Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you spend more on now you're older?

(119 Posts)
threesugars Wed 13-Jul-16 16:36:02

1) Shoes
In the past I'd happily buy any plastic rubbish that (I thought) looked good. Now, I have to be comfy and that usually means spending more.

2) Cleaning/kitchen gadgets
Anything to make my life easier!

3) Insurance
Boring but necessary

4) Cosmetics
Another necessary one grin! A decent face cream etc when before I settled for whatever was on offer.

5) Good seats
At the theatre, occasionally for extra leg room on plane journeys etc. Life is too short -you should try be as comfortable as possible.

What are yours?

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Jul-16 17:24:42

I identify with so much of your post, loopylou. Facebook keeps offering me "my memories", in effect photos of me 2 or 3 years ago when I had a stressful job, and I reckon I looked years older then than I do now! grin

loopylou Wed 20-Jul-16 13:04:20

I definitely have far less to live on now I'm retired, my State Pension doesn't kick in for another 3 years so my small NHS one has to stretch somewhat! I'm not complaining, I made the decision to stop working because I had a constant premonition that I wasn't going to live long enough to enjoy retirement if I carried on being stressed out of my mind ?

However, the bliss of being able to do what I want, spend more time with my very frail, elderly parents and not have to drive in bad weather or dress up for work is incalculable, in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to being available to look after my DGSs, to DH and I taking off for long walks and the occasional night away and, for the first time in years, not being knackered.
I've also realised writing this that my shoulders aren't hunched up around my ears ?and don't feel painfully knotted, bliss!

Irma Wed 20-Jul-16 11:35:58

We spend more on our hobbies (knitting, wood and metal turning and radio controlled models) and the garden, regulars at our fab library, also use Bookbub, daily e-mails with lots of free and cheap books. Regular pedicures, what a joy! We both like gadgets, so have tablets, phones, computers etc. My housework gene went AWOL when I retired, I do still do it, grudgingly!

Anya Tue 19-Jul-16 07:25:20

I, too, find I have less need to,spend these days.

We had a fire last October and lost most of our possessions. When the insurance, eventually, paid out there were many things I didn't bother replacing automatically, apart from essentials such as the washing machine and bedding.

We wait and see what we really miss first. Never replaced the microwave and I doubt we will.

Same with replacing clothes. Have built up,a good basic wardrobe and will only buy more now when needed. Something like a fire makes to look around and think do I really need/want/use that?

absent Tue 19-Jul-16 07:18:00

I don't have more to spend now that I am older.

rubylady Tue 19-Jul-16 06:55:38

Take me away from Ebay! grin

Izabella Mon 18-Jul-16 15:41:01

Juggernaught absolutely no criticism given or implied. Just amazed at the purchasing power others have in retirement. Apologies if my post offended.

Fairydoll2030 Sat 16-Jul-16 22:34:01

Oops....add 'travel'. Probably spend more in that then anything else.

Just need to add that DH and I clocked up 96 working years between us so feel we deserve a bit of indulgence now.

Fairydoll2030 Sat 16-Jul-16 22:31:19

Nice 'luxury' bedding - that stems from spending several weeks in a hospital bed last year

Make up - keep trying and failing to look 20 years younger

Extra leg room on flights

Books

Treebee Sat 16-Jul-16 22:29:06

Moisturising face creams that claim to diminish wrinkles, age spots etc.

Wine and flowers. I could never afford either when bringing up my girls and I love both.

Travel; we've been on several holidays to Canada and once to Australia. Previously our holidays were spent in the Lake District and Devon.

Entertainment. Again, we sometimes saw a band or went to the cinema, but now concerts and films are more accessible. Though many are still beyond the budget or not local enough.

Hair; getting a good cut and colour is necessary and comes more expensive than a quick trim.

Also I buy supplements such as glucosamine and sea buckthorn oil capsules to relieve the 'signs of aging' and they don't come cheap.

Floradora9 Sat 16-Jul-16 21:22:40

I spend more on music these days if I hear something on Classic FM that I like I look on thier website and get it from i tunes . I have a good collection of music now to listen to . I must admit to more spending on wine but we enjoy it . I also am a sucker for Amazon book deals of the day at 99p each . I have about 80 waiting to be read but am keeping them for when I find nothing in the library I want to watch .

Juggernaut Sat 16-Jul-16 11:50:29

Izabella
The thread title is 'What do you spend more on now you're older'.
Therefore I don't quite see why you seem to be criticising those of us who answered the question!

annsixty Sat 16-Jul-16 11:17:52

We have had to resort to taxis charley or we would never get out, although at the moment I can't walk when I get there. We have to use them for medical visits but I think it is probably cheaper than running a car. My kindle spending is also going up but that surely is a necessity not a luxury.smile

Charleygirl Sat 16-Jul-16 11:00:52

I could not bring myself to pay the full price for a hardback- I would either wait until I could download it onto my Kindle or buy it in paperback form. I do buy a lot of books in charity shops and exchange books with friends.

