Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for breakfast?

(84 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 22-Sep-16 08:23:28

Anyone had breakfast yet? I can't decide - but it will involve eggs.

Think I'll have an espresso in the meantime - decisions, decisions. brew

grannyactivist Thu 22-Sep-16 11:07:03

Eggs for breakfast. Sometimes scrambled with salmon, sometimes with bacon and occasionally poached or boiled. For a rare treat, and because I had it every day for breakfast on holiday and I'm not ready to give it up, I have a huge watermelon that I'm working my way through too. grin

Charleygirl Thu 22-Sep-16 12:48:03

The same every day of the year- two slices of wholemeal toast with butter, marmalade and a mug of coffee. I eat this when I am hungry not any specific time.

miep Thu 22-Sep-16 12:56:22

Lots of strong coffee, 2 slices of whichever bread is open, with butter and marmite. No specific time, just when I'm hungry, like now!

Stansgran Thu 22-Sep-16 13:03:45

Tricia make your own muesli. GreyDuster buy pruneaux d'agen and soak them in brandy to have post pyramid ally??post prandially.[ Stupid ignorant ipad. I love it really.]

Stansgran Thu 22-Sep-16 13:06:39

www.realfoods.co.uk/article/how-to-make-muesli

Elegran Thu 22-Sep-16 13:24:02

Tescos sell one with no added sugar, so do Sainsburys. Both are very good, and you can add extra fresh fruit to them if you like. I mix together a bag of sugarless and a bag of berry granola and put it into a tall Tupperware container. That is my breakfast, with homemade Greek yoghurt/honey. Sometimes I use fruit juice instead of the yoghurt. It makes it completely different.

Greyduster Thu 22-Sep-16 13:39:26

stansgran! shock. Can you eat them with Weetabix? Could I skip the Weetabix and just have the prunes in brandy? Does it count as one of my five a day? smile.

Jane10 Thu 22-Sep-16 13:43:56

Am doing the 5:2 diet at present. Its much easier than any other one I've tried. Smoked salmon and a poached egg for breakfast washed down with 2 mugs of coffee. Lovely!

Coolgran65 Thu 22-Sep-16 14:56:31

Today, two slices batch loaf with butter and marmite, and a glass of milk at about 10. Doing chores and wanted something quickly.

whitewave Thu 22-Sep-16 16:10:41

Scrambled eggs on toast (gluten free so as small as possible) Squeezed orange and coffee. First thing tea about 2 mugs full
Tomorrow gluten free cereal
Next yogurt and fruit -autumn raspberries from garden

numberplease Thu 22-Sep-16 18:20:08

Jam or Primula cheese spread butty, occasionally have crumpets for a change.

Alima Thu 22-Sep-16 20:13:42

Several cups of strong black coffee followed by fresh fruit then yogurt and a banana.

Ilrina Fri 23-Sep-16 16:54:19

never mind the sugar in cereals, have you checked the salt content!

Pollengran Fri 23-Sep-16 18:06:17

llrina yes salt is something people forget at times. Personally, I can't eat breakfast at all. A coffee and a cigarette do me until teatime wink.

Granarchist Fri 23-Sep-16 19:23:37

grilled home-grown tomatoes on sour dough and serious coffee.

DanniRae Fri 23-Sep-16 19:43:59

I had some crusty white bread left over so had bread and milk -I used to have this as a child and still enjoy it now. In case people don't know of this delight it's hot milk, cubes of bread and sugar.

Surely I'm not the only one to eat this? BTW I only have it very rarely grin

rubysong Fri 23-Sep-16 23:15:17

5:2 day so just a cup of tea but on other days it is home made meusli, (Tesco cheapest with lots of nuts and fruit added), milk and stewed apple. There are lots of windfall apples at the moment so I am cooking them down and using them anywhere I can. Once the clocks change we have porridge.

grannyactivist Fri 23-Sep-16 23:25:47

DanniRae for those of us from up north (other places may have different names) this was known as 'pobs'.

Willow500 Sat 24-Sep-16 06:21:31

How I miss my strong black coffee - decaff just doesn't cut it sad Always have the same for breakfast - 4 strawberries, 6 grapes, few blueberries, handful of bran flakes with plain yogurt on top. At the weekend I can have toast and marmalade and if away in a hotel a full English but that's very rare these days! I can't go without eating anything as we're up at 5.

DanniRae Sat 24-Sep-16 08:41:53

I like the name pobs for bread and milk grannyactivist- thank you for telling me! It's definitely pobs from now on.

hildajenniJ Sat 24-Sep-16 08:57:09

Today I've had toast with a slice of home roasted ham, and a cup of tea. Usually it's just the toast, but the ham tempted me when I opened the fridge.

EastEndGranny Sat 24-Sep-16 09:25:57

Discovered while staying abroad at my son's that I am quite happy with porridge oats and cold milk poured over them. Have this with fruit - strawberries at present - and seeds such as sesame, sun flower, chia ??? ( South American seeds that are supposed to help lower cholesterol) and nuts. But, if it's a walking day I have scrambled eggs and have my cereal for lunch!

Greyduster Sat 24-Sep-16 09:28:34

My mother used to call it pobs too. I wonder why, if I ate bread soaked in milk I would immediately chuck it back up again, but I can eat Weetabix mush (which is what it turns into when DH puts too much milk in) and not give it a second thought.

EmilyHarburn Sat 24-Sep-16 09:30:27

I have Lidle very nutty muesli with added mixed nuts, desiccated coconut, etc. I have this every day and it has brought down my cholesterol. Husband used to cook himself porridge but has now joined me. He has prunes on his with yogurt.

I gather that constipation is more common in older men than women.

baubles Sat 24-Sep-16 09:49:20

Almost every morning I have two cups (not mugs) of freshly brewed coffee. About half an hour later I have full fat Greek yoghurt with berries and/or nuts and a dollop of fresh cream if there's any in the fridge.

I'm still on the coffee at the moment, lazy morning smile