Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren telling you what they want without being asked

(56 Posts)
ggmarion Fri 04-Nov-16 09:18:32

I have just had a text from my 17 year old granddaughter telling me that she just wants money for Christmas. She is otherwise well mannered, though I hardly ever hear from her. Her much younger brother also sent a text saying it is nearly Christmas but didn't say what he wanted. I don't know if my son knows about this, but in earlier years I did receive an email from my DIL asking me to send money for the DGCs Christmas presents. Had I asked what they wanted it would have been different. On the plus side, I don't have to spend time wondering what to get for them. Should I says something or just keep the peace?

norose4 Fri 04-Nov-16 20:35:36

Brilliant, wouldn't wash now !lol

Jayanna9040 Fri 04-Nov-16 20:53:38

Why not text b ack saying, of course. And I think I'll have money as my present from you!

f77ms Fri 04-Nov-16 20:54:40

I personally would not like to be told to give money if I had not asked what they would like . I tend to buy small presents from September onwards and by the dreaded Christmas I have lots for each child . They always seem happy with having a big bag of gifts each even though none cost more than a few pounds each . I also give one of the charity gifts ie 6 chickens, a goat and the nicest one was to have a new star named after one child .
I know families who brag about how much they spend on their children at Christmas and just don`t understand the thinking behind it.

grannypiper Sat 05-Nov-16 08:28:56

ggmarion, in my post i meant to say "i wouldn't" mention the "c" word. I love stansgran's idea

ggmarion Sat 05-Nov-16 08:43:01

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have six dgc and none of my daughter's would dream of doing this. My daughter would be horrified if she thought they did. I suppose it may be a sign of the times that you ask for what you want. There is a saying in these parts "The bairn with the biggest mouth gets the most cake" hmm

mancgirl Sat 05-Nov-16 08:49:13

Norose4 - deciding between the Bunty other Judy annual was a major decision. Bunty usually won ad I had the comic weekly! Now with our first 9 month old dgs Christmas seems to be taking on the magic again. For now he can't ask for anything but it's lovely choosing toys again. Nephews boys are requesting money - 2 gifts less to think about ☺

carerof123 Sat 05-Nov-16 08:55:57

And it is supposed to be the season of good will. Bah Humbug!!!

Funnygran Sat 05-Nov-16 09:06:36

Used to love those annuals too. I still have a couple of Girl annuals and a School Friend from the early 60's. I would have been so disappointed not to get at least one for Christmas.

norose4 Sat 05-Nov-16 11:31:16

Mancgirl & Funnygran, good to know I'm not alone , those annuals were a real joy & a treat ,especially as we wouldn't know until Christmas Day if Father Christmas would get the right one! lol happy days ?

yggdrasil Sat 05-Nov-16 11:56:23

I get messages from my daughter as to what the grandchildren want. Now they are just into teens, it has been money, because the things they want cost too much for one person to buy, so they put it all together to get what they want. By the time they are 17, they will be pretty well adult and I would expect them to tell me themselves.
I wouldn't presume to know what a 17-y-o nowadays would be in to , and that includes 'little things they can unwrap' I would rather give money than something that would go in the bin within a month.
I do expect them to tell me what the money was spent on. That goes for their parents too, who get money for birthdays:-)

notanan Sat 05-Nov-16 15:07:45

I don't think that was rude if you always buy for her TBH, we have a few relatives who spectacularly miss the mark with my DDs gifts, I feel bad because they've gone out and spent their money on DDS and the girls will inevitably put whatever certain people gave them in the next charity shop clear out we do. Some stuff they get doesn't even get opened

That makes my girls seem ungrateful, they're REALLY not! It's just one or two people who (nicely) go to the effort of buying for them but get it SOOO wrong, e.g. clothes too small, something more suitable for a 6 year old when they're 11, that sort of thing.

It's awkward because how do you say "don't waste your money on wrapped presents" without sounding hurtful or grabby?

