Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Holidaying with my daughter, son in law and 2 and half year old grandsons

(108 Posts)
londongirl57 Fri 02-Sep-16 08:47:30

My daughter has asked me to go away on a family holiday next year in a family filled kids friendly hotel in Spain. My dilemma is that I've been there and done that and now go on adult only holidays to free myself from all of that I had to do when my children were very young. I can't imagine spending £650 for a weeks holiday only to be surrounded by the very thing I hate most.(screaming kids) Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my daughter and my grandsons and see them most weeks as we live 50 miles apart. But somehow my daughter has made me feel guilty for saying no and told me that she will now ask the other grandmother if she wants to go.

Am I in the wrong for putting myself first and not wanting to go?

I really would welcome your views.

Thanks

trisher Sat 03-Sep-16 17:59:40

It was the constant drinking that got to me- I like a glass of wine but this was from 10 or 11 in the morning. I only spent one full day in the hotel but watching and listening ( some of the language was appalling, and used in front of children) I just couldn't believe what went on. One evening a couple of the men had a huge argument and almost came to blows. In actual fact it wasn't the children who were to blame really but the irresponsible adults. As I said it was really really cheap so maybe that was one of the factors. Just made me very reluctant to ever go AI again.

Penstemmon Sat 03-Sep-16 18:49:13

Whilst I find it hard to appreciate posters who say they have had their turn to bring up kids so they don't want to look after their grandchildren I appreciate that we all have views on what makes a good holiday!

We have had lovely holidays in cottages/centerparcs/ villas with our DCs and the DGC when we do some things together but also have separate time. I agree a 'family hotel' would not be my choice..even as a parent!!

Wobblybits Sat 03-Sep-16 19:35:56

WE are hooked on Warners Adult only holidays, 4 so far this year. HOWEVER !!!! I'm thinking, what have I done ?, just booked a holiday at Potters for our whole family including the four GC next year for our golden wedding. Will we survive to 51 years?.

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Sep-16 19:41:46

I'm sure you'll have a great time, Wobblybits! We're taking our lot (8 adults, 3 gorgeous grandsons who'll be 4, 3 and 2) to Center Parcs in May to celebrate our Ruby wedding, and I'm really looking forward to it!

BBbevan Sat 03-Sep-16 19:50:03

It will be magical*Wobbly. We took our GDs, their parents and my daughter and her husband on a cruise for our 50th. We all enjoyed it so much. Eldest GD ( 9yrs ) did mention the Titanic a lot, but that just added to the wonderful memories.
Much better than a holiday with a load of oldies grin

Wobblybits Sat 03-Sep-16 19:56:25

We are looking forward to it, but I might book a month at Warners to recover afterwards.
Our children live quite a way apart, so the GC don't get together that often, but they do get on well together, even if a tad loud.

TwiceAsNice Sat 03-Sep-16 23:18:58

I've just come back from a fortnights holiday in Greece with DD1 SIL twin grand-daughters aged 7 and DD2 who is single. We had 3 rooms and the grandchildren took it in turns to sleep in everyone's room. There were plenty of other children there but it was well organised (Neilson) We spent a lot of time together but had some space apart doing different things as well . It was lovely. I'm going in a self catering holiday flat in France with them all in October and we have done this for the last 3 years and had a great time. I'm divorced and have also had separate holidays with friends but loved the holidays with my children and do not feel taken advantage of but a welcome member of the family. I see it as making great memories, grandchildren grow up far too quickly. Each to their own but I love it.