Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Request from Grandson Age 6.

(36 Posts)
hildajenniJ Tue 06-Sep-16 17:09:35

It's about yarn really.
My 6 yr. old GS has outgrown his favourite Granny crocheted sweater. He has requested that I make him a new one in red. That's all very well, but he wants it in a gradient from light to dark. I've looked on eBay and Etsy and can only find hand dyed yarn which is ridiculously expensive (he's a tall boy). He won't accept any other colour as he has autism, and is going through a red phase!
Do any of you knitters or crocheters know where I might purchase such yarn at a reasonable price.
Thank you. ?

Rabbitgran Wed 07-Sep-16 11:42:42

Kemps Wool Shop (on-line) has some good clearance wools, really good value.

angsw Wed 07-Sep-16 11:48:51

Dear HildaJ, what a lovely granny you are.

Having been part of sp needs life for years I know many people, including family, don't take issues related to autism seriously or kindly. Lots,of love to you x

pollyperkins Wed 07-Sep-16 12:11:13

Ok thanks for advice re shirt tear - will investigate.

Craftycat Wed 07-Sep-16 12:18:13

Have you tried Hobbycraft? They have a very good range of wool- well our local one does anyway & it's reasonably priced ( unlike a lot of their stuff!)

Direne3 Wed 07-Sep-16 12:38:44

Can relate to your problem (2x autistic GC). Have you considered dyeing yourself - starting with white wool & deep red mixture and thinning same as you progress through shades (if you see what I mean).

Elrel Wed 07-Sep-16 13:10:41

Recently I've seen several very cool (adult) dudes rocking scarlet trainers!!

Gangang Wed 07-Sep-16 17:27:26

Try www.modernknitting.co.uk

Maywalk Wed 07-Sep-16 17:56:37

Why not go into the website given that shows all the different reds and let your grandson pick his own colours?

Kittycat Wed 07-Sep-16 19:12:21

A few years ago my son (now 22 with Aspergers Syndrome) desperately wanted red trainers-like those sonic the hedgehog wears. I managed to get him some ladies ones from Ambrose Wilson mail order. He was really pleased but has never worn them!

Elrel- I have seen them about too! But he will only wear white ones now.

hildajenniJ Wed 07-Sep-16 19:59:06

Think I've cracked it ladies. I've found some Style craft self striping chunky wool, I think it's called Trinidad. I think he'll like it. He wants me to make a sweater for his teddy bear too. I'm going to email the link to my DD so she can show him. I've also found a really good pattern which I have downloaded. Now I just have to wait for the go ahead.
Thank you everyone.