The worst ones are when you can see that they really put thought into it, so it's marginally related to the girls interests, but still miles out and won't be used or used much

Penstemmon Sat 05-Nov-16 15:33:52

When cash is tight and Christmas expensive it does seem more practical to provide what it wanted rather than not!
however the spirit of Christmas seems a little brushed under the carpet in those circumstances. We try to organise an family outing to get the Christmas feel and then the cash / asked for gift seems less 'cold'!

For adults we do a Secret Santa approach so each adult gets one gift. Adults prepare a list and we set a spending limit.. we do it via the Elfster website. Saves hours of dithering over what to get and means that someone gets one thing they really want wrather thn half a dozen things they probably don't!

notanan Sat 05-Nov-16 15:45:08

I think sometimes teens can be a breath of fresh air!

They'll see their parents smile and be polite about something they're not happy about and think "why not just say?"

bluntness/ being upfron can be refreshing…. or rude… I think you have to factor in tone, history, context and age to figure out which it is

annodomini Sat 05-Nov-16 16:23:39

I rarely give clothing as gifts, but if I do, I ask for a gift receipt and hand it over to the mum so that a more suitable garment - or the right size - can be bought.

notanan Sat 05-Nov-16 16:33:09

Gift recipts are only worth it if you've made sure there's a branch of same shop near the recipient. We've sent un-worn outfits that did have gift recipts to the charity shop because the expense and time of travelling to an out of the way store in another town would be more than the value of the swapped item!

Same for gift cards. Have unused ones. (And no, not all gift cards are valid online even for retailers who do have websites! annoying!)

If the idea is that the recipient choses something that suits, surely it makes no sense to not give cash so they're free to chose at a place that suits them?

norose4 Sat 05-Nov-16 17:16:16

Whilst I do agree money is better than an unwanted /unsuitable gift, it would seem to me the spirt of Christmas is lost, each person may as well just buy a present for themselves ! I think Penstemmon & family have the best answer/compromise secret santa & a family outing is a brilliant solution , after all that's what it's meant to be all about .

pollyperkins Sat 05-Nov-16 17:39:17

Yes but there was a time when my brother and I both used to snd cheques, which seemed a bit pointless! Embarrassing too when their cheque is for more! So now we ask but usually end up sending vouchers (equestrian) which at least doesnt just go into the bank and get 'lost'

norose4 Sat 05-Nov-16 17:49:51

Another good compromise idea Pollyperkins?

rubylady Sun 06-Nov-16 04:18:01

You could put money in a card but also make a voucher for her to spend some time with you, say on a shopping trip or to the cinema. That way you get to spend time together too and she remembers having fun with her gran.

Christmas does not need to be expensive if you use your imagination. Make your own vouchers can be useful, babysitting service or doing the housework for someone, taking them for a meal, washing the car, anything that gives a break or spends some time together. Even a book of vouchers gives choice, say one a month. Make a gift, paint a canvas, write a poem or a story, do an album of growing up photos, decorate a shoe box and put favourite sweets in shredded paper for them to find.

I've got some small chocolate Father Christmas's and snowmen, some cellophane bags, curling ribbon and thank you stickers (the bags, ribbon and stickers I already had) and I am making up little thank you bags for the deliver people, Tesco delivery men, post lady and my Hermes delivery lady. Only a little something but it's still nice, I think. smile

rubylady Sun 06-Nov-16 04:20:41

Also, when I get sorted out and everything is tidy and I have some time on my hands, then I am going to make albums up for both my ED and DS of photos of them growing up. They might not appreciate them now, or even know about them, with my ED not speaking to me, but I will leave them for them and then at least they will know that they have always been in my thoughts, regardless.

norose4 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:53:17

Brilliant Rubylady that's showing the true (I think) spirt of Chritmas, well done , be good if we could all follow your example in some small way m

Im68Now Sun 06-Nov-16 10:11:24

Cards Against Humanity

This is a Christmas present that proving very popular this year.

Christmas is well and truly money making time of the year.

yggdrasil Sun 06-Nov-16 17:49:58

I'd not heard of that grin. And you can get it for free!

Jalima Sun 06-Nov-16 17:53:40

DGD asked me for something for her birthday that costs 99p

Jalima Sun 06-Nov-16 17:55:19

ps I did ask her first what she wanted, she did wait until asked grin