Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice re driving licence and son moving out please!

(8 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Sat 17-Sep-16 10:52:16

My son has recently graduated and got a new job over 3 hours drive away from where we live. He is having to take accommodation as a lodger as renting a flat is way above what he could afford (it is just outside London) so his address down there will be temporary at the moment. (Contracts are for about 6 months max, the family he is going to be living with are having a new baby and he will have to move on when they need the room back). He wants to get his first car, so does he have to get the address on his driving licence changed or can it remain as his home address with us? He may have to get it changed every six months if not, is this right? Any advice please? (On driving or moving out!) thanks.

Wobblybits Sat 17-Sep-16 11:15:18

Not sure of the legal aspect, but our son left his address the same until he settled down. We just posted anything important on to him.

Luckygirl Sat 17-Sep-16 11:18:54

Changing the address is easy and very quick - I have just done it and the licence was back by return. Legally he has to give his current address.

Wobblybits Sat 17-Sep-16 11:34:52

Yes it is an offence not to change, and it can be done on line. The problem we had was that our son did not have any permanent address for a few months, he moved from friend to friend. The DVLA say it could take up to 3 weeks for your new licence to arrive, he would have moved on by then !!

Nonnie Sat 17-Sep-16 11:51:24

I changed the address for my car and the new document said it had 2 owners Mrs Nonnie was the first and Mrs Nonnie was the second! No, I didn't bother them with it, intended to keep the car so long it wouldn't matter. Still got it years later.

annsixty Sun 18-Sep-16 08:54:42

It is illegal, with a large fine not to notify a change of address.

kittylester Sun 18-Sep-16 11:27:28

The insurance might be considerably cheaper though! wink

When DD2 was being moved around by her company in her role as a trouble shooter, she was only in one place for a month or so at a time and didn't change.

Ana Sun 18-Sep-16 11:33:00

That's a point, about insurance. If someone moved temporarily to a place with a high crime rate his or her current car insurance might not pay out on a claim if they hadn't been informed of the move. In fact they may not be covered at all.