Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New clothes that smell of paraffin

(29 Posts)
wilygran Sat 29-Oct-16 08:42:09

Being careful with money, my favourite fashion houses are TKMaxx & Primark, but some items absolutely stink of the paraffin type preservative they are treated with. Has anyone found a sure fire way of getting rid of this? I've had to take a couple of things back because even after washing the smell made them unwearable. You could smell me coming & sitting in a crowded bus was downright embarrassing :-)

glammanana Sun 30-Oct-16 21:16:12

I purchased a blouse from an ebay seller and when it arrived it stank of smoke,I complained to the seller to be promised it came from a non-smoking household and to be fair the smell went when washed I was told that the grey plastic bag it was posted in was the cause and the material of the blouse absorbed the odour from the bag,apparently it is a well known problem in ebay land.

Jaxie Wed 02-Nov-16 07:46:11

The smell is formaldehyde used to stop clothes imported in bulk in containers from going mouldy in transit. They are mostly produced by sweatshop labourers in the Far East and the Phillipines. I was in Asda once when I overheard two women saying how marvellously cheap kids clothes were there. " Yes" I butted in rudely, "but Asda is making huge profits on the backs of slave workers in Chinese factories." If looks could have killed...

wilygran Sat 19-Nov-16 14:46:54

Thanks POGS. Just caught up with your helpful reply!