Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Coping with chauvinism

(77 Posts)
QuirkySand Fri 09-Sep-16 01:46:27

I just wonder how other mature ladies cope with chauvinism please? I am in a team of five and the only female. Three men are over 60 and 1 is 50. I am coming up against what I think is blatant chauvinism. So far I have not really responded, just tried to let it go over my head. However, today I was asked to take a photo of the team to go into the local paper which meant I was, not for the first time, excluded. Is this only insulting if I let be? I took the photo and turned the situation into a joke, but actually I felt rather hurt. Part of me says "walk away" but the other part says " like hell". I am interested in how you ladies would respond. Thanks.

GadaboutGran Mon 12-Sep-16 09:43:38

As the first woman it sounds ike you are being expected to shake things up without any support & you need allies when challefing aware & unaware dinosaurs. I suspect they think that by admitting women they think they have become equal without doing more. I note you think you want to ne accepted by them so perhaps make a start by changing that & acting as if (even if you don't yet fee it) you are an equal & don't need to be accepted anymore than they need to be accepted by you. There clearly needs to be a change in the institutional policies & practices & you need evolution or, with a few brave women, revoution.