Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

cyclists lycra

(22 Posts)
shandi6570 Sun 06-Nov-16 17:54:51

I could and probably will get carried away with comments about this post as I am a fervent motorcyclist pillion passenger and the two are like oil and water. IMO some cyclists think that they can do what they like on the roads, riding two abreast even when it's on busy roads where one abreast can be passed, not wearing helmets, do they think they are immune to coming off and having a very nasty accident?, going through traffic lights (seems they think they don't apply to them) riding through people on the footpaths, oh I could go on and on. I know that I am probably only talking about a minority of cyclists, but it does make my blood boil when we spend a lot of cash on giving them priorities on roads which they don't pay for.

In answer to why we don't like groups of cyclists, well we have to second guess several minds at once whereas with a lorry or someone driving a load we only have to work out what is in one mind before passing, or not, as the case may be.

As for black lycra, give me black leather any day grin smile

Okay rant over, and as many posters say, I am now hiding behind the settee, glass of wine in hand winewith tin hat on, or in my case crash helmet.

Izabella Wed 02-Nov-16 17:24:50

Agree the dark clothes are dangerous I cycle regularly, both town bike and MTB and with Lycra but top always in dayglo colours. I used to poo poo Lycra but it the only thing to wear if cycling long distances even with gel saddles.

Gagagran Sun 30-Oct-16 15:37:10

Cyclists' shoes have metal cleats on the soles which clip into the pedals. They can get quite sharp from walking on roads, paths etc. so could damage internal flooring quite easily.

JackyB Sun 30-Oct-16 15:26:45

As cyclists' feet by definition don't touch the ground I don't understand why they should take their shoes off in the pub?

LadyGracie Sun 30-Oct-16 14:51:56

I'm not brave enough to be a road cyclist, we're lucky enough to have a plethora of cycle paths through the beautiful countryside

Azie09 Sun 30-Oct-16 14:32:43

I wasn't saying only slim ladies should cycle but I was commenting overall that those who wear lycra might think about decorum. I wear comfortable bottoms to cycle and I do have one pair of lycra togs and if I wear those, I wear a long top to cover up my nether regions. I do find wobbly bits on show a little, ahem, awkward to observe.
The tiny bit of riding out with others I've done included stern instructions not to hold up other traffic. As ever, I think it's buxom (or the male equivalent ) types who go head down, bottoms up, ignore the rest. They do though have a perfect right to be there and are not usually being deliberately aggressive, just doing their thing.

Teetime Sun 30-Oct-16 11:44:11

When we were on holiday in wales a group of cyclists in Lycra came into the pub in which we were having a meal. They kept their cycle shoes on and clumped all over the wooden floor in the bar (deafening) and then over the carpets in the dining room to the loos. When I go walking I take my boots of at the door of any pub or café - I think they should do the same or are they welded on?

Wobblybits Sun 30-Oct-16 11:36:44

Hopfully they don't make lycra in my size

Jayanna9040 Sun 30-Oct-16 11:31:12

Slow moving trailers periodically pull over to let the traffic that's piled up behind them pass? They do round here anyway. It's that serving out into oncoming traffic to change place in the pack that terrifies me!

LadyGracie Sun 30-Oct-16 11:29:40

I used to agree Wobblybits but riding any distance even on a gel saddle with any other type of trousers with a seam has an horrendous effect on your nether regions, well it does mine anywayshock

Wobblybits Sun 30-Oct-16 11:21:42

Only slim people should wear lycra, IMO, goodness If I wore lycra it would cause a major pile up.

LadyGracie Sun 30-Oct-16 11:15:48

Yes downtoearth those flashing lights are very effective, white at front red at back, at one point they were frowned on by the police, I don't know if this opinion has changed. Yes I agree harrigran Lycra trouser do show up all your bodily imperfections, I have always been blessed with a large derriere, the thunder thighs came later. I always wear longer tops so as not to subject others to the spectacle grin

Bellanonna Sun 30-Oct-16 11:12:44

You made me laugh downtoearth?

grannylyn65 Sun 30-Oct-16 11:07:59

Are you saying only slim ladies should cycle ?

Azie09 Sun 30-Oct-16 10:35:00

I cycle and although I'm not particularly a Lycra fan, I do wear some as it's comfortable and allows you to stay cool. What I've noticed is that cycling clothes sold by, for instance, Halfords or other stockists follow fashion, as ever, and the latest 'fashion' is for black - stupid and dangerous.

Perhaps those male cyclists should wear codpieces, they could look very Shakespearean!! There is a female equivalent of over exposure, the worst example of which is the puffing, overweight, dare I say it, granny, who really should know better before exposing her huge thighs and big bottom in all its glory for the world to see!!! I sometimes wonder if in their heads they think they are slim and willowy!

Finally, just a little question - what is the difference between a 'pack' of cyclists and a slow lorry, a tractor or a 4x4 towing a trailer? Does our perception govern our reaction?

Happy Sunday!

harrigran Sun 30-Oct-16 10:08:45

Maybe they wear black as it is more forgiving over lumps and bumps, pretty much the same reason that I wear black trousers. White or lime green lycra really does not leave anything to the imagination grin

AlieOxon Sun 30-Oct-16 09:49:06

Now that's a new one on me - 'what his mother gave him' !!

as a driver I do approve of the flashing lights though.

downtoearth Sun 30-Oct-16 09:41:49

grin ladygracie have seen many cyclist with a red light flashing under their bottoms at the back of the bike it does help in the dark when driving ..

LadyGracie Sun 30-Oct-16 09:30:14

You brightened my dull Sunday morning downtoearth, weather wise that is, had a good giggle.
I must admit I wear black lycra leggings when cycling but with a fluorescent jacket and fetching pink helmet.
We came upon a cyclist last week, at night, completely in black, no lights, his only saving grace, the plastic on his pedals which glowed with our headlights.

downtoearth Sun 30-Oct-16 09:17:14

I thought this thread was about older gentlemen in tight lycra visiting coffee shops and passing very close to face and eye level as I was seated giving me a very unwelcome birds eye view of what his mother gave him it curdled my hot chocolate and put me off my yum yum,I might have regurgitated the whole lot if it had passed within a whisker of my face clad in fluorescent green.
I Take your point about black clothing in dark weather being a danger to motorist/cyclist....it certainly endangered my health that day ...I almost choked

Katek Sun 30-Oct-16 09:07:36

Lycra........nooooooo!!

grannypiper Sun 30-Oct-16 07:36:00

I live in an area that is a favourite of cycling groups, they come from far and wide to enjoy our roads, as it's very hilly it's mostly the really serious riders visit. As i sit here early on this dry Sunday morning i have already had 2 packs of them race (way too fast) down the hill into the village, it was still dawn when the went past and most had tiny lights on their bikes some didn't even have any lights at all but what i would really like to know from any cyclists out there is why oh why are cyclists now wearing dark coloured lycra? they have become so hard to see, up until a few years ago cyclists wore really bright colours now its black,can any cyclists give me an answer, i really want to know