Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What/who to tell about DH's Dementia.

(41 Posts)
Granny23 Thu 18-Aug-16 22:39:37

After two years of non-committal and vague comments from the Consultant and our GP it appears that we are edging towards a diagnosis of Vascular Dementia. One of the difficulties I have faced is trying to gloss over or explain away DH's puzzling, increasingly odd, (sometimes downright rude) behaviour with neighbours, old friends and acquaintances, by either ignoring it or simply saying he is tired, in a bad mood, still suffering the effects of his accident, because I felt I had no right to stick a label on him or talk about him behind his back. This week we have had some tradesmen doing bits and bobs of maintenance in the house - all old friends that DH used to work with regularly before he retired and it was obvious that they were taken aback by DH's failure to engage in conversation with them, disappearing and leaving me to explain what needed done and expressing surprise that he had not tackled the jobs himself because he looks so fit and well. Another problem is turning down invitations when DH will not go, nor can he be safely left 'home alone' so that I can go on my own.

Now that a diagnosis is imminent, I am still at a loss as to how to tackle the subject with people outwith the close family circle. DH would never admit to any 'weakness' on his part, so there is no way that he would tell anyone himself. Should I continue to dissemble or should I tell people on the QT? Would it be OK to tell a few key people and ask them to let others know? Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Stansgran Fri 19-Aug-16 11:40:03

flowers for all you brave souls

Luckygirl Fri 19-Aug-16 12:37:11

It is definitely the little things that are problematical - and that others notice and don't quite know how to react. My poor OH is trying very hard to organise all his tablets for the holiday and is getting in a bit of a pickle. I do not like to interfere, but it is critical that he takes the right ones with him and in sufficient quantity. The need to respect his autonomy has to be balanced against the outcome of not having the right tablets with him. It's a subtle balance to be sure.

M0nica Fri 19-Aug-16 19:37:05

My sympathy Granny23. My grandmother had vascular dementia and for six years I was responsible for an aunt and uncle who both had it.

But I am puzzled why you think that having a diagnosis for your DH's problems means fixing a 'label' on him. Would you feel the same if he had been given a diagnosis of cancer or motor neurone disease?

My feeling is that it is always best to be upfront with people and tell them that your DH is developing memory problems and could have dementia. That way, people close to you, whether family, friends,tradesmen or the lady in the post office will understand and make allowances for him and also let you know if he does or has to be discouraged from doing something that may lead to him harming himself. Many people in the early stages of dementia can look and sound rational when actually their thought processes are muddled.

Granny23 Sat 20-Aug-16 13:17:30

I cannot thank you all enough for your best wishes and insights which have shown me that it is best to be open and up-front about DH's illness. We have had the 'conversation' and he does understand what is happening to him, has said that it is me he feels sorry for as I have had to shelf many of my own interests in order to undertake all the household tasks he used to do and to keep him company 24/7. He has also very reluctantly accepted that he will have to stop driving (but not yet!) For himself, he is happy as long as I am there and enjoys long chats about times past, his favourite home made food, our cat, sitting in (but not working in) our garden. He loves a good joke or funny story and with his memory loss, I can recycle old ones and he enjoys them afresh every time. grin

When DH was 17 and an apprentice joiner in his Grandfather's firm he contracted Polio and was left with a pretty useless left arm and missing muscles in both hands and shoulders. He returned to work, a 7 stone weakling, and suffered many unkind comments from his fellow workers and customers (was called a spastic and worse.) He could no longer swim or play tennis, lost many friends and his girlfriend, so took up drumming as therapy and has been playing in various bands continuously ever since, occasionally attracting comment because his style is very different from most drummers. Similarly, he was a successful joiner, using his ingenuity to overcome difficulties. Hence his objection to 'labels' such as disabled, deaf, polio survivor etc. and reluctance to be seen in public with a zimmer or wheelchair after his accident.

Annsixty I understand why you question your DH having Alzheimers rather than Vascular dementia as being a good thing. I know that this diagnoses means that our path will be shorter and steeper than yours which makes it easier to commit to making these years as sweet and happy for DH as I possibly can.

kittylester Sat 20-Aug-16 14:06:07

What lovely post G23! flowersy

I presume that you have applied for all the benefits and assistance that is available?

