Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help/advice Re sister in law.

(45 Posts)
kittylester Sun 06-Nov-16 08:38:53

Dh is one of four boys and I have 2 brothers. One of DH's brother has children around the same age as our older children so his wife and I have always been close. She is an only child so we have been like sisters. Like real sisters (I imagine) we have been closer at times than others. She is 75 (don't know if that has any relevance at all)

Her husband has awful arthritis so she has had to curtail her volunteering which she loved, their beloved dog is on borrowed time and their elder son died last year.

I ring her once a fortnight or so (she doesn't do technology) but she rarely rings me. The last two times that I have rung them her husband has told her but she has been too busy, in the greenhouse, to talk to me.

Is it me, is she depressed or what? What do I do now?

Skullduggery Mon 07-Nov-16 09:37:08

I think a nice card sounds lovely but I also agree with a previous poster who suggested sending her a David Austen rose as she obviously enjoys gardening.
It's the right time to plant the bare root ones and they have an enormous selection to choose from on their website.
Maybe look for one with a colour/name that would resonate with your SIL?
My DIL sent us 2 last year and we've enjoyed seeing them flower so much that we've sent for the catalogue and ordered some more this year. We live in Ireland so you don't get many English rose plants in the local garden centres.

Stansgran Mon 07-Nov-16 16:12:52

I have a few years to go to reach SIL's age but if one of my children had died a year or so ago I would probably be still unhinged with grief-why my child not me sort of thing. I think Thatbags idea of a weekly postcard is a good idea. It wouldn't need a reply but let her know she is in your thoughts- little pin pricks of light in a very dark sky.

kittylester Mon 07-Nov-16 20:40:50

I have just had an email from my sister in law, in reply to mine, saying 'i love you, thank you for caring!' i hope that's good!!

Thank you all for letting me 'talk'.

Coolgran65 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:32:19

Kitty ...I'm so glad you've heard from your sis-in-law. x

cornergran Mon 07-Nov-16 21:37:42

That's better kitty, if you go with your instinct you get it right. Pleased for you.

Anya Mon 07-Nov-16 22:03:58

That's good news. Your SiL obviously knows you care about her and what she's going through.

janeainsworth Mon 07-Nov-16 22:15:15

Glad to hear that Kitty x

Shanma Wed 09-Nov-16 00:23:52

Alot of good answers here, Perhaps she has withrawn into herself, and that is VERY understandable, or as Daphne says, perhaps she is being overprotected. People deal with Grief in their own ways. All you can do is to keep the channels open...keep shining that light down the tunnel, and one day...when she is ready I am sure she will walk within reach again
flowers

kittylester Thu 17-Nov-16 14:57:18

I've resurrected this because it's happened again.

I had an email about a week ago saying that DBil's op had been cancelled and that he was really fed up. I rang a couple of days later and left a message on their answerphone Drsaying we were sorry etc and that I'd try calling back. I got a message on our answerphone yesterday with my sil sounding quite upbeat. I rang today, had a good chat with a very fed up brother in law. I asked to speak to my sil who shouted, 'sending lots of love dear' and that was that. confused

She has apparently fallen out with her remaining son too.

What do I do now?

Jalima Thu 17-Nov-16 15:48:55

same thing happened to me at the weekend

'Lots of love darling' she shouted but didn't speak to me hmm

almonds Thu 17-Nov-16 16:12:28

Talking for myself - I've had some difficult times in recent years and really try to avoid speaking with anyone because I just don't have any resources left. What has been really helpful is messages from people saying hello, thinking about you, I'm here if you need me. It always feels so supportive. I feel cared for.

janeainsworth Thu 17-Nov-16 16:32:53

kitty sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. sad

It's good that you have supportive friends almond flowers

cornergran Thu 17-Nov-16 23:06:15

Agree, jane, just leave her be kitty, she knows where you are and she knows you care. It sounds as if you are very different people and her way will be different to yours. Give it a couple of weeks, if she still won't talk send a card and just wait. You can't do more.

Swanny Thu 17-Nov-16 23:34:25

kitty it hurts to feel rebuffed when all you want to do is help someone you've obviously been close to for many years. Just keep telling her you care about her and be there for her when she reaches out. After such a long relationship you are obviously feeling her sadness too and would benefit from talking together but I think you just have to reassure her of your love and wait till she comes to you. (((hugs)))

kittylester Fri 18-Nov-16 07:33:14

Either Dh or I will be talking to her Dh on a regular basis so the opportunity will be there. I think she maybe will talk when she can do it without her dh overhearing as it's his on going problems are the issue.

thatbags Fri 18-Nov-16 07:49:35

I know what it's like to feel so overwhelmed that you don't want to talk to people, especially the ones who care the most. One withdraws in order to cope. Bit like just ramming a lid down and sitting tight. Perhaps that's what's happening with your sis-inlaw, kitty flowers

petra Fri 18-Nov-16 11:32:05

I too had this with a friend who I have know for over 50 yrs. She told me her husband had been diagnosed with cancer, she stopped I taking calls, texts, emails. 9 months later when everything was sorted, she came back to me and it was never spoken about.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Nov-16 15:19:22

My best friend some years ago went into a depression and couldn't even talk to me on the phone I sent her little letters regularly and did get answers it went on for over a year and since then she has told me how much she appreciated the letters as they were almost all she had or could tolerate of the outside world We are fine now and go out for lunch every few weeks as if nothing had ever happened

Anya Fri 18-Nov-16 16:43:05

She's lost a child.