Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Weevils!!

(79 Posts)
kittylester Thu 27-Oct-16 20:17:52

I've just opened a bag of flour to coat some fish. The bag had been opened previously and sealed with a clip. After I had tipped some on to a plate I noticed it moving.shock I threw it away, along with all the other open (and clipped) bags and disinfected the shelf.

Three questions:

If we had eaten the flour without my noticing would it have done us any harm?

What else do I need to do?

Where do the little b*****s come from?

foxie48 Fri 08-Dec-23 19:19:11

I've had weevils in flour, tbh they didn't bother me and they just got cooked. I think the main problem is we keep our kitchens too warm so we hatch things that would stay dormant in a cooler temperature.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Dec-23 16:49:04

I use plastic containers with the kind of lids that have a vinyl seal inside and clasps on the outside for all dried goods, or if I don't have sufficient of them large glass jars with screw-top lids, or tins with tight-fitting lids.

That prevents weevils, food moth etc.

You asked what else you should do: make sure there are no crumbs, grains of rice etc stuck between the side of the shelves and the cupboard or the sides and bottoms of the drawers.

Mice are not a problem, as I am in the happy position of owning a queenie cat who devotes two mornings a week to keeping down the outdoor mouse population, and no mouse who tried to move in here would live long enough to eat anything.

Trubel does not, repeat NOT approve of mice, except as a freshly caught mid-morning snack.

MayBee70 Sat 09-Dec-23 17:01:43

I can’t believe how much mess one mouse can make. It had been living in the larder. I’ll find out tonight if there’s more than one. I still don’t know how it had got in.