Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How to clean wee wee stains off underside of loo seat

(46 Posts)
Jaxie Sat 25-Jun-16 11:30:06

I occasionally do for a man who never cleans the underside of his white plastic loo seat, which consequently now sports a nasty yellow stain I can't seem to bleach off - any solutions, grans?

Grannynise Mon 27-Jun-16 20:32:36

My downstairs loo seat is silver with glitter. It doesn't show any stains unlike the upstairs white one. Might be worth considering if replacing? And it surprises visitors!

rubylady Mon 27-Jun-16 01:54:47

Plus, I bought a pink padded toilet seat for when my son leaves. They have bad reviews for breaking quickly but hey ho, it will be comfortable for a bit. Please don't stop talking to me. grin

rubylady Mon 27-Jun-16 01:52:23

I bought some Travel John last night. Like Jingle, I sometimes have to do wee wee in the open but sometimes I get desperate in other places and with being on water tablets, it gets pretty desperate. So, enter stage left Travel John which is a bag of crystals which absorb fluids when filled and can be sealed. The advert saying that it puts a whole new slant on a pack of three made me laugh. Oh, the things I buy, it's a wonder e bay hasn't banned me by now! grin

BTW never tried these before, first time ordering them so I will let you know what happens. blush (I do wonder why the men aren't queueing up to date me! grin

Falconbird Sun 26-Jun-16 11:34:53

I find that wet wipes get most stains off things. Depends on the age of the toilet seat of course.

I was upset recently when trying to have a wee behind a bush to discover that I'm too stiff to crouch down very far.

Yes a new loo seat is a very good solution to the OP problem. I'm not practically minded but I found fitting a new loo seat quite easy.

Jaxie Sun 26-Jun-16 10:58:23

Thank you everyone who replied to my plea. I shall try your tips, and if they don't work it's a new loo seat. The following might start a new thread: I confess I judge the cleanliness of others by peering into the container where they store their toothbrushes: if horrid at the base I kind of feel superior. How pathetic, since real housewifes would blench at the sight of my skirting boards. It's confession time, grans: what makes you feel good, and why does the sisterhood judge?

Bellanonna Sat 25-Jun-16 23:21:16

Jbf grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 23:08:52

Yes, when squatting in the open air I have learned to allow for sideways drift to the right, otherwise that shoe gets wet.

Jaxie Sat 25-Jun-16 22:59:00

I'm confused about the responses to my query. I was expecting some suggestions for cleaning materials. However, I've often wondered why I didn't wee straight mysell after surgey "up there" now it's been explained.

Elegran Sat 25-Jun-16 21:45:53

The only thing you can say about it is that the alternative would be worse.

harrigran Sat 25-Jun-16 20:05:09

Episiotomy plus pelvic floor damage from operation means I can barely wee at all, I just love old age.

Envious Sat 25-Jun-16 19:10:18

Lol! Just be glad you don't experience it! grin

Elegran Sat 25-Jun-16 19:09:05

Plus the contours of the buttocks . . .

This discussion could deteriorate into posting diagrams.

Ana Sat 25-Jun-16 19:07:28

Sorry I spoke now...confused

Elegran Sat 25-Jun-16 19:06:29

ana It depends on what angle of sideways we are talking about - a few degrees from vertical or a few degrees from horizontal!

Bellanonna Sat 25-Jun-16 19:05:30

Didn't refresh, sorry, so bit late with that comment

Elegran Sat 25-Jun-16 19:04:50

nonnie "glass half full" may not be a good way to put it on this thread.

I have several coloured glass ornaments - vases, large goblets etc - glowing in the sunshine on my bathroom wondowsill. I have had a few comments about them being potentially useful in an emergency, from "witty" visitors.

Bellanonna Sat 25-Jun-16 19:04:33

Behind a tree on a picnic, say, Ana? Of course that wouldn't affect the underside of a loo seat when weeing at home so can't see it matters. Just explaining about the direction, from one who knows...

Ana Sat 25-Jun-16 19:03:05

I did have an episiotomy actually, Elegran, plus multiple stitches. I was only questioning how one would 'get wet' when sitting on the loo to wee.

Elegran Sat 25-Jun-16 19:00:48

Clearly you do not have this problem, ana It is probably caused by episiotomy scars deflecting the wee from straight down. One of the many prices women pay for having children.

Envious Sat 25-Jun-16 18:59:11

Well I thought it happened to women of a certain age I have pelvic floor problems and I don't always pee straight. blush

Ana Sat 25-Jun-16 18:54:37

Envious, son't most women sit down to wee? How would you get wet? confused

ninathenana Sat 25-Jun-16 18:42:12

Both my loo seats have stains on the underside
blush
Splashes from men having the seat up when they 'go' ???

Envious Sat 25-Jun-16 18:40:47

You get wet Ana !

Ana Sat 25-Jun-16 18:36:09

How do you know you pee sidewise? Do you peer down and watch? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 18:35:54

Of course, sideways isn't upwards. Hmm... confused