Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Daughter went away for two weeks.

(78 Posts)
Melanie Sat 09-Jul-16 10:17:10

I was dismayed when my daughter announced she was going away with her partner for two weeks leaving her two sons home alone. They are 18 and 15. The fifteen year old had just done most of his GCSEs bar one and the older one was working. I couldn't imagine leaving my children alone at that age and was extremely concerned. Their father travels a lot in his work and is barely there but lives about 10 minutes away. I live about 20 minutes away.

I immediately offered to have the younger boy to stay with me offering him full support and promising to run him anywhere he wanted to go. He first said yes and then said no. I think there is a girlfriend in the mix who he was besotted with.

I was on edge the whole time she was away. I thought they were too young and irresponsible to be left for two weeks and considered the 18 year old, young for his age.

When my grandson and his girlfriend split up he was heartbroken and then there was no parent there to comfort him. Then he went to Prom and I thought he looked OK but not as smart as if a mother had got him ready.

When my daughter came back the house was still standing but she had eight loads of their washing to do and the place was a mess.

Is it OK to leave two teenagers of these ages to fend for themselves for two weeks, or is my daughter being neglectful.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jul-16 19:29:28

It will most likely be fine.

Having said that, they are not always quite capable of managing on their own entirely. Only this morning my nearly fifteen year old GS went off at crack of dawn, for a school music trip in France. Dad took him to the school. Luckily DD looked in his room shortly afer they left as there, left lying on the floor, was his performance shirt and trousers! Only the most important part of all his luggage. hmm Cue DD and younger GS hopping in car and rushing to the school with them!

However, if there is nothing big going on in their lives during the time parents are away, I'm sure would be ok.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jul-16 19:31:18

I think, as Candelle says, there is a 'daft teenager' phase. And my GS is definitely in it! (Bless)