I spend more money on heating now because I hate being cold.

I also like looking for bargains and that includes my 2-3 weekly on line shop.

I have never been a person to hop in a taxi and would never consider doing that now if for some reason I could not drive somewhere.

I enjoy the simple things, 30 minutes outside in my garden with a cup of coffee, newspaper and my cat beside me.

Bellanonna Sat 16-Jul-16 10:39:32

Best theatre seats. I don't go that often and see no reason these days to be uncomfortable. I get a reduction for matinees anyway, being over 60. I would get a taxi to theatre from London terminus if knee was playing up. I don't often buy clothes as I have a wardrobe full. Ditto shoes. Ditto bags.

f77ms Sat 16-Jul-16 10:30:49

Decent shoes is really the only thing I splurge on . I often buy them from Ebay so they are cheaper . Occasionally good makeup but I have a problem spending money on myself which I can`t seem to get over sad

Granny23 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:19:55

Thanx KK I am signed up to the scheme with the chemist near the surgery in wee town but mouth ulcers are not on the list and it is easier for me just to buy anti-h at the supermarket (in another bigger town) during the weekly shop.

My post was, however, not about specifics, just trying to counter a somewhat sarky comment that all healthcare needs are free for over 60s

Kateykrunch Fri 15-Jul-16 16:11:20

Granny23 - do you have a 'Pharmacy First' scheme in your area? Check with your local chemist and you can get certain remedies free of charge (if you no longer pay for percriptions, ie. Age 60 and over). Our area has the scheme and I have obtained my hayfever tablets, eye drops and olive oil ear drops in the last few months). I think the scheme is to aleviate some trivial GP visits (although I would never visit the GP for hayfever, it is nice to not have to pay). The Pharmacy have a list of medications/conditions they can provide for.

Granny23 Fri 15-Jul-16 15:17:10

Gononsuch what are you talking about - Free eye tests led to £400 worth of glasses for us both, Free Hearing Test led to £2000 of hearing aids for DH, Free Prescriptions don't cover mouth ulcer pastilles (=£7.00!), Vit. D tablets, seasonal antihistamines, not to mention chiropody, dentistry, etc.

parker Fri 15-Jul-16 14:33:54

I spend on books as I now have time to read, I can actually buy as many as I want, its brilliant!

parker Fri 15-Jul-16 14:33:07

I spend on books as I now have time to read, Ican actually buy as many as I want, its brilliant!

annsixty Fri 15-Jul-16 12:56:43

I was taken out for afternoon tea yesterday and several people were still finishing lunch. A table near us had 3 couples all of GNers age. Their table was covered with empty wine glasses of different sizes so I thing a good time had been had. This proves a lot of us agree with eating out and eating well. Another party,all ladies came through and I heard one say to the waiter " have you got the diary out for next month? " it would seem to be a regular thing.

Gononsuch Fri 15-Jul-16 12:41:44

..Crun.

What do you spend money on, if you're over 60 its all free,

I remember you when you used to steer tug boats and you were ill then, smile.

Granny23 Fri 15-Jul-16 12:28:36

Lilyflower our post has reminded me of the early days of my retirement, when released from the stresses and strains of working life, I had boundless energy, redecorated the whole house, reconfigured the garden, started writing my (still unfinished) book, redoubled my political activism and charitable work, signed up for modules at the local Uni, crossed Canada on a shoestring, went on a Cruise. A truly Golden time.

Then there was a complete change as both daughters moved from the city to nearby and presented us with 3 DGC in 3 years. Our lives became very busy with childminding, helping renovate their cottages and gardens, shared holidays - another exhausting but wonderful time until....

2.5 years ago DH had an accident, was recovering and then had a total breakdown/collapse so our lives changed dramatically again. My three different phases of retirement (so far) are reflected in various responses to the question posed in this thread. Another example of how you cannot lump all retirees together when their ages, finances, health and circumstances are as variable as those of the working population. Makes for a very interesting thread.

Lilyflower Fri 15-Jul-16 06:52:50

Since I retired have stopped spending money on work related items like clothes and Diesel and no longer need a cleaner or someone to do the ironing as I do it all myself. I have time to source bargain goods online and now bulk buy when things are on offer. I buy good coffee, Prosecco, shower gel, shampoo etc. for bargain basement prices. (Yesterday I bought 12 tubes of toothpaste for half price.) I also pursue cheap amusements like walking, baking and reading. The DH likes the cakes so much that he has often eschewed the freebie teas I have got tokens for in favour of coming home to have coffee and walnut cake in the garden.

I have spent some saved cash on having two areas of the garden that I can no longer manage myself lawned and landscaped so that all I have to do is put stripes on the lawn with the self propelled mower and sit back and enjoy it. I even do the decorating myself these days.

I have found that planning ahead for meals and shopping online saves cash but I do an actual shop 'sweep' to pick up the knocky- downy bargains in the fancy food aisles so that we live like kings and pay like beggars.