Liz46 Sat 20-Aug-16 14:14:20

Luckygirl, my friend had dementia and diabetes. She needed to take several different pills and her husband got the pharmacy to make up a 'pack' day by day in the order she needed to take them. I can't remember all the details but can ask if you want.

Granny23 Sat 20-Aug-16 14:30:20

No - no benefits or assistance because of the prevarication with a diagnosis. Officially, DH merely has MCP (mild cognitive impairment) according to the Consultant's report. We were not sent this report but the GP was and gave us a copy. Apparently the Consultant told DH this during the consultation but as I had been 'pit oot' for the sin of 'prompting DH', I was not party to this or anything else that was said. DH, of course, could remember nothing of what was said, except that Consultant had told him he 'passed' the memory test. According to the report he scored 14/26 in the memory part of the Cognitive Testing tho' better in the other sections. Problem is that currently there is a vacancy

Granny23 Sat 20-Aug-16 14:43:51

Hit Post too soon!

a Vacancy for a Mental Health Team for Older Adults such that DH was seen by a Locum this year and a different Locum last year - who diagnosed PTSD!. GP has now taken the matter in hand, made a provisional diagnosis and will write to Consultant with background information and involve CPN service.

M0nica Sun 21-Aug-16 19:47:07

After looking after relatives with vascular dementia I have always said, that if I had dementia that is what I would choose.

I have worked with people with Alzheimers and the thing that makes the difference to me is that patients with Alzheimers seem to lose their personalities completely and cease to be the person they were, unrecognisable and unrecognising. It is distressing often for the patient and certainly for their family.

My aunt and uncle with vascular dementia never lost their inherent personality. My uncle completely lost his short and long term memory. All we could talk about when I visited him towards the end was what we could see in the garden, through the window and what was in the room, but he would then talk rationally and was inherently the person he had always been, very courteous and curious. My aunt, although more prone to moments of confusion was the same. She had always been a very sociable person and always greeted me delightedly when I appeared, even if I had to remind her who I was, and she always offered me tea or coffee, although she had no idea where the coffee station was.

Granny23 Sun 21-Aug-16 21:52:42

Thank you for that Monica DH has indeed remained as loving and lovable as ever. He still recognises and welcomes close family and friends but often forgets names so we all get called sweetheart, wee one or pal.

HG15 Mon 22-Aug-16 11:32:14

Granny 23, do take care of yourself. Easier to say than do. I am in a similar position to you. My heart goes out to you and to all those who care for loved ones with any form of dementia. Everybody around us, and there are many, know about my husband's diagnosis. A few can't cope and have gone under cover. The majority have been as fantastic as I expect they would have been if he had cancer or a broken leg. If people don't know or only know half the story they can't support you. My husband is a private person, but he is content for people to know. He is much loved.

annsixty Mon 22-Aug-16 11:48:57

I feel quite sad reading these comments as my H has had a complete change of character/personality and that is so upsetting and very hard to come to terms with. He is not the man I married. He is cantankerous and argumentative and not a loveable man at all. I have said before if I met him now we would not have got beyond a first date, It is my duty to look after him but increasingly hard to do with good grace.

Anya Mon 22-Aug-16 12:12:58

Oh Ann that is so sad and it must be very, very difficult.

kittylester Mon 22-Aug-16 13:33:37

I agree with Anya, ann and I do feel for you and wish we could actually do more. wine

I assume you and G23 are receiving (or are applying for) Attendance Allowance which is NOT income dependent. If you haven't applied for it please ask AgeUk for help applying. They have volunteers who are training in using the right 'buzzwords' when applying.

It is worth over £80 per week at the highest level.

M0nica Mon 22-Aug-16 14:34:22

annsixty I do feel for your plight, as I said in a previous post I think those dealing with family member's with Alzheimers have the hardest row to hoe.

We were told, back in the late 1960s that my grandmother had vascular dementia, but with the greater knowledge I have now I think it was far more likely to be Alzheimers. The greatest sorrow to her daughter who devoted herself to her mother was that her mother had disappeared to be replaced by someone who didn't know who she was, who ceased to be the person she had been and was lost sad and alone in a world no-one could enter.