Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Head lice

(6 Posts)
jusnoneed Mon 08-Aug-16 18:19:45

I always used Conditioner (found the special products sold were not very effective) method when my son had the little blighters. Plaster it thickly onto hair and leave for 5 mins or so, then using nit comb keep going going through it. You will be amazed at how many you collect if you wipe comb on a piece of kitchen paper! Then wash hair as normal. Repeat after a few days in case any eggs were left. Makes their hair lovely too, bonus.

BBbevan Mon 08-Aug-16 17:29:58

Look behind her ears and the nape of her neck. If she is fair you will see the dark nits attached to the hair. If you see an adult catch on a bit of sellotape. Use loads of conditioner when washing her hair and as Lullydully says Teetree lotion is good

Nelliemoser Mon 08-Aug-16 16:45:43

Brush her hair firmly over spread out newspaper and you should be able to see the head lice as they fall onto the paper. You will soon know.

Any pharmacist should be able to recommend the current product. Another rite of passage.

I am wondering when my DGS's might get them . Primary school seems the most likely place.

LullyDully Mon 08-Aug-16 16:40:31

Holidays a good time to get rid of them before next term

LullyDully Mon 08-Aug-16 16:40:02

You have to use neat conditioner and be thorough with the nit comb. Use teetree shampoo, or ask the chemist.

Apple10 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:02:30

I have a strong suspicion my 7 year old Grandchild has head lice. I can barely see white specks in her hair. She has started itching her head and has a rash on her neck and behind her ears. Do Grans know of any remedy that is effective?