Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Who and why?

(30 Posts)
Seb2015 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:40:00

The last 24 hours have been amongst my worst. My eldest DS is a skilled carpenter - a member of the Guild of Master Craftsmen (that isn't just to boast, it's to show that these things can happen to anyone). He has had a really stressful couple of weeks with customers wanting things yesterday and others who didn't want to pay (threatened with a knife kinda didn't want to pay). So, at the end of the working day yesterday, he was stressed and distracted and had a run-in with a panel saw. I'll spare you the gory details but he spent five hours in surgery trying to have his thumb reattached. At the moment, things look promising.

Anyway, I came home from the hospital an hour ago after being there all day to find that someone has 'done' my front garden. Hedges trimmed and lawn cut. My other 3 DC and their partners say it wasn't them - and it couldn't have been because they too have been at the hospital. None of the neighbours know what has happened so it wouldn't have been an act of 'don't know what to do to help so I'll do this' situation. I don't know whether to be grateful to my unknown gardener or find it a little sinister. Maybe I'm just being over sensitive because of what's happened. Whoever has done it has done a really good job (apart from really hacking a couple of bushes I really liked) and all the trimmings are in my green bin. What do you reckon?

hulahoop Mon 27-Jun-16 13:23:17

Sorry my post as jumped onto wrong thread ?

Nonnie1 Sun 26-Jun-16 11:03:55

Weird. I made a post on this thread and it isn't here !

Nana3 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:18:25

Hope your DS recovers, so sorry it must be very painful and will affect his work.
The secret gardener must have been spotted by someone.
granjura so very sorry for your troubles! especially your DD. I have always tried to only worry about things I can do something about. Doesn't always work though.

hulahoop Sun 26-Jun-16 09:48:52

What a lovely time and how thoughtful of your s and dil to ask you regarding gift I always asked the parents if there was anything they needed maybe something difficult for them to get in Barcelona do you know sex of baby? Ask what they would like you to help with . I would be tempted to help in house and cooking ng leaving parents to spend time together as a family and bond with baby you could offer to look after baby for maybe an hour so they could have a nice meal together they obviously want you there so enjoy your time with them enjoy being a grandparent it's brilliant hope all goes well ??

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 18:20:54

Defnitely sounds like a case of wrong address to me. Hope you don't get a bill!

1974cookie Sat 25-Jun-16 18:14:50

Hi Seb.
The way that I see it, if whoever sorted out your garden was being sinister, then they would not have put all of the trimmings in the appropriate bin. Okay they may have hacked a couple of bushes, but I think that if the person involved was not well meaning, then they would have left the results of their work all over your garden for you to clear up. Nasty people would not clear up after themselves, they would want to make a point.
Accept it as a kindness I would say.??

shysal Sat 25-Jun-16 15:22:08

Hello Juney64, and welcome if you are new to Gransnet. I fear that your request for advice might go un-noticed amongst other subject matter. May I suggest that you start a new thread. This will ensure that you will get plenty of replies from the lovely grandparents on here.
Go to 'Forums', select a relevant 'topic' (Grandparenting or Ask A gran)then click on 'start a new discussion' where you can put in an eye-catching title and repeat your question.
Sorry if I appear picky, but I am hoping to help. smile

jeberdes83 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:49:22

Sounds to me like a random act of kindness re the garden.
Hope all goes well with the thumb thing.

Juney64 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:47:03

Hello Grans,

I'm looking for advice from experienced Grans as I'm about to become one for the first time. I have 3 Sons, 2 in their forties, one in his thirties. My oldest Son and his partner live in Barcelona and they've invited me to come and share their experience next month for a few days when the baby is due. My Son's partner is from Argentina and both her parents, who I've never met, are going to be there. They have hired a little villa to stay in and I will be staying with my Son and partner.
My concern is that I don't want to be seen as 'taking over' in ANY way. I don't know how involved to become / hang back, what to buy for the baby (it's a boy). I understand that the baby has everything he could need. I feel as though there are lots of things I should be thinking of as a Gran but may be missing. It's been so long since I've been involved with babies.
Any general advice about becoming a grandparent for the first time would be much appreciated. Thanks.

breeze Sat 25-Jun-16 14:29:26

My first thoughts are to wish your DS well and really hope the surgery is successful and his thumb heals well and functions well, important for his line of work I should think. Everyone above has said everything I would've said re the garden. How bizarre if you really don't think a neighbour could've known and all the family were at the hospital. And why think of 'doing the garden' at such a time. A casserole? Cake? would be the usual gesture? Will you let us know when you find out who did it? Intriguing!

