Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Principles.

(70 Posts)
rubylady Tue 15-Nov-16 03:18:54

So, you have parcels turning up every so often of things that you have ordered online.

You have a box delivered. You check the name. It is yours. You check the address. It is yours. You check the postmark. You can't read it. You open it. It contains something that you cannot remember ordering. You check your accounts. You cannot find it. You check for an invoice or written note. There is none. There is only newspaper for packaging. There is no record of where it has come from or who from.

What would you do? Would you keep the item?

notanan Tue 15-Nov-16 18:01:52

I agree it does sound like the scam described on here, but there's another possibility I've thought of:

Amazon saves all the previous gift addresses I've used as do other companies, and if the last purchase I made was a gift, when I order next time I have to be concentrating and change my address back to mine IYKWIM. I often don't get any invoices at all in amazon buys if it's not from amazon themselves.

gillybob Tue 15-Nov-16 18:04:31

Blimey Anya thank you for that tip off ! I know my dad orders a lot of stuff from Amazon and Ebay (music and books mainly) and is always getting parcels. I will tell him to be on his guard.

rubylady Tue 15-Nov-16 21:27:25

It's a vintage telephone, working and very nice.

The box is a capri sun box, filled with Manchester Evening News newspaper and the address is hand written. Nothing else. I can't work out the postmarks.

I have checked with darling son and no, he hasn't sent it but then we haven't had a blue moon recently, have we? grin

No idea. I will keep the box but probably use it for now as I can put my puffed out frilly dress on and pretend I am Dame Maggie in Downton! grin

Any ideas? X

rubylady Tue 15-Nov-16 21:31:04

My sister lives in Manchester, but I haven't spoke to her since my dad's funeral. It's all very strange. confused

rubylady Tue 15-Nov-16 21:35:53

Re: The scam - I have not had any phone calls (ironic) so I doubt that this is the issue plus it does look like it has come from someone's home, an ebay item. The plot thickens. Still confused

Battersea1971 Tue 15-Nov-16 21:39:32

Sounds as if you might have solved the problem then, it's from your sister in Manchester!! Only you know the significance as you don't tell us why you haven't spoken to her since the funeral. Maybe something that belonged to your dad?

rubylady Tue 15-Nov-16 21:43:14

No, I dealt with all my dad's affairs. It could have been something that belonged to my mother though as my sister is the one looking after her. Maybe it's subliminal that I should use the telephone to get in touch with her? Miss Marple eat your heart out! grin

rubylady Wed 16-Nov-16 03:37:48

Problem solved! A man from ebay has sent me a message. I bought a cup off him and somehow he has sent the cup to the telephone person and the telephone to me! Numpty! So, at least I know where it is from now and can return it. Good, conscience clear. smile

sarahellenwhitney Wed 16-Nov-16 08:20:53

Hang on to it leave it in its box.Most important check your bank statements to observe if there is a charge you do not recognise if so then get in touch with your bank.

DanniRae Wed 16-Nov-16 08:47:49

Phew! Glad the mystery has been solved! I was on the edge of my seat following all the threads. Hope the cup arrives safely grin

Jalima Wed 16-Nov-16 12:13:59

rubylady I ordered something for DH years ago (a model plane).
A box arrived containing a gun shock
It was a replica but very realistic.

Bbbface Wed 16-Nov-16 12:21:09

That sounds like eBay to me

Jalima Wed 16-Nov-16 16:09:59

do you mean rubylady's parcel?

Mine gun was from a supposedly reputable firm in Bristol shock

Aslemma Thu 17-Nov-16 00:38:49

I believe the law states that unsolicited goods must be kept unused for a period of 6 months, after which you can safely do whatever you want with them. This also applies to goods which you didn't order, even where there is an address in the parcel. In this case you should notify the company to collect them, stating, as above, that you will keep them for 6 months.

Aslemma Thu 17-Nov-16 10:11:53

As I remember the law states you have to hold on to any unsolicited parcels for 6 momths, after which you are free to do what you like with them. Even if there is a clear indication where the parcel came from, if you didn't order it your only responsibility is to let the company know it was not ordered and that it is awaiting collection by them. You do not need to go to great lengths to do this, an e-mail , letter or phone call will be sufficient, but keep proof that you have contacted them.

Aslemma Thu 17-Nov-16 10:14:59

I wish I could do a delete! My first message was written last night but disappeared into the ether. I re-wrote it this morning and both have gone through. ?

Nain9bach Thu 17-Nov-16 10:28:41

I once had a parcel delivered to my house - right address and postcode. It was a mobile phone. Kept it in box. Then I received a knock at the door it was the lady that lived in my house before I purchased it asking if a mobile phone had been delivered. Clearly she had it sent to her old address for a reason - not for me to question. It was an odd thing to do - however it could have been for own personal protection.

marionk Thu 17-Nov-16 13:29:46

If it's your name and your address why wouldn't you keep it? Surely someone has sent you a gift and forgotten to enclose a note

Didiegwama1 Mon 21-Nov-16 21:18:26

Have you perhaps participated in a competition?