Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Am I now Completely Mad ( longish post)

(120 Posts)
grannylyn65 Fri 08-Jul-16 09:17:57

Some of you may know a bit about me!
Anyway, have lived alone for over 25 years, retired on State P, a small work one and have a wee job
Out of the pension pot I have bought DS one 2 holidays ) they both work hard and struggle.
My oldest son ( 44) has probably worked a month in his life, is highly intelligent and been given chances all his life. He looks like a tramp (apologies to tramps! ) and spends all his benefits on weed and now has no teeth but can't be bothered to sort it, over the years I have shelled out thousands to try to keep him out of trouble and when his benefits are stopped because he 'forgot to attend interview' He has been in prison twice in his teenage years.
Well, I don't drink ( 30 years sober !) smoke ( now ) I don't get out much! And I have a permanent stomach problem, so don't mention curry!!
So, I suddenly had a mini meltdown, thought f*
them all and have booked a 12 day tour in India, this will use quarter of my savings!
Have I finally lost it ? Should I cancel? I am very very apprehensive!
Lastly, I have holidayed abroad 3 times in 30 years!
I generally trust gn's wisdom!!

Thebeeb Mon 01-Aug-16 22:33:26

Do it. Do it. Do it!!!!! Enjoy and have a brilliant time.

Already looking forward to hearing about your travels.

grannylyn65 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:47:29

I didn't know I wanted to, just thought 'Why Not' after running after everyone else for 30+ years!!

Luckygirl Fri 29-Jul-16 18:17:40

If you want to go on a 12 day trip to India then do it - why ever would you not?

Not my scene personally - I would need to take a suitcase full of Imodium. There is a joke in our family that I get the squits if I go to Wales! - which is very nearby.

silverlining48 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:57:52

Great news, go for it. You will have a wonderful time. I have just booked for Cuba over the winter. We have never gone long haul til this year, there's a lot of world out there to see and having watched the best marigold films have India set in my sights for the future.
We only live once so now is our time. Enjoy.

grannylyn65 Fri 29-Jul-16 13:43:22

Thanks again, seen GP today, ? for travels !

sylviann Tue 19-Jul-16 10:00:20

Your situation sounds similar to mine my son's smoke too much weed I help out if they are in dire need but any thing I say and do is always criticized so much that I've told them if they don't like what I say and do leave me alone I'll survive . Think I'll start s p ending my savings on myself .you have done the right thing as for being insane no way enjoy your holiday .

GrandmaMoira Wed 13-Jul-16 13:12:35

Good for you. I wish I had the nerve to do that.

Grandma2213 Wed 13-Jul-16 03:08:20

Go for it girl!

jenn Tue 12-Jul-16 23:31:42

Do it whilst you can or you will always regret not grabbing the opportunity

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jul-16 19:32:01

Yes. But not very adventurous.

You will feel so pleased with yourself when you get back Grannylyn. It will really give you a boost.

Bellanonna Tue 12-Jul-16 19:17:21

"Only" ? jbf. Sounds lovely !

Jayh Tue 12-Jul-16 19:03:12

Have a lovely trip, Grannyl. I envy your spirit of adventure. ✈️

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jul-16 18:59:50

Seville! (looked in emails)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jul-16 18:57:40

If you don't spend the money, the council will have it off you if you ever need care. Enjoy it.

I'm not as brave as you. I've only got Nice, Vienna and somewhere else that I can't remember, lined up for the rest of this year. Just tiddly trips in comparison to your big adventure.

grannylyn65 Tue 12-Jul-16 17:47:55

Yes, I have a card and booklet in several languages, also got insurance that specifically covers gastroparesis which I was surprised at!
Got tickets fro Glasgow to Heathrow and vv
Almost as dear as the trip !!confused

Diny Tue 12-Jul-16 10:39:57

Whatever you do don't cancel. You have doen enough. It is time to think of yourself, go and enjoy your holiday and have a great time.

grandMattie Mon 11-Jul-16 15:53:50

Go for it. They have already spent their inheritance, esp. your DS... Enjoy and let us know how it went! grin

Elrel Mon 11-Jul-16 14:54:09

There is now a generic form of Immodium available from pharmacies which is cheaper.

m15pjr Mon 11-Jul-16 14:46:03

I lived in India for a while and here is my gratuitous advice for endeavouring to avoid tummy troubles.
1. Please note that the Indian food that is generally served in the UK is noticeably different to the Indian food that is served in India.
2. Do not, under any circumstances, eat the following whilst in India: street food, ice, salads.
3. Only eat freshly cooked, piping hot food, not food that has been lingering around for a while.
4. With regard to drinks, be aware of "bottled" water that may just be tap water that has been decanted into empty plastic bottles and resealed. Accordingly, check the seal on bottled water carefully before imbibling and only prchase such drinks from a reputable source.
5. Trust your judgment when it comes to the cleanliness of eateries. If you have any doubts about the standards of hygiene then move on and do not eat there.
Despite all reasonable precautons you may well fall sick so take medication such as Immodium and Dioralyte with you and also carry loo roll with you.
Enjoy your trip!

Zena510 Mon 11-Jul-16 13:52:22

Good for you ! Do it and have no regrets !

geeljay Mon 11-Jul-16 13:41:32

Go Lynn. Go. And enjoy every minute of the adventure.

chrislou Mon 11-Jul-16 10:48:26

Go for it girl, you deserve it,. Fnd yourself and come back recharged ready to face anything

Bijou Mon 11-Jul-16 10:26:38

On his deathbed, on father said all the things he wished he had done in his life.
After I was widowed I went on several holidays every year now I am 93 crippled with arthritis and am housebound. I feel I did the right thing. Have no savings but son is well off and agrees with me.. Enjoy yourself whilst you are able. Good luck.

Gaggi3 Mon 11-Jul-16 09:37:35

You've done your bit for your family and more. Time for you to enjoy yourself. Have a wonderful time.smile

Sheilasue Mon 11-Jul-16 08:20:00

Go for it you deserve it and have a great time.