Hollycat Sat 25-Jun-16 12:04:26

Oj, please don't think of it as "sinister", it's a kind act by someone who doesn't want a fuss made. Years ago someone did the same thing for my mother when my father spent a long time in hospital. We never did find out who mowed the grass - but how very kind that was. More than the grass, it was just so nice to think someone took the time and effort to make life a bit more bearable.

oznan Sat 25-Jun-16 11:14:41

Sorry to hear of your troubles,I do hope that hubby will recover well and find some nicer customers in the future.It's unbelievable that anyone would threaten him with a knife rather than pay up.
I would think that your garden is either a mistaken address case or a very kind gesture.You are sensitive at the moment but please don't read more into it.After all,if someone wanted to make a "sinister" gesture they would hardly leave your garden all neat and tidy.
Best wishes to you and your family for better times ahead.

Synonymous Sat 25-Jun-16 11:14:04

granjura sorry to hear of all your family concerns and them all bombarding you at once.
Best not to worry about things you can do absolutely nothing about (like your feelings about brexit for example) and save your energies for the things you can. Stresses can just sap your energy can't they! sad

Synonymous Sat 25-Jun-16 11:08:46

SEB hope there is good news by now regarding your DS. We always suffer with them don't we!
What a lovely thing to have your garden done for you! If it is a kind gesture it says more than words really. On the other hand I hope you don't get a bill through your letterbox! hmm

Lilyflower Sat 25-Jun-16 10:20:44

It seems like an act of kindness. People are really good hearted.

I hope your DS is OK. Much sympathy.

sallyswin Sat 25-Jun-16 09:51:17

We had booked a lawn care firm but they went to a house in the next road (called 76 D.... Road instead of 76 D.... Crescent and treated their lawn. This happened twice and there have been several delivery men who can't read! Perhaps they got the wrong house number or street. Surely a kind neighbour would have just cut the grass - not a major overhaul. Best wishes to your son. My cousin lost half her thumb (could not be reattached) and now manages fine and says she forgets all about it even when doing handicrafts.

harrysgran Sat 25-Jun-16 09:37:25

That's wonderful how lovely just accept out as a genuine act of kindness good things sometimes happen to good people hope your son makes a speedy recovery.

Rosina Sat 25-Jun-16 09:31:40

Good luck to your son for his swift recovery - what a dreadful thing for a craftsman. Miracles are worked now by surgeons; we are so lucky nowadays.

My son is particularly terrifying with hand tools; he managed to snap a tendon in his finger when he caught it in the drill - nothing like as awful as your son's misfortune, but my daughter in law has banned him from using dangerous stuff and made him take a small circular saw back to the DIY store. We never stop fretting, worrying and suffering anguish for our children, do we?

As to your garden I would simply relax and think of it in exactly the way you initially did - the kindness of strangers. There is no future in thinking anything else so unless/until you find out, I would assume that someone heard of the accident and decided to cheer you up. Big hugs.

MinniesMum Sat 25-Jun-16 09:12:07

My sympathies - hope by now he is recovering. My son did the same thing but with a finger. He is an organist and needs all 10 fingers and thumbs! He also repairs old organs and he was filing off a piece of rough wood when the saw slipped. That was 5 weeks ago and it has healed beautifully and mercifully no nerves were damaged - he just has a slightly fat finger. Huge thank you to Southampton Hospital who operated swiftly.
If you find out who sorted your garden, please send them to my address!

vampirequeen Fri 24-Jun-16 08:47:13

Hope things go well with your DS.

The garden is a mystery but whatever happened, apart from the bushes that will grow back, it's a lovely mystery.

harrigran Thu 23-Jun-16 23:32:36

Oh goodness that injury sound awful hope your DS recovers well.

Seb2015 Thu 23-Jun-16 22:41:42

Thank you all for your kind messages - my other DS has suggested that a gardener has gone to the wrong address ( just wish my bushes and basil had survived but hey, in the scheme of things, this is absolutely nothing). If I find out who the culprit kind person is, I will let you know... and granjura, you sound like you are having a really rough time of it - lots of virtual hugs xxx

Auntieflo Thu 23-Jun-16 22:37:13

Guardian angels do exist

Lona Thu 23-Jun-16 22:05:56

Hope ds is ok, they can do amazing surgery these days flowers

rubysong Thu 23-Jun-16 22:02:22

Sorry to hear about the injury. Hope all will be well.
Maybe a neighbour booked the gardeners and they went to the wrong address.