked up the first time I used it and there was me thinking that my carpets were clean!

mernice Sat 25-Jun-16 18:13:28

I can highly recommend Sebo. Sorry, it's German made but excellent straightforward sweeping. John Lewis sell them.

Bez1989 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:21:52

I LOVE my 2 G Tech cordless vavuum cleaners.
One pink...Pink Panther.
One black...Darth Vadar
I also have their very powerful cordless
hand held for stairs, upholstry etc. which has a little kinky headlight on it for dark corners on stair carpet ! sunshine
It has an additional attatchment
which is very good for cleaning car interiors.
Check them out on their web site.
Im not connected with their company.
Just one happy customer.
PS...after years of buying Dysons Ill never change from my G Techs !!

mrsmopp Sat 25-Jun-16 13:26:18

Sallyswin, is your Bosch cordless the Athlet?
I just googled it and it came up. It apparently runs for 75 minutes between charges which seems very good. Hadn't heard of that one nor seen it advertised either.

sallyswin Sat 25-Jun-16 11:34:06

Bosch cordless - very light and powerful, setting for hard floors and no bags to buy. My miele now lives in the shed where it was put because I was sure I would use it occasionally. I haven't!

Doreen5 Sat 25-Jun-16 10:44:21

SEBO without a doubt!

Bluesmum Sat 25-Jun-16 10:27:31

Grannyscott, do contact Dyson and tell them about this problem. My friend recently had new carpet and her relatively new Dyson upright would not move on it! She contacted dyson on my advice and they were very interested in her problem, which apparently is not that uncommon. They gave her a very generous allowance against a suitable "stick" model and she sold her upright and then was not out of pocket! Worth a phone call?

SloeGinny Sat 25-Jun-16 10:23:06

Really interesting to see this as I replaced my old Dyson with a corded Animal about 2 years ago and really don't like it. I don't find it good on edges and corners, you have to remember to 'double click' it back upright or else it falls over and the entire cord has to be removed from its holder to use the tube. I also find that using the tube is difficult as its so unwieldy and the whole thing is too heavy for me to do the stairs.

I'd be very hesitant about buying a Miele as I treated myself to one of their dishwashers and have to say that it's the worst appliance it's ever been my misfortune to own! There's nothing actually wrong with it, in that everything works, it's just that the dishes have to be clean before they go in, or else they come out with any residue baked hard onto them. Miele want to come out and 'repair' it again, at the cost of more than a new (different brand) dishwasher.

I've been contemplating the G-Tech, so good to read the comments for those.

Roxannediane Sat 25-Jun-16 09:47:21

Sebo - amazing machines with a long guarantee too.

AllTheLs Sat 25-Jun-16 09:46:23

Thumbs up for the Miele cat and dog. (Now we've left the EU does this mean we're not limited on hoover power any more? wink)

rubylady Sat 25-Jun-16 02:31:32

I was just going to make that point BB. We have been told what watts we can have to suck up all our grot, now we can have Turbo Vacuums! And bent bananas!!!!

BBbevan Fri 24-Jun-16 16:32:07

We have a Meile, but you can get a Big Sucky Hoover now we are coming out of the EU grin

mrsmopp Fri 24-Jun-16 15:52:01

It might be worth checking the Which report for their reviews. They are usually very accurate. The local library stocks the magazine. I think I would try that.
I have a dyson which weighs a ton and nearly pulls my arms out of their sockets so I have delegated the hoovering to DH.
Why do we still use Hoover as a verb- nobody ever says they dysonned the house!

cazthebookworm Fri 24-Jun-16 08:45:44

Yes Cangran, directly from Gtech, it seemed the best deal around......probably wont use the hand held one very much, only for the stairs, and it is a bit heavy, so something to bear in mind, but will still be the easiest way to hoover the stairs when necessary smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Jun-16 14:25:19

this is the one that's horribly heavy It's because you have to carry the handheld baby one around all the time because that's where the motor is.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Jun-16 14:20:55

I bought the Morphy Richard cordless one recently. So regret it! It's so heavy it puts me off using it. Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy the Dyson pair. Will offer this one to DD. She's stronger than I am.

cangran Thu 23-Jun-16 14:16:12

cazthebookworm - did you buy your Gtech & hand held directly from the Gtech site? Have had my eye on for ages but looking for a good deal. Also, do you use the hand held much?

cazthebookworm Thu 23-Jun-16 10:06:39

Just bought a Gtech and the hand held device with attachments with £50 off for the two together. It reminds me of the old sweepers of years ago, but much more powerful, hoovering is almost a pleasure now . How do you dispose of your old hoover is my question ?

vintage1950 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:32:22

Our Henry is excellent but heavy and unwieldy. We had a GTECH which got clogged up with our daughter's long hair and stopped working. GTECH replaced it but the same thing happened again. No refund. We felt that we had wasted around £200. If you have a short-haired family it might be fine but not if you have anyone in your home with long hair. Daughter's hair goes down to her waist.

Jalima Wed 22-Jun-16 20:47:50

I like my new Dyson

GandTea Wed 22-Jun-16 20:41:49

Dyson employ 1200 people in the UK in product design and development. They manufacture overseas in order to compete with the other major manufacturers. This is what all big companies do, in fact some household names contract their design and development out overseas.
I worked for 34 years in a British company that had its design & development in the UK, but could not afford to manufacture here, it's a fact of life in manufacturing now. The UK is good at product design and development but too expensive for manufacture.

AnnieGran Wed 22-Jun-16 20:20:40

Hey, Granjura - that's why I have never got a Dyson (apart from not being able to lift one). The man took his manufacturing abroad, as you said, and now is gesturing around about the referendum The man shouldn't even have a vote. In my opinion, of course.

I find that vacuum cleaners always die just when you have a load of bills to pay and can only afford a cheap one. I have managed to keep the house clean on a variety of cheap cleaners over the years, anything which is in a sale. I admit to not having a cat or dog, otherwise I would need to be a bit more choosy.