Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Jigsaw boards

(9 Posts)
kittylester Thu 08-Sep-16 17:00:36

I had a super day with the DGC yesterday doing a fairly hard (for them, and me!) jigsaw that I thought I might like to start doing them at home. I would need to do it on the dining table and be able to clear it away.

Comments on various sorts of boards/rolls would be great, please and thank you!!

hulahoop Thu 08-Sep-16 17:11:08

You can get roll up jigsaw mats from places like THE WORKS I use one and find it ok occasionally pieces move but if you roll it tight it and unroll it carefully usually stays intact .

Swanny Thu 08-Sep-16 17:22:09

Kitty I have a board which slides under the bed when my DGS visits as he likes to grab fistfuls of pieces and throw them in the air! I bought the board from The Works and it cost about £20. It is big enough for 1000-piece jigsaws and opens out to twice that size. You do the jigsaw on the middle section, then fold over the two sides to close it. There are 2 separate sections which sit on top of the main piece when closed and can be used for sorting pieces ready for placing.

Mine fastens with velcro and I have seen a very similar board which zips round 3 sides. I love doing jigsaws, especially in the winter months when I can't get into the garden. Good luck smile

shysal Thu 08-Sep-16 17:24:30

I used to do respite fostering of a young adult with special needs. She was jigsaw mad, and would do them by feel without the picture, often making them upside down! She was reluctant to break up any that she had done, so her family used large sheets of hardboard for the assembly, which were covered with another sheet and stored under her bed. This worked better than the roll I tried at one time.

Maggiemaybe Thu 08-Sep-16 22:27:17

I just bought very cheap cork noticeboards for two big jigsaws I worked on last year. I had the rather fanciful idea that I would somehow display them at Christmas (they are pictures of upstairs and downstairs on Christmas Day). I couldn't work out how to do it in the end so they are both residing under the sofa at the moment gathering dust, one missing its last piece sad

ninathenana Thu 08-Sep-16 22:34:09

I wouldn't recommend the rolls. I had one but wasn't impressed.
I have the type Swanny describes. It's great and can even be stored vertically mid puzzle.

Swanny Thu 08-Sep-16 22:54:11

Maggie We stuck one on a small coffee table years ago by covering the finished jigsaw with clingfilm and sliding it onto a board. The next step was to invert it all and remove the board, before covering the table top with glue. After carefully positioning the table upside down on top of the back side of the jigsaw, we turned the whole lot over and stood back to admire it grin It did look good and lasted through a few house moves but we never tried it again!

Alternatively you could pick up one piece at a time from the completed jigsaw and stick a dob of glue on the back before putting it back in place ...

Maggiemaybe Fri 09-Sep-16 14:28:50

Good idea re the clingfilm, Swanny. The cogs are working now - I'll have those puzzles on display this Christmas, come what may (and missing piece or not - there's a lot of them, so maybe noone will notice!).

GrandmaMoira Sat 10-Sep-16 10:36:09

I bought a puzzle board from Amazon. You do the puzzle on it and it has flaps either side to put over when you want to move it. If you don't need to move it, you use the side pieces for sorting. It works well, the only problem is that I did it on the coffee table and it was too low and quite uncomfortable after a while.