Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren telling you what they want without being asked

(55 Posts)
annodomini Fri 04-Nov-16 10:05:01

I'm sure she thought she was saving you the trouble of going shopping to find a suitable gift. I now assume that the GC like to have hard cash but usually find a 'wee minding' to supplement the money.

Anya Fri 04-Nov-16 09:54:47

Well presumably you've asked them every year what they want, have you? So they're just pre-empting you this year. Shows initiative I'd say.

Elegran Fri 04-Nov-16 09:46:43

Why not send them money, and also a very small personal gift that you chose yourself? Then they have something to open and keep, and also money to buy something that they chose themselves, that won't getput into the cupboard and never looked at again. The best of both worlds!

It isn't worth making a fuss about imposing your choice on them now that they are old enough to have their own taste. That applies to gifts as well as to life-style choices.

Hunt Fri 04-Nov-16 09:26:00

how about...'' what a good idea, makes sense, then you can get exactly what you want.''

ggmarion Fri 04-Nov-16 09:18:32

I have just had a text from my 17 year old granddaughter telling me that she just wants money for Christmas. She is otherwise well mannered, though I hardly ever hear from her. Her much younger brother also sent a text saying it is nearly Christmas but didn't say what he wanted. I don't know if my son knows about this, but in earlier years I did receive an email from my DIL asking me to send money for the DGCs Christmas presents. Had I asked what they wanted it would have been different. On the plus side, I don't have to spend time wondering what to get for them. Should I says something or just keep the peace?