Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

single mums

(153 Posts)
grannypiper Tue 18-Oct-16 08:25:45

Hi, i have never started a post but this morning i have steam coming out of my ears after reading a article in my local rag about a young single mum moaning about how hard done by she is, the council re wired her house and according to her this meant the broke her washing machine ! and left her freezer off for so long it destroyed all of the food inside ( she had completely restocked her freezer before the planned work started), council say she signed the form to say the freezer had been turned back on after the work was completed but that is there argument to fight over, what got me fuming was that she is photographed with the usual sad face and is complaining that she had to use a credit card to buy a NEW washing machine and ask for a council loan to buy food and this has made her feel SHE cant provide for her children and that she has never asked for anything in her life !!!!!!!!!!! aagghh i was fuming, as a single mum she has asked for and has been given a council house, no doubt was given a maternity grant to buy a pram, cot and highchair of course dont forget the milk tokens or the rent being paid and the weekly income support. How dare she say she provides for her children or that she has never asked for anything in her life, and then have the cheek to go to the media and slag off the hand that feeds her,it is outrageous. These young girls are incredulous and have great sense of entitlement. Rant over.

BlueBelle Fri 21-Oct-16 08:51:35

??

gillybob Fri 21-Oct-16 08:46:53

Of course you are forgiven . Thank you BlueBelle smile

BlueBelle Fri 21-Oct-16 08:44:26

So sorry Gillybob I didn't mean you at all I m afraid when my iPad picks up one name I ve used before it changes it for me without me realising

Please accept my apologise the others are right I was meaning to address original post so sorry to have upset you hope I m forgiven

gillybob Fri 21-Oct-16 08:36:51

Probably DaphneBroon and annsixty but the last paragraph of BlueBelles post is very nasty and I find it quite hurtful to have it addressed to me.

annsixty Fri 21-Oct-16 08:21:40

I think you were mistaken for OP Gilly

DaphneBroon Fri 21-Oct-16 08:21:35

Did you mean grannypiper (OP) rather than gillybob, blue belle?

gillybob Fri 21-Oct-16 07:50:41

I beg your pardon BlueBelle I think you should take some time and actually read my comments. I have said no such thing. Nasty .

BlueBelle Fri 21-Oct-16 06:14:56

Most people for and against have made valid points
It's over generalisation that is at fault here Some single Mums play the system Some wayward Dads play the system many single mums are good people who are struggling It puts everyone's backs up when people are all lumped together
Gillybob the rant about this particular young lady who you know nothing about except what the paper has told you ( revved up to get people hot under the collar and full of anger and hatred and buying more papers to read the 'truth') has put some people s backs up because you have implied ALL young single mums get the earth nowadays, unfortunately you have fallen into the deadly media trap and are trying to take everyone else with you
Calm down having steam coming out your ears isn't good for you Accept there are those that do and those that don't and if you still have that steam, tackle the source not the mass who you know diddly squirt about

DaphneBroon Thu 20-Oct-16 16:00:33

I think a few of us also picked that up,*autumnissad*, it may be a case of predictive text from an over-assiduous keyboard!!
You should see some of the things mine comes up with!

autumnissad Thu 20-Oct-16 15:56:13

This is my first post and apologise for being pedantic, Grannypiper. When you said, "these people are being incredulous", did you mean that they're being incredible? Sorry again, from a pedant.

gillybob Thu 20-Oct-16 13:24:50

The pill was definitely out when I go myself pregnant in 1979 (aged 17) but I wouldn't have been able to get it anyway. My parents would never have agreed (in fact they would have went crazy at the thought of it) and I had a VERY old fashioned family doctor of whom I was terrified and who would have told them anyway had I approached him alone.

Eloethan Thu 20-Oct-16 13:18:15

42% of marriages end in divorce, and I believe the figure is even higher for people in relationships who are not married.

Many of these relationships involve children and so there are many parents who are single-handedly caring for their children. They are mostly mums and so they get all the flak but, as someone else said, what about the dads, some of whom are very reluctant to contribute towards the upkeep of their children?

A feature in a newspaper doesn't really tell us anything about this young woman's day-to-day life. It seems to me that the original post makes certain assumptions and jumps to certain conclusions ("the usual sad face", "these young girls") which could be argued as being a reflection of the poster's own mindset and prejudices.

I think parents should be responsible and care for their own children, as far as they are able. But I also think sometimes support is needed and many of us have needed or will need support at various stages of our lives so we should not deny it to others - and what could be more important than trying to ensure that children are cared for?

Why are so many people so resentful these days - and often of people who really have very little to be resentful of?

DaphneBroon Thu 20-Oct-16 10:14:27

Your point is?

Im68Now Thu 20-Oct-16 10:09:18

I'm sure, if I remember right, the birth control pill came out in 1962. I remember, People were saying what as actually happened, that the single mother will become common. Don't you agree ? thlwink

DaphneBroon Thu 20-Oct-16 09:35:25

Phrases. ye gods (and little fishes)! used to express mock-heroic indignation. a feast, sight, etc. (fit) for the gods: said of something delightful or amazing

As mcem says, "mountains, molehills" , neither here nor there really.

Anniebach Thu 20-Oct-16 09:31:23

I will have what Gilly's having please

mcem Thu 20-Oct-16 08:55:14

I'm with DB on this one- different words, different meanings - not just alternative spelling.
Mountains and molehills?

gillybob Thu 20-Oct-16 08:54:20

Oh I wonder what is "yes, yes, yes, yes, yesssssss, yessssssss, yessssssss"

I can remember it from somewhere but have totally forgot. wink

DaphneBroon Thu 20-Oct-16 08:43:32

Not sure where you are coming from on this Anya
Admittedly the usage of both is archaic, but
"ye"= you (plural)
"Yea" = yes
confused

Anya Thu 20-Oct-16 07:12:28

A little learning is truly a dangerous thing Daphne ....other spellings are quite acceptable!

Granby Wed 19-Oct-16 22:26:32

As usual, the criticisms are mostly aimed towards the single mum. What about the dad? Where is he? At least mum is doing her best for her children. How is she supposed to 'contribute' to society with a four year old and a baby to look after? I'm 62 now, but I remember very well what a struggle it was,as a young single mum having left an abusive relationship, to manage on benefits with three children under 7. I think age should bring a bit more compassion and less judgement.

Granby Wed 19-Oct-16 22:26:31

As usual, the criticisms are mostly aimed towards the single mum. What about the dad? Where is he? At least mum is doing her best for her children. How is she supposed to 'contribute' to society with a four year old and a baby to look after? I'm 62 now, but I remember very well what a struggle it was,as a young single mum having left an abusive relationship, to manage on benefits with three children under 7. I think age should bring a bit more compassion and less judgement.

Anniebach Wed 19-Oct-16 22:10:55

Well said Barmyoldbat. Many single Mothers who choose to have a child do so not for benefits , they want a home and a family , many have not known the security of these

Barmyoldbat Wed 19-Oct-16 21:26:18

Good for you Ruth that you believe its your responsibility to provide for your children, as I did BUT there are times when you need help and support and if you are unlucky in having no family support where do you go? What about these poor kids brought up in care, most of them just want a family and to feel loved. Ana, I had a job in marketing that involved reading every paper every day and the one I hated the most was The Star.

Ruth1958 Wed 19-Oct-16 21:14:11

Stranded by men! I think that's a really ridiculous comment these day..... a great many women (not all) want to have a baby without a man.