Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Roast weighs lesss than stated on label.

(15 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:59:32

This is going to sound petty but I'm asking just out of interest.

There is only dh and myself for dinner today so it's just a small 1kg pork loin roast. The kitchen scales were on the worktop and I don't really know why, but I popped the meat onto the scales. It weighed 948 grams.
Just wondering is there a 'give or take' when it comes to the weight marked on the packaging.

Grannyknot Sun 18-Sep-16 15:04:35

Hi coolgran - I suppose it depends - is it one of those pre-prepared read-to-cook roasts that is bought in a tinfoil pan? Or was it weighed out on its own e.g. at a meat counter?

Either way, I'd photograph the "evidence" (label plus weight on the scale) and have a chat to the store manager.

Coolgran65 Sun 18-Sep-16 15:22:03

It's not in a tinfoil pan ready to cook, but was similar, i.e. in a plastic wrapped sealed tray, marked at 1kg and priced.
From one of the major supermarkets. Not weighed on its own at the meat counter.

I'd have thought that in the interest of keeping the customer happy if it can't be exact then it certainly shouldn't be underweight.

I've done as you suggested and photographed the joint on the scales to include the marked weight and also the supermarket packaging sitting beside it.

Just not sure if I'd be embarrassing myself by taking it to Customer Service.

Especially as (a few months ago) I made a complaint about being kept waiting 30 minutes when collecting my 'click & collect' order - and I was given a £20 voucher.

Grannyknot Sun 18-Sep-16 15:27:16

coolgran I wouldn't worry about feeling embarrassed, present it as giving valuable feedback smile Anyway I agree with you, it should be as it says "on the tin".

You've reminded me now, years ago when my children were little, they were on the back seat of the car and I was driving, en route to a shop to return something. They must have heard an earlier conversation where I expressed some doubt as to whether I would get a refund. So the conversation on the back seat went like this:

Child 1: Do you think we'll get our money back? grin
Child 2: Don't forget who they're dealing with grin grin

Coolgran65 Sun 18-Sep-16 15:36:07

Grannyknot clearly you are a force to be reckoned with.
Love it.

Ana Sun 18-Sep-16 15:41:01

Just check that your own scales are accurate before you confront the manager, Coolgran!

Ana Sun 18-Sep-16 15:42:11

Although I suppose you'll have eaten the evidence by then...

Cold Sun 18-Sep-16 17:56:19

Was there any liquid/blood etc that you tipped away before weighing?

BlueBelle Sun 18-Sep-16 18:22:30

That's exactly what I thought was it weighed as it was bought or after you had taken it out of its wrapping

Coolgran65 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:12:02

I weighed it out of the wrapping but assumed the weight label would be the weight of the meat, not including packaging. No blood/liquid of any worth.

Yes, we've eaten the evidence and very nice it was.

My own scales are perfect, I use them for eBay postage and they are exact as compared with the Post Office.

OK --- I hauled the plastic tray out of the bin and weighed it, it is 42 grams. Which takes meat + packaging up to nearer the 1kg.

However, we now have the general question.
(lighthearted wink )
What should we expect the weight label mean ??
Is it the food alone.
Or is it the food plus packaging.

Grannyknot Sun 18-Sep-16 19:54:03

If I buy a joint labelled 1kg, I would expect that to be the weight of the meat (content).

Wobblybits Sun 18-Sep-16 20:13:10

You do need to check your scales, 52 grams short of 1000g is only an error of 5.2%, domestic scales would not be better than 5% accurate.

Coolgran65 Sun 18-Sep-16 20:36:59

Wobblybits I only know that my packages for posting when weighed at home are exactly the same as when later weighed in the Post Office. So they are 'near enough' for ordinary purposes.

I still believe the item to have been underweight and agree with you Grannyknot that it's the weight of the content that should be as labelled.

glammanana Sun 18-Sep-16 21:27:55

Coolgran,have just asked DS1 who is Manager of well known supermarket and he states it should be the content minus the packaging and he would said he would treat you to some goodies if you took it back to his store and certainly do not be embarressed.

Coolgran65 Sun 18-Sep-16 23:11:36

Thanks glammanana for asking that of your DS1.