Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gift ideas for 60th birthday for mother in law?

(44 Posts)
goldsticks Thu 30-Jun-16 11:30:51

My mil is going to be 60 in Aug and my husband and I are really struggling to think of a good gift? She likes 'smellies' but that's pretty much it and we can't very well give her some lavender bath salts for a big birthday? She doesn't really drink so no champagne etc, likes to 'potter' about the house and garden and do minor diy but that's about it. She also doesn't like a fuss and has vetoed any idea of a big bash (or even a little one) for her big day. Any ideas would be very welcome, thank you. She's a lovely,kind-hearted woman and we'd really like to do/give her something she'd love .

Tizliz Fri 01-Jul-16 12:02:23

I would like someone to do the jobs I want in the garden - move this plant, prune this tree, build a rockery, put some new bulbs in etc.
No wandering off to watch TV!

narrowboatnan Fri 01-Jul-16 12:25:59

Had a barn dance to celebrate my 60th. No presents, but gifts of money for a local charity that I was involved with.
We celebrated the Narrow Boat Captain's 60th with a trip to London, over night stay and a visit to The Theatre In The Round for A Midsummer Nights Dream. Also visited the V and A museum while we were there. He enjoyed the whole thing.

carerof123 Fri 01-Jul-16 12:28:34

My sister took me for afternoon at Fortnum and Masons but if there is a local hotel i bet she would love that there is nothing to dislike about afternoon tea and it can be quite a small affair but just marks the special day especially if you buy her some of her favorite 'smellies' to present at the tea. If she is a keen gardener what about some really good gardening gloves. I have a pair made from leather and they are fantastic they stop anything going through especially thorns!!! A nice gardening apron is always useful as well one with the pockets on the front so you can put small tools in.

Pinkshoes26 Fri 01-Jul-16 12:48:21

I was thinking the same as Tisliz.
I am always very thankful of family helping out with the odd jobs. We recently had an hour with family helping out in the garden. Taking out an old tree stump. Helping to plant the plants we had bought. A bit of weeding and plenty of tea and nibbles.
I could say the same for decorating /painting a room in the house. I paint our rooms but would be happy to give my time to paint a room for a gift.

nannypink1 Fri 01-Jul-16 13:10:23

Love that garden tour idea. Perhaps you could club together with someone else. I would love that
x

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Jul-16 13:31:30

A bit boring, I know, but I would give her vouchers if you'd rather not ask her for suggestions. There are some lovely ideas on here, but you can't please all the people all the time smile I have really thoughtful presents from my own 60th over a year ago that still haven't seen the light of day (but will have to if the people who gave them come to visit!). It'd be a shame to spend your money on something she doesn't want.

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Jul-16 13:46:45

Though if she likes non-specific smellies I don't think you could go wrong with anything from Jo Malone. They're so beautifully presented and I don't know anyone who doesn't love her scents, though no doubt I'll now be put right!

kathw12 Fri 01-Jul-16 13:52:46

My family took me to Wales for 4 days altogether in a farmhouse-was just what I wanted! Plus I was given a photo album with photos in a 'this is your life' format! No big gifts just lots of thoughtfulness.

grands Fri 01-Jul-16 14:48:21

60 can be a significant Birthday. It was until recently the landmark for a woman's Retirement. On my Mothers 60th Birthday we Celebrated both occasions, it probably made it easier.We used it as an Event for a family gathering, including close friends. Held the Event at my home, as she does not like fuss, or being the centre of attention. So it was a gathering of people she was fond of, sharing food, refreshments ( no alcohol, as my Mum does not drink alcohol). Easy listening music, as background music, allowing her to chat to people. She had been retired for a few months, having been offered retirement / redundancy earlier that year. She was now taking her youngest grandson to nursery, as his mother had taken on employment. So she luckily could share fact that she enjoyed spending more time with her grandchildren. Having developed a closer bond with the youngest, he was delighted to spend time with his Gran. She collected him from nursery on some occasions, as his mum's working hours varied.

We chose to get Mum some practical items. She enjoyed the time she spent at the gathering of family and friends the most. Chat and humour being part of the day.

Maybe your Mother in Law would enjoy spending time with the family etc. You mention she likes gardening :- Maybe some garden furniture, a tree to mark this significant Birthday etc would be useful, practical gifts which she could appreciate. A fruit tree would also produce nourishment which she could enjoy and possibly share with others in the future.

Best Wishes. Hope you all enjoy the significant Birthday.Celebrate!

Coolgran65 Fri 01-Jul-16 14:59:07

Our boys clubbed together and booked a vintage manor house for dh and myself, 3 ds plus 3 ddil and 2 dgc. 10 altogether. An hour's drive from home. Very victorian style, no tv, lots of board games. A piano that the dc were allowed use. Open fires.

A massive table in the kitchen seated everyone. There was an electric cooker and a Rayburn. Two staircases.
Stags head in the hallway.
Hot tub in the barn with seating area and towels and robes.

A food delivery from Asda one hour after we arrived.

We were reassured that the cost was no more than it would have been for a hotel, we will never forget it.

eGJ Fri 01-Jul-16 16:41:00

I have just given a 60 year and a 70 year old similar presents. both went down a storm!! A Wentworth hand cut puzzle where the whimseys say Happy 60th or 70th birthday with a pictures of the grandchildren as the picture of the completed puzzle. Might that do?

adaunas Fri 01-Jul-16 16:53:18

A book called sterilise the dentures, I'm 60 has gone down really well with my 60 year old friend and relatives, whatever else you give.

mich777 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:55:41

Afternoon tea at the Ritz with a London show later?

Meal up the Shard maybe?

Enjoy whatever it is

grandMattie Fri 01-Jul-16 17:55:34

Personally? For my 70th, I'd like TIME. I would like to be given time by my DC to help in the garden, drive me here or there [I'm not a brave driver], or something similar. I have plenty of "stuff", am not really interested in shows [which DH won't go to anyway, and would prefer a companion].
I would like one-to-one with each of my grandchildren, so we can get to know each other really well... Nothing fancy really, just little thoughtful touches.
All this stuff which happens in London is fine for Londoners, unless one has two nights there, it is often too tiring to do in one day trip.

grandMattie Fri 01-Jul-16 17:56:54

PS for my 60th, nothing really. I can't remember, so it can't have been memorable...

Deedaa Fri 01-Jul-16 20:53:16

For my 70th DS booked afternoon tea for DH and me at a hotel, and very nice it was.

annodomini Fri 01-Jul-16 21:17:11

I must admit I like a party and the family obliged in a big way for my 70th. Old friends and colleagues, relations rarely seen except at funerals and. of course, all 5 GC. We had a great afternoon. What a pity your MiL isn't into parties.

angsw Fri 01-Jul-16 23:55:56

I was 60 recently and DH bought me a 'feature' size Olive tree as I'm always admiring them. We later went out to buy a nice pot for it. On the patio and I love seeing it from kitchen