Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you spend more on now you're older?

(119 Posts)
threesugars Wed 13-Jul-16 16:36:02

1) Shoes
In the past I'd happily buy any plastic rubbish that (I thought) looked good. Now, I have to be comfy and that usually means spending more.

2) Cleaning/kitchen gadgets
Anything to make my life easier!

3) Insurance
Boring but necessary

4) Cosmetics
Another necessary one grin! A decent face cream etc when before I settled for whatever was on offer.

5) Good seats
At the theatre, occasionally for extra leg room on plane journeys etc. Life is too short -you should try be as comfortable as possible.

What are yours?

Barmyoldbat Thu 14-Jul-16 11:00:15

Agree with Maggiiemaybe on spending. Have everything I need and it works. Most of my clothes are bargains or from charity shops. Also make or make over clothes. Don't feel the need to compete in the dress stakes and don't yearn for the latest in anything. Makeup, well I feel that fresh air is the best product and free! Most of my money goes on travel, charity work abroad and days out on my bike.

peaceatlast Thu 14-Jul-16 11:04:10

First class travel and good hotels.
The garden.
Meeting friends and eating out.

Spending less on wine as less stressed and more fussy than I used to be.

annodomini Thu 14-Jul-16 11:09:08

I also tend to use first class travel though I don't drive now for long journeys, so it's a case of swings and roundabouts. I try to employ a gardener but they keep letting me down. I don't know what has happened to the latest one. Inevitably spend more on shoes than I dd when I was young as they have to be a good fit and of decent quality. What else do I spend money on? Just ask my dentist.

Diddy1 Thu 14-Jul-16 11:23:03

Travelling is my top priority these days, I dont live in the UK any more, but LOVE to visit, as often as the pennies allow.
Helping my Grandchildren out occasionally.
Lunch out, I love more than going out for Dinner.
I love wine these days, I am sure it is good for you!

J52 Thu 14-Jul-16 11:23:31

Some people have mentioned travel. That's one area where we save money ( although added up probably spend more!?)

We always had to go away in school holidays, now we are free to choose the time, there are some amazing deals out there! Sometimes cheaper than staying at home!

Lupin Thu 14-Jul-16 11:24:16

Like so many I indulge the grandchildren. Am not allowed to take sweets, which I remember looking our for when I was a child and visitors came. Hence toys, games and books or just money for them to enjoy spending.
Apart from that I have a weakness for nice clothes, which I look out for in sales ( the thrill of the chase ). So vain!
Another indulgence is piano lessons which I love and had wanted for decades. I learned as a child and had never forgotten how to read music. Have reached Grade 5 now. I'm ridiculously thrilled with that.

Strawberry10 Thu 14-Jul-16 11:25:25

I agree - more shopping, days out and holidays. One thing though - I never pay full price for anything. Having the time to shop the sales and scour the Internet for the best prices and discounts is a major plus.

nannyto5 Thu 14-Jul-16 11:25:50

Going out more, both with my husband and my female friends. ??

Christinefrance Thu 14-Jul-16 11:31:17

Don't go away much due to animals so have comfort at home. Good sofas, big TV
Enjoy lunching out and with friends. Good shoes like everyone else. Don't worry about what others think of my fashion sense just wear the clothes I like.

Sulis Thu 14-Jul-16 11:39:07

Artworkshops! Best quality watercolour paints etc etc etc and my son and his family who struggle.

Elysium Thu 14-Jul-16 11:41:52

Grandchildren.....and it's a real privilege to be with them and have fun. Time will come when they will be too busy for a dodgy old granny like me. wink

jenn Thu 14-Jul-16 11:44:19

Me

lizzypopbottle Thu 14-Jul-16 12:27:08

Books for my kindle. I daren't total up how much I've spent since finishing work! ?

westieyaya Thu 14-Jul-16 12:55:15

For me retirement, downsizing and sadly widowhood have left me comfortably off. So a new, comfortable car ( no clambering out of low seats), decent cosmetics, clothes and shoes. Spoiling grandchildren and making sure children don't go short. Though after a lifetime of having to watch every penny spending is not something I feel totally happy with.

SparklyGrandma Thu 14-Jul-16 13:05:34

I spend more on the comfy things - good cotton bedlinen and comfy pillows, comfy shoes - gone are the days of putting up with painful feet to look good, better food, fresh veg and fruit delivered, comfy clothes and squishy sofa to watch telly on and nice dvd's....lunch out is always now better than later, wine. Sparkly cheap necklaces, making my own dresses because you cant find nice ones for everyday. Presents for the DGDs. Church midday in nearby town, before lunch out. Walking everywhere. Good books, plants for my pots outside, flowers and oh, everything in colours I want. I agree bargains are easier to come by. Sometimes big shops in nearby big town have 20% off on a Tuesday. Meeting old friends I went to school with or worked with for lunch. Bliss.

Christinefrance Thu 14-Jul-16 13:18:51

Forgot the most important thing, books, books and more books.

brenh34 Thu 14-Jul-16 13:20:25

According to our credit card statement, we spend most of our money on food and drink! That's including supermarket shopping, eating out and wine by the case deals.
Also we now stay in minimum 4* hotels, preferably 5*.
Premium economy on flights.
Being able to employ workmen to do jobs that DH no longer wants to do.
Being totally debt free, paying the CC by direct debit each month.

Elisabeth68 Thu 14-Jul-16 13:38:12

Much less well off than all my children; all of whom live either in the USA or Hong Kong. I visit regularly and flights and all expenses when with them funded by them. I do take on some child care and house management, because I cannot just sit around doing nothing!
My much reduced income when at home is spent on Yoga and Pilates classes, a running coach and a council gym membership
Fresh flowers for the house and I am afraid still more shoes!

Sailingnana Thu 14-Jul-16 13:39:22

Grandchildren and holidays smile

gulligranny Thu 14-Jul-16 14:04:17

As others have said - good quality food is a priority and because we are of the generation that knew how to make a good meal from very little, not a lot gets wasted. We enjoy nice wine, lovely holidays a couple of times a year, very good theatre seats, lots of lunches out with friends ... all the things we couldn't afford 30-40 years ago.

patd Thu 14-Jul-16 14:16:44

My dog and cat mostly, and lots of fresh fruit

Legs55 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:21:17

spend lots more on my garden - I moved last year & inherited a very overgrown garden, house had been owned by an elderly gentleman so needs a lot doing to it. Toilet rolls!!! my Mum told me that an elderly lady had told her "you spend more on toilet rolls when you retire" - she was right. On a brighter note I buy the best fresh fruit & veg, meat (steak etc) when I can afford a delivery otherwise I mainly eat chicken & fish. Shopping is done on line for essentials & things I can't buy in my local shop.

I spend a lot more time either in my garden or going for meals with friends so much less time to worry about housework - as I no longer have an untidy husband (passed away over 3 years ago) much less time sorting his mess out!!!grin

Sheilasue Thu 14-Jul-16 14:34:34

Eating out, having a nice glass of wine lunch with my daughter or my husband meeting my family.

inishowen Thu 14-Jul-16 14:39:40

Books - I like to browse in Waterstones then treat myself.
Handbags - Sometimes I find bargains and I often indulge in a new one.
Shoes - yes my feet really need decent shoes.
Yarn - knitting is my hobby, so I will buy whatever yarn I fancy.
Food - Only the best steak, none of your old frying steak.
Meals out - Hubby and I like to go out for breakfast about once a week. It's a change from tea and toast at home.
Heating the house - I don't skimp on it, the whole house is warm.
Plants - I love to buy new plants for indoors and out.
Our cat - she only eats expensive food, the cheap stuff makes her vomit.
The grandchildren - they are the joy of our lives and we buy them lots of treats.

Zena510 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:54:53

-Take advantage of any offers about.
-Definitely fly in comfort.
-Many weekend breaks
- better meat cuts more often
- enjoy life !