Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren telling you what they want without being asked

(56 Posts)
ggmarion Fri 04-Nov-16 09:18:32

I have just had a text from my 17 year old granddaughter telling me that she just wants money for Christmas. She is otherwise well mannered, though I hardly ever hear from her. Her much younger brother also sent a text saying it is nearly Christmas but didn't say what he wanted. I don't know if my son knows about this, but in earlier years I did receive an email from my DIL asking me to send money for the DGCs Christmas presents. Had I asked what they wanted it would have been different. On the plus side, I don't have to spend time wondering what to get for them. Should I says something or just keep the peace?

Jalima Sun 06-Nov-16 17:57:22

rubylady I have some scrapbooking albums all ready to do with all the stickers etc to go in them.
I just need to get motivated, they seem like a good idea when I bought them about 8 years ago!

PamelaJ1 Sun 06-Nov-16 18:23:52

My DGS ,aged 5, and I started a Christmas list in April! Unfortunately his birthday is in Jan-too near Christmas- so he has a long time to wait between treats.
It's a very long list now but a couple of things have been consistently mentioned so a Lego shark that can eat mimi figs is at the top. I love it and hope it will continue for years but when he's older I'm ready for the request for money?

Mumsy Mon 07-Nov-16 09:43:21

this nanny isnt here just for xmas and birthdays! If my adult grandchildren cant be bothered with me at any other time of the year, I cant be bothered with them for xmas and birthdays!

valerie72 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:56:59

I think the fact that your granddaughter felt able to text you and ask what she wanted is great. She probably wants to save up for something Special, maybe ask her what she Is planning on buying. My children dont have a good relationship with their grandparents and just shrug with embarrassment when their grandparents ask what they want for xmas.

DAncer66 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:31:10

Babysitting Saturday night, I ask wee one’s what they preferred for Christmas money or gifts.

Five year old wants money, lots of money. I asked her what she would buy with all that money and she said. “Toys of course!”

Six year old wants toys. She said, “I wouldn’t sell my toys even if someone offered me 80 pence.”

The older one’s of course prefer the cash.

So that’s me sorted. smile