Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The best of times...the worst of times..

(40 Posts)
ariana6 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:46:55

What was your best time and what was the worst time in your life?

For me, the best time was being 19 and in the army, travelling, working, career focused, young and footloose!
The worst time, losing my parents several years later and coping at the same time with an imploding marriage that couldn't be retrieved.
What are yours ?

Willow500 Mon 22-Aug-16 13:28:28

Isn't it strange how the bad times seem to come to mind easier than the good sad There have been a lot of happy times thankfully - perhaps the best times in our 30's when the children were independent and we moved to this house. Also both our son's weddings but especially the younger ones as it was a real rock and roll weekend of fun and amazing people. The worst times the closure of our business and near breakdown of my husband and also the 4 years of illness and caring for our parents. I think my husband would say his bad times never really got better - he feels we have nothing in life to look forward to now! Hugs to all of you who have been through such tragic times - ours pale into insignificance to those flowers

aquagran Mon 22-Aug-16 11:38:44

Swanny Same for me, only my daughter and her baby boy. Still worry all the time!

Granarchist Mon 22-Aug-16 09:06:42

Best - 3 DD's wedding days plus an amazing hour or two on the verandah of a tree house on the holiday of a lifetime - Botswana's Okavango Delta - no roads, no vehicles, no artificial lights - just the sounds of Africa. Whenever I have to have my BP taken, I go back to that moment.

Worst - being told DD had anorexia and bulimia - or when OH (having remortaged our home) went bust less than 6 months later.

But DD fine now - and way beyond retirement age, we should pay off that mortgage in 2018 - so working til we drop.

loopylou Mon 22-Aug-16 08:28:49

So many bittersweet memories on here, {{hugs}} and ? to you all.

Happiest times include having my wonderful DCs and a lovely DDIL and now two fabulous DGSs. Giving up work two months ago ?

Less so happy times is years of stress from being the main breadwinner and responsibility for virtually everything, my DPs both becoming increasingly frail and reliant on me (eldest and 'Because you're a nurse you can do it, your sisters aren't as capable' ??)'

Cath9 Sun 21-Aug-16 21:50:45

BEST: The enjoyment of playing around in my grandparent's farm and big Georgian house. The dancing on Saturday nights at my father's hotel.Spending six months in Spain when on an exchange visit. My wedding day. Seeing our first grandchild, then the second one. Our holiday in NZ.
WORST:
Experiencing 5 medical tests that are now down under anesthetic. Having to leave a school where I was happy due to my condition. Being awake while having a major operation that took 8hrs. Finding my husband dead in bed when he was still young, also having to find a property after he died.

Alishka Sun 21-Aug-16 21:21:27

Aww, sugar -you're so sweet smile

I'm so blessed. I moved here 2 years ago, into a bungalow already adapted for the previous disabled owner. And now, hey presto! All those aids and grab rails and so on are SO useful! And my new neighbour's are kind and funny and helpful.
My family live on another continent but we're in almost daily contact, thanks to the Internet. No money worries as such and here in Birmingham disabled seniors are well catered for. We have a ring&pride service -£1 a trip door to door and the drivers come to collect you and give you a helping arm to the bus and even carry your shopping into the kitchen for you. Gosh, I even bought a palm tree type plant the other week and the driver obligingly brought it through and put it on my terrace! How good is that!
No, all in all, when I go to bed, I've no need to count sheep, I count blessings ( cue old song wink) it's just that last October I was still driving, still running my own business and this move was supposed to be for my future. I'd no idea then that my future is now

Penstemmon Sun 21-Aug-16 20:53:20

Worst Loss of parents in their 60s, marriage collapse & fighting to save it, brother's mental health, suicide attempts & prison sentence
Best happy childhood, happy family life, rewarding career, rescued marriage, great friends& extended family, gorgeous children and grandchildren all living close by

on balance more on the best list than the worst though of course I wish the worst had not happened!

Sugarpufffairy Sun 21-Aug-16 20:47:30

Alishka - it is so hard to look back at a life you used to have but new you have a different life. I am not too keen on the way I live now. At least I am still alive despite illnesses and hoping for a bit more improvement yet.
Another boring thing is that I do not drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes and it seems to make people wonder about me. I just got some brains at long last
Hope you have some OK times too

Alishka Sun 21-Aug-16 20:12:50

Childhood and adolescent was ok, but the best started when I was 22 and went to live my life my way abroad, where I lived for years. Only regret was that I didn't keep a diary during those years..wonderful times in all...
Worst of times is nowsad
Overall, tho, I've lived a charmed life, guess my 'now' is the gods' payback time? But it could be worst...got wine, got flowers got sunshine got the moon. Sunday's I can even have roastchicken]
Mustn't grumble - tho sometimes I do grin

Sugarpufffairy Sun 21-Aug-16 18:16:14

Best was my childhood. I was not a spoiled child but I did have a good life with loving parents and grandparents and other relatives.
I was absolutely stunned when I met DH and remain so even though he died.
I was happy when I had my DCs but it is not so good mow, very difficult.
Worst was when the last of my DPs died. This was the last of the people who made my younger life so good. DH was already dead, so this was the end of me having someone I could depend on no matter what.
Anyway must carry on doing my best to make my life worthwhile.

hulahoop Sat 20-Aug-16 22:23:02

Best times getting married births of children
Worst being told I had cancer

Deedaa Sat 20-Aug-16 21:27:08

The best times were when I was at Art School ( luckily I realised at the time that I was never going to have so much freedom to do what I wanted again) The other best time was working in a theatre where we all just had such fun.

The worst time was the day my father died because it was so unexpected and we thought he was getting better.

Alima Sat 20-Aug-16 21:03:29

The best of times were the mid seventies, I was in the Wrens, met DH to be, brilliant friends, they were wonderful carefree times. The worst of times began 4 months ago with a terminal diagnosis for DH.

grannylyn65 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:55:04

Worst, seeing son in prison cell or being told I had cancer.
Best? still hoping!!

KatyK Sat 20-Aug-16 15:38:05

Oh yes Teetime the childhood! What a nightmare that was.

Teetime Sat 20-Aug-16 15:01:52

The best was qualifying as a nurse in 1982 and some of the subsequent career worst of times - my childhood nuff said!!

Greyduster Sat 20-Aug-16 12:24:52

The best of times - when my daughter was born and I finally found the confidence to be the person, wife and mother I am today. The worst - sitting with my son at his darling wife's bedside as she passed away. I would have given my own life to save him having to go through that.

kittylester Sat 20-Aug-16 11:59:55

Thank you Harri. I echo that sentiment and especially for you.flowers

I didn't mean to ignore other people's problems and sad times but realised I may have left the impression that DS died and, despite my prayer when we first saw him 'tubed up', i am eternally thankful. And i could cheerfully strangle his wife.

Christinefrance Sat 20-Aug-16 11:59:14

The worst seeing son in law die from cancer leaving two small children.

Best times births of my children. Now is a good time too despite aging problems. Love living here in rural France with husband and animals.

Swanny Sat 20-Aug-16 11:32:29

Best - seeing the indescribable love and happiness on my DS's face when his own DS was born

Worst - three and a half years later, seeing the same indescribable love but now mixed with sadness when his DS was diagnosed with being on the Autism Spectrum

Jane10 Sat 20-Aug-16 11:14:12

flowers*kittylester*.

harrigran Sat 20-Aug-16 11:13:13

kitty and all Gnetters who have had difficulties and sad times flowers

kittylester Sat 20-Aug-16 10:49:44

I should point out maybe that DS1 didn't due of his stroke but I did once pray (?) that he would. sad

His wife brought him home tp us and then buggered off back to Japan never to be seen again. He is coping wonderfully well with life with a disability but I would not like to live through that 2/3 year period again.

KatyK Sat 20-Aug-16 10:39:13

Best time when my DD was born. Many family bad times but the worst when my brother died aged 24 and my nephew died age 16.

gettingonabit Sat 20-Aug-16 10:01:16

I think my best was in the early to mid 90s when I was (relatively) happy at work, with plenty of money, in a good relationship and travelling around the world.

Second best-being at home with dd when she was a baby.

Worst-now. Imploding relationship, limited work opportunities, no remaining family, uncertain future. Could be so much worse, though. I feel I've been fortunate on